Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

[LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans
    #15923001 - 03/09/12 03:02 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid
March 8, 2012 - nola.com

New Orleans police officials confirmed Thursday that the 20-year-old man who was fatally shot by a plain-clothed narcotics officer during a drug raid at a Gentilly house a day earlier was unarmed. New Orleans police officer Joshua Colclough, 28, fired a single shot Wednesday evening that killed Wendell Allen, 20. Police officials were guarded in their comments about the shooting Thursday, citing the ongoing investigation.

"We have not been able to yet completely understand what exactly occurred," Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said Thursday.

The shooting took place inside a red-brick, two-story home at 2651 Prentiss Ave. in Gentilly. Officers were executing a search warrant at the home following a days-old probe of marijuana dealing. Serpas said officers later found drug paraphernalia and 138 grams of marijuana -- about four and a half ounces -- inside the residence.

Officers are permitted to use deadly force, such as firing a gun, when they have a reasonable belief that they or somebody else is in imminent danger of death or bodily harm.

But on Thursday, NOPD officials offered no real narrative to explain what, if anything, prompted Colclough to fire on Allen, a former standout high school basketball player. Police officials repeatedly offered condolences to Allen's family, while vowing to conduct a thorough, transparent investigation.

Serpas acknowledged that Allen was unarmed, that he was shot in the chest by a police officer, that narcotics officers were searching for drugs.

"We still have very many questions to answer," Serpas said. "We will ensure and commit to our community that we will do so in the utmost of transparency and in the collaboration with our partners in the federal government, our partners in state government, and our supportive relationship with the independent police monitor."

The investigation that led officers to the Prentiss Avenue home began earlier this week. A confidential informant for a Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputy tipped off police that a man named "Troy" was dealing marijuana from inside the home, according to NOPD's application for a search warrant. Police identified the alleged pot dealer as Troy Deemer, 19.

The warrant states that Jefferson Parish Sgt. John Pacaccio and NOPD Officer Michael Voltolina watched the house for a 48-hour period and saw several "hand-to-hand" drug transactions in the driveway.

At 5:15 p.m., a New Orleans Criminal District Court Magistrate Robert Blackburn signed a warrant authorizing the search of the home, and authorizing the seizure of any drugs, particularly marijuana, or weapons that could be tied to a drug trade.

The search commenced shortly afterward, about 5:40 p.m. Wednesday, just before dusk.

Four JPSO deputies formed a perimeter in the back of the house, police said. Three NOPD officers lined the front of the building. Meanwhile, an NOPD sergeant and five other NOPD officers went to the front door, according to Serpas.

They were in plainclothes but wore "raid jackets" identifying themselves as police officers, Serpas said.

"Before they entered the residence, officers announced their presence and announced their intention to serve a search warrant," Serpas said. "Receiving no answer, they had to break the door."

The officers spread through the house.

"While some officers moved upstairs, a single gunshot was heard," Serpas added.

A single bullet struck Allen in the chest. It penetrated his lungs, heart and aorta, said Coroner Frank Minyard.

The lanky 6-foot 3-inch former basketball star fell to floor the in the stairwell. He came to rest on a landing. He died "almost instantly," Minyard said.

There is no evidence that the gunshot came at close range; there was no evidence of gunpowder on Allen's skin, Minyard said.

Allen's sister, 14-year-old Jazmine Jones, said her brother was shirtless, wearing only pajama pants. She said Allen was upstairs inside his room, and she was watching television with a younger brother, when police barged through the front door.

"As soon as they run upstairs, I heard a gunshot," Jones said. She described a chaotic scene, with mass confusion, as police spread through the home, guns drawn, and children scuttling about.

"I don't understand why this happened," she said.

Police said that five children, ranging in age from 1 to 14, were in the house at the time. The children were taken to the Child Advocacy Center Wednesday night, police said.

Two men were detained inside the residence. Brandon Boles, 19, and Davin Allen, 20, were both arrested and booked with possession with the intent to distribute marijuana.

Serpas said officers recovered "digital scales, packing materials and 138 grams of marijuana," inside the home. Though Allen was unarmed, someone inside the house alerted investigators to a gun "hidden inside the house," Serpas said.

Officers later discovered a .380 caliber handgun. Serpas did not indicate whether the gun was legal or illegal, or whether it had been registered or stolen. Nor did he link it directly to Allen.

While Serpas released these details at a late-afternoon news conference at NOPD headquarters, Allen's relatives stood outside, holding signs aloft demanding justice for their loved one.

They alleged that the shooting was unjustified and called police "killers."

"They killed him for nothing," said Allen's aunt, Karen Allen, 32, of Sulphur.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu on Thursday pledged that the NOPD will conduct a "full, open and fair" investigation of the incident. In a midday briefing in his office, the mayor called the shooting was a "tragic event."

