Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
Over-boiling = compacted PF cakes??
    #1592657 - 05/30/03 12:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

From experience I have worked out that microwaving Pf cakes is a bad Idea due to the fact that the substrate expands and retracts into a tight wad (useless 4 air exchange inside the cake).
How about when you use steam sterilization can you overheat the cake and cool it down to fast and have the same compacting effect??
I have been steaming on a med-high temp for about 1hr to 1 1/2 hrs then cooling in the cool night air 8% celc.
The results where cakes that stalled about 2 weeks into the show(some where %80 colonised others 20%) then would not be aroused due to a possible contam that set in at around 3-4 weeks. It was a wet ratpiss type smell with no mould.
Upon disecting the cakes I found weak micelium growth in the centre.
So the question is;" when you use steam sterilization can you overheat the cake and cool it down to fast and have a compacting effect??
Sorry No photos. :frown:

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Over-boiling = compacted PF cakes?? [Re: trev]
    #1593129 - 05/30/03 02:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The center is the last part to colonize, so if your cakes stalled, the center naturally would not be colonized. That's why there was no myc in the center. Next time you steam sterilize, steam your jars for 1 hour only to avoid over cooking. This should be enough. Some people even recommend 45 mins, but I always do 1 hr to be safe. Also adding too much brown rice flour to your substrate makes the substrate too compact. Use a 2:1:1 ratio of verm, brf, water as your recipe.

--------------------

Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
Re: Over-boiling = compacted PF cakes?? [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #1595166 - 05/31/03 12:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks 4 your reply I useed 2:1;1 recipe I will make my cakes 24 hours prior to sterilization. And only sterilize for 45 min.

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Offlinepsilo9com
Koh Koh Gadget

Re: Over-boiling = compacted PF cakes?? [Re: trev]
    #1595403 - 05/31/03 02:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Under sterilizing is worse then over sterilizing in my opinion.

A foaf boiled one day for an hour, let it cool, and then the next day for another hour. Look up Fractional Sterilization in the FAQ. They recommend once for 30, second time for 30, and last time for 60, letting them all cool down before doing it again.

I advocate this method. A foaf is using it and hasn't has any problems. He used 2 cup verm, 1 cup brf, 1 cup water.

The idea behind it is any spores that survived the intense heat germinate once the substrate cools. Once those fuckers germinate, you boil the shit out of em right when they don't expect it and kill em all. Spores can survive heat, but there's no vegetative growth that will.

Invisiblevitamink
This weathersucks
Loc: Steers and Queers
Re: Over-boiling = compacted PF cakes?? [Re: psilo9com]
    #1595449 - 05/31/03 02:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ive steamed for over 3 hours b4 at a very low temp. the cakes colonized fine. they are now pinning after using the dunk / cold shock tek. it was just an experiment. the sub. did get slightly compacted but didnt really affect the growth, maybe slowed it down a bit if any.

when you fill your jars, just fill em really loose.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation