Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineencryptor
 User Gallery

Motherboard constantly restarts
    #15910041 - 03/06/12 05:21 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

My computer was spontaniously restarting so I opened the tower up to see the cpu fan wasn't spinning.  I tested with a second cpu fan but still not spinning.  so i wanted to test for continuity on the cpu fan header with use of a multimeter however the computer shuts off too fast.  I took out the cpu as well and still the computer shuts off fast.  Is this a definite motherboard problem??  My hard drives aren't even plugged in while testing.  thanks.:rasta:

Edited by encryptor (03/06/12 05:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Motherboard constantly restarts [Re: encryptor]
    #15910258 - 03/06/12 05:57 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Can you get into the BIOS before it shuts down?

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

Re: Motherboard constantly restarts [Re: DieCommie]
    #15910988 - 03/06/12 07:57 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Do you have another power supply available?

Offlinecokane
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Motherboard constantly restarts [Re: magicbastard]
    #15911396 - 03/06/12 09:08 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Sounds like a short circuit mang...

Have you changed any of your hardware lately?

Can you give more details about your hardware configuration?

Speccy is a easy way to find out http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.html

I have seen shorted a hard drive cause a machine to auto shutdown.I thought the PSU was bad so we replaced it, but that didn't fix it, so I started unplugging stuff, turned out the hard drive was bad.

This probabbly isn't the case but the back of your motherboard is connected with risers that keep the mother board from touch the computers case, if the mobo touches the case you are hitting ground and shorting out, which is very umm like bad and stuff... :2girls1cup:

magicbastard I have a 300 watt PSU in my bedroom I keep tripping over  :lsdabc: ...

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Motherboard constantly restarts [Re: cokane]
    #15914318 - 03/07/12 02:42 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Unplug all unnecessary hardware from the motherboard, including the header connections for the power on/reset switches and the front panel leds. Also disconnect stuff like USB, audio connectors etc. Basically start the mainboard with only a power supply, a video card (+ monitor) and a simple speaker connected to it. You can turn the board on by briefly shorting the two header pins of the power-on switch. See if it turns on and remains on, and listen for any beep codes. Judge by the beep signals if the board starts up ok (one brief beep is good; anything else implies an error; long/repetitive beeps signal serious issues such as a memory failure). If all goes well, you should get the BIOS POST screen. Does that happen? What beep code do you get?

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Motherboard constantly restarts [Re: koraks]
    #15914379 - 03/07/12 03:01 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

is there by some chance another socket you can plug that CPU fan power cable into? 4 pin right? Can you plug it into another 4 pin that doesn't have a jumper on the board? See if it spins when you turn the PC on? It might be the 4 pin socket. Unfortunately, if it is, then it's going to be hard to determine that your board is worth keeping, unless there is another place on the board you can plug it in while keeping the heat sink mounted over the socket at the same time. The whole board may be good, you might get post and good working bios and everything etc. but if you can't get the heat sink fan to spin then it's going to be hard to keep that processor cool

and if so then good bye entire board if that socket over heats. What main board is it? It should be listed between two expansion slots on the board. Koraks said to remove all things not necessary to test bios, all expansion cards, to only use on board i/o for video audio and network, and to remove the hdd, leave the ram, and test the psu. This is really unlikely it's the psu, but give it a shot anyway you can't be too careful. Now that you have, tested it with no expansion cards, no USB connected, nothing unnecessary, even the drive to boot to is disconnected from the sata or ide controller, whichever your board uses, and psu cables to each as well, does the fan spin? All this will test is if your psu has a rail blown out, or is inadequate, 300 watt sounds pretty old.

Anyway I don't know what else to say, good luck... I'm wondering if your board is inadequate if it's cheaper to  build or buy a new pc all together. Oh well.....

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Motherboard constantly restarts [Re: imachavel]
    #15919306 - 03/08/12 12:24 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Make sure your USB devices are all good and haven't been yanked on really hard.  Power is supplied to most USB ports, which allows you to wake the computer by hitting the keyboard/mouse, so if there is a short anywhere on that circuit that could be causing a problem.  Just throwing it out there...

My first guess would be a PSU since the fans aren't spinning on the mobo.  If that doesn't do it then the mobo is likely shot... you could do a ton of trouble-shooting, but if the mobo is under warranty just RMA imo.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Jump to top Pages: 1