"My heart goes out to the family of the young man who was killed," he said, while declining to talk in detail about the facts of the case. Landrieu said he and Crime Commissioner James Carter met with Allen's mother and grandmother for about 45 minutes Thursday morning in City Hall.

"She was upset, obviously," Landrieu said about Allen's mother. "She lost her baby boy. She wanted to make sure that justice was done."

Landrieu repeatedly emphasized that two FBI agents are embedded in the NOPD's Public Integrity Bureau, which investigates officer-involved shootings along with the agency's homicide division. The city's Independent Police Monitor will also monitor the NOPD's investigation, he said.

Allen was a star basketball forward at the former Frederick Douglass High School, where he averaged 21 points per game in late January 2010. He made the Times-Picayune All-Metro team. He also played football at the school.

According to online court records, Allen was arrested in January 2011 on a felony charge of possessing marijuana with intent to distribute. He failed to appear for his first court appearance and was arrested three weeks later.

In March 2011, he entered an "Alford plea" -- a plea deal in which the defendant is adjudicated guilty but does not actually admit guilt. Allen was given a five-year suspended sentence and credit for time served, the record shows, and released.

Other court records indicate that he had also been arrested on several minor municipal charges.

Colclough, 28, began his career at the NOPD in September 2007. Before serving on the force he worked at the New Orleans Private Patrol in the Garden District, according to his application to the city. His personnel file is relatively thin; he received a five-day suspension for his role in a minor traffic accident. He was reassigned to desk duty in the wake of the shooting.

Raymond Burkart III, a spokesman for the local Fraternal Order of Police lodge, urged citizens Thursday not to rush to judgment.

"We don't know what happened. And we can't guess, we need to find out the actual facts," he said. "It's only a day after the shooting. This thing is being investigated by no less than three groups within the police department, the police monitor, as well as federal agents."

Burkart, while declining to speak about Colclough, said that serving a search warrant is a high-stress, terrifying situations for an officer. "You don't know who's on the other side of the door, if people are hiding, if people are armed or unarmed."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: veggie] * 6
    #15923109 - 03/09/12 04:26 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

We need to start raiding police stations.

--------------------

Offlinerunningfox2002
Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #15923145 - 03/09/12 04:45 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

One guy dead, +5 kids scared to death of the cops now (if not already), cop gets desk duty instead of suspension, and all for a qp. 

It must've been some dank for that much effort and a bullet.  :eyeroll:

I know LA is strict in their laws and is about as bad as AZ, but damn.  Sad day.

--------------------
                              ...to have some fun?                            Nobody knows :wink:

Anything I say or talk about is strictly for my own search of knowledge and to satisfy my thirst of curiosity.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: runningfox2002] * 3
    #15923280 - 03/09/12 06:28 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Fucking cocksuckers

Invisibletrip forever
Stranger

Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #15923332 - 03/09/12 07:19 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

When will shit stop?!

Honestly, I'm fucking tired of it now.

You cant have a plant in your house, which is "endangering" children, yet someone else can enter your home and wave a gun in your pets/childs/families/friends for the plant and that isn't endangering children??

How about we "think about the children" for once and end this insanity? If we truly cared about their children we wouldn't be invading their homes, waving guns at them and taking their families away. (most of them don't want to live with their relatives, I presume.) FOR A FUCKIN PLANT.

So for once, yes I'll use the "think about the kids argument" but in the complete opposite away.

Btw, didn't even read the article, that rant was based off other raids. Welpppp let's read it :nerd:

--------------------

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: veggie]
    #15923354 - 03/09/12 07:38 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

those fuckers have quite the nerve to take the kids and lock up the other guys after they commit the much more serious crime (murder).
they just can't let people be no matter the circumstances.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: veggie]
    #15923433 - 03/09/12 08:16 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

I don't think there's a single person on this side of the drug war that understands.  Another sick and sad story and I'm sure we all know what the outcome to the internal investigation will be.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleJessica Swift
यन्त्र
Female

Loc: Flag
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: biggysmall] * 1
    #15923435 - 03/09/12 08:17 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

All over a mere plant.

OfflineMGMT
Not A Stranger

Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: Jessica Swift] * 4
    #15923547 - 03/09/12 08:55 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

We need the whole Kony 2012-type spotlight to be put on bullshit like this.

--------------------
Ron Paul 2012

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: MGMT]
    #15923603 - 03/09/12 09:10 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

It's pretty bad that I'm not affected by this shit anymore. I really hope one day one of the power trip pigs gets what's coming to him though. That would make my day. :sunny:

--------------------

OfflineTekDek
Stranger

Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: Eminence]
    #15923814 - 03/09/12 10:00 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with the so called "war on drugs." This should have never happened; there should have been no loss of life over such an insignificant amount of pot. The officer will probably receive a slap on the wrist and be involved in other raids in as little as 6 months, when he really belongs in jail. Selling a drug that brings a majority of people happiness is not a crime, but murder is. The "system" is broken.

