Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Is he nuts?
    #1590868 - 05/29/03 08:25 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Clinton has suggested that maybe in the future presidents can be reelected beyond the two terms currently set.

link

Somebody assure me he's talking out of his ass... :blush: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Is he nuts? [Re: hongomon]
    #1590883 - 05/29/03 08:28 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

He's not the first president to have a beef with the 22nd Ammendment. Reagan was critical of it, too, as well as a few others I can't think of at the moment. I'm sure Bush would LOVE to be president for life, and I bet the American people are dumb enough to let him, too.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: Is he nuts? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1590987 - 05/29/03 08:47 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, you were asked to make me feel better, not worse. Come on, deceive me so I can relax!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1591015 - 05/29/03 08:52 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Relax.  Your government has things under control.  :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #1591214 - 05/29/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If Clinton had been allowed to run for a 3rd term, then the Shrub would still be in Texas  :grin: 

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Anonymous

Re: Is he nuts? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #1591239 - 05/29/03 09:34 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Truer words have never been spoken.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Is he nuts? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #1591663 - 05/29/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

If Clinton had been allowed to run for a 3rd term, then the Shrub would still be in Texas  :grin: 

And Klinton would have passed his own version of the Patriot Act, complete with FBI files being handed out to Democratic operatives, IRS audits of those opposing him and tanks rolling into residences and burning the occupants alive...  Oh wait, that happened without a massive terrorist attack on American soil and without him passing his version of the Patriot Act.  Gee, maybe George Bush isn't as bad as I thought. :blush: 

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: Is he nuts? [Re: Evolving]
    #1591676 - 05/29/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

And Klinton would have passed his own version of the Patriot Act, complete with FBI files being handed out to Democratic operatives, IRS audits of those opposing him and tanks rolling into residences and burning the occupants alive...  Oh wait, that happened without a massive terrorist attack on American soil and without him passing his version of the Patriot Act.  Gee, maybe George Bush isn't as bad as I thought. :blush: 

Heh, I didn't even think of that.  When you liberal pussies bitch about how bad bush is on personal freedoms... Clinton passed the gun control measure that made it harder for responsible law abiding citizensto obtain firearms, and clinton was the one that ILLEGALLY had military forces used in Waco.  Well, at least they didn't shoot any bullets that day...er... except the ones they found.. um... inside the compound.  Right... I wish we had good ole Civil Liberties Clinton back to Free us up some!

Jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Is he nuts? [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1591688 - 05/29/03 11:12 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Waco was indeed extremely fucked up. In fact, it's the main reason why I don't join my fellow liberals in Clinton-worship. But that was just one incident. With the Patriot Act, this administration is making it possible for several administrations yet to come to suppress dissent and strip people of their Civil Liberties.

--------------------

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
    #1591707 - 05/29/03 11:16 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Waco was indeed extremely fucked up. In fact, it's the main reason why I don't join my fellow liberals in Clinton-worship. But that was just one incident. With the Patriot Act, this administration is making it possible for several administrations yet to come to suppress dissent and strip people of their Civil Liberties.

Following clintons precedent could have done that as well. I am not saying that I agree totally with the PA, but liberals rant and rave about the possibilities of the misuse of the act, while hardly mentioning it when their hero commites these atrocities.

jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1591710 - 05/29/03 11:18 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

With the Patriot Act, this administration is making it possible for several administrations yet to come to suppress dissent and strip people of their Civil Liberties.

Indeed, when shrub is out of office and the next Clinton takes office (or Gepfart or whomever), you can probably count on them to use all the new found powers which shrub has set up for them. Let this be a lesson to all you Bush apologists out there, when he's gone and a Democrap gets in office... YOU'LL BE SORRY!

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
    #1591718 - 05/29/03 11:20 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Currently the president has the power to declare a national emergency, suspend the constitution, and go to war with a nation (for under 60 days) without any need for approval. Do you level these same charges, Evolving, at the writers of these laws?

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1591741 - 05/29/03 11:27 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I don't trust Bush or his gaggle of neocons if that's what you mean.

--------------------

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
    #1591754 - 05/29/03 11:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Not what I meant at all. You stated that some future president could possibly misuse these powers and using that warrant you chastized bush for writing them. Now, couldn't the powers that I listed be abused as well? Couldn't that lead to a dictatorship as well? Certaintly, but I don't hear you attacking the authors of those laws. If you are going to set a reason for judging a president, you have to apply that basic boiled down condition to every president.
jr

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1591765 - 05/29/03 11:33 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Currently the president has the power to declare a national emergency, suspend the constitution, and go to war with a nation (for under 60 days) without any need for approval. Do you level these same charges, Evolving, at the writers of these laws?

Personally, I think those powers suck as well.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1591814 - 05/29/03 11:46 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Not what I meant at all.  You stated that some future president could possibly misuse these powers and using that warrant you chastized bush for writing them.  Now, couldn't the powers that I listed be abused as well?

Yes.

Quote:

Couldn't that lead to a dictatorship as well?

Yes

Quote:

Certaintly, but I don't hear you attacking the authors of those laws.

Of course not, this is a text medium. :wink:

Quote:

If you are going to set a reason for judging a president, you have to apply that basic boiled down condition to every president.

I do, you just haven't seen any previous statements I may have made to that effect or are unfamiliar with my general outlook on vesting too much power into any political entity.  If I recall, it was Ronald Reagan who set up FEMA and by doing so laid much important groundwork for the implementation of a dictatorship.  Of course before that, we can look at many of the actions of the Roosevelt administration as well as the dictatorship, ah er... presidency of Abraham Lincoln, the precedence set by Washington during The Whiskey Rebellion, as well as the political victories of The Federalists during the drafting of the Consititution.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1592537 - 05/30/03 09:07 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

lol his reasoning was funny "if we have somebody in office who is 50, then 20 years later if we're facing the same type of problems we should be able to reelect him" or something like that is what he said..

who wants a 70-year-old in office? hell who wants a 40-year-old in office? Not me..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #1592555 - 05/30/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

And Klinton would have passed his own version of the Patriot Act

Just out of curiousity,and I mean this in a light-hearted way, but I really feel the need to ask...Does spelling things with a K denote evil? Amerika, Klinton, Klan...I mean...Whats WRONG with the letter K? I just dont get it...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Is he nuts? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #1592591 - 05/30/03 09:35 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It's a cultural thing among nerds, it looks more like 'Klingon.'

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1592643 - 05/30/03 10:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Goddamn the democrats are desparate.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]