Invisibletrip forever
Stranger

Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: MGMT]
    #15923856 - 03/09/12 10:09 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

MGMT said:
We need the whole Kony 2012-type spotlight to be put on bullshit like this.

Those idiots people crack me up.

They do realize the ugandian people aren't harmed by him anymore?

Back on point, that's a brilliant idea, I just wish more people would support it. They'd look at me like I'm the fucking nut job :sad:

--------------------

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: trip forever]
    #15924389 - 03/09/12 12:35 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

"But on Thursday, NOPD officials offered no real narrative to explain what, if anything, prompted Colclough to fire on Allen..."

==They are still working on making sure they all have the same story to protect their fellow officer.

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: SuperD]
    #15924443 - 03/09/12 12:46 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
Quote:

I don't think there's a single person on this side of the drug war that understands.  Another sick and sad story and I'm sure we all know what the outcome to the internal investigation will be.

it sucks for nola that serpas is their superintendent.  he was police chief here for a good number of years and all sorts of shit happened.  he's crooked as all hell and should not be allowed to be on any position of the police force

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: demiu5]
    #15924696 - 03/09/12 01:36 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

How many of you would feel the same if the drug in the incident was methamphetamine or Heroin?

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: Society] * 2
    #15924770 - 03/09/12 01:57 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

It doesn't fucking matter what the drug in the incident is or was.

And it doesn't matter that there was a gun in the house.

It's sickening and I mean it does BAD THINGS to my psyche that a guy like Oscar Grant can be punched in the face, beaten, physically placed on the ground under threat of further physical beating, have his HANDS BEHIND HIS BACK WITH HIS STOMACH/FACE ON THE FLOOR and then have some cop "accidentally" draw his gun instead of his tazer and shoot him in the back leading to his death.

That cop received less than TWO YEARS for killing that kid.  You can be caught with a baggie of dope that you can hide inside of a balled up fist and go to jail for LITERALLY TEN YEARS.

The guy that was in a car with my brother and shot him over a dozen times intending to kill him, robbing him and later going on to rob at gunpoint a convenience store and was cumlatively given TEN YEARS.

I LITERALLY have ZERO faith in the judicial system.  I have a TEENSY EENSY bit of faith in the "criminal justice system" in that there ARE some good cops who make good decisions and try to avoid harming people.  I've been the beneficiary of a few acts of kindness that have spared me time in prison over non-violent offenses.

When someone can break into your house and shoot someone in your house TO DEATH for POSSESSION OF A PLANT and NOTHING happens, this is a PROBLEM.  America is not what it used to be at all.

The same thing is true for a situation like Oscar Grant.  If you accidentally shot a cop or accidentally shop a civilian you might receive over 5 years.  If you killed them, accidentally or not, you could very likely expect to receive a life sentence.  As we know, killing a cop can get you the death penalty.

I'm typing this to be clear: THINGS ARE NOT AS THEY APPEAR ANYMORE FOLKS.

There literally IS NO RULE OF LAW for some members of society.  HOW CAN WE ARGUE OTHERWISE when so many people are being shot to death by the police for so many non-reasons and for so many non-violent "offense" reasons.

They are murdering us.  They are murdering our families.  This is especially true if you're a minority in America.  In some respects this is worse than the 50s and 60s, most especially the blind eye that media turns toward police abuses, fuck abuses, police MURDERS of INNOCENT individuals.

I'm not talking about arming up and shooting it out with the cops, but I am talking about being SMART and SECURE in your persons and effects.  THERE IS NO MORE RULE OF LAW.  Hide your papers and docs, hide your firearms and weapons, hide your illegal substances, fortify your homes (always think in terms of making things take longer, not in preventing the inevitable), draw up appropriate escape plans in the event of a raid, etc.

There are literally phrases that I am concerned about typing on this internet messageboard due to fear of prosecution/investigation.

This is NOT the "United States of America" you grew up in older folks.  Things are different now and it's extremely important that we adapt to the current climate.

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: Society]
    #15924773 - 03/09/12 01:57 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

If that was the only difference, identical.

--------------------

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: Society]
    #15924865 - 03/09/12 02:18 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

I think most people would or should agree that the killing of a harmless person is not justified by having or selling any chemical.
Plus heroin is only bad if your wreckless and you let it overcome you other wise its just another substance

OfflineDr. Myco
The Grand Bat
Male

Loc: US Flag
Re: [LA] Unarmed 20 year old man fatally shot during marijuana raid in New Orleans [Re: biggysmall] * 1
    #15924956 - 03/09/12 02:40 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Fucking disgusting, shit makes me sick to my stomach. Can't wait for a revolution I'd gladly give my life to fight for true freedom.

--------------------
I don't use drugs to fill or fix a void in my life because they become a crutch, I use them to enhance what I already love. :mushroom2:

awesome new sig by 28064212

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #15925113 - 03/09/12 03:14 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Someone should start keeping a record of the number of unarmed innocent people shot and killed by the police over drugs.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals