Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: evildee125]
    #15902167 - 03/05/12 02:28 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

it's mechanical gayness

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineunderfliptown
I suck and you should kill me

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: indica]
    #15902189 - 03/05/12 02:36 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I just keep it real. I do what I want. If that makes me a hipster I don't care because the truth is is that hipsters wont even be around in 15 years, but I will. And I will be exactly the same. So what would that make me then?

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: underfliptown] * 1
    #15902194 - 03/05/12 02:37 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

a persipster

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Loc: amsterdam
Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: underfliptown]
    #15902212 - 03/05/12 02:49 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
I just keep it real. I do what I want. If that makes me a hipster I don't care because the truth is is that hipsters wont even be around in 15 years, but I will. And I will be exactly the same. So what would that make me then?

I feel really bad for you if in 15 years you'll be the same.
Ever heard the saying, "with growth comes change"?
Your statement pretty much says your done growing which makes me sad for you, even more sad than you being a hipster. Ok well maybe not.

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Offlineunderfliptown

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: fee]
    #15902218 - 03/05/12 02:52 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I don't wanna change. All change leads to is conformity...

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: underfliptown] * 1
    #15902226 - 03/05/12 02:58 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
I don't wanna change. All change leads to is conformity...

That is the furthest thing from the truth.
That's just saying your not going to grow as as a human being and is very sad. Everyday things change you. You are in denial.

How old are you anyway?

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15902231 - 03/05/12 03:08 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: underfliptown]
    #15902236 - 03/05/12 03:14 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Hahahaha

You honestly think your not going to grow and change from here on out? You have so much to learn.
Be honest with yourself.

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
Turtletotem said:

Religion is fun.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15902239 - 03/05/12 03:15 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I reached enlightenment when I was 15 and havent changed since.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

#15902260 - 03/05/12 03:38 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

That's impossible.
I can shoot that statement down right away just because you weren't fully matured or developed by 15. Your body kept growing after that and that's a form of change.
Say you cut off a finger, that forces change. Everyday you change a little whether you believe it or not.

You are ignorant and I don't believe you have reached enlightenment cause if you did you would understand something as simple as this.

Continue lying to yourself. It's your choice to do so.

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
Turtletotem said:

Religion is fun.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15902292 - 03/05/12 04:14 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I guess I'll have to, that is until i grow out of lying to myself.

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
    #15902301 - 03/05/12 04:19 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

indica said:
wtf... man I don't know many people who give that much of a fuck about their bikes... I've owned a bike for 10+ years and never given a second thought to 'maintenance'

you are telling me, in 10 years of owning a bike, you've never even oiled a chain, trued a wheel, replaced a worn out part, or fixed a flat?

how often do you ride said bike? i ride daily, and i can notice if my tire pressure is running low, or if my chain needs oiling--so yes, i do give enough of a fuck to consider the mechanical maintenance of the machine i rely on

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #15902341 - 03/05/12 04:55 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

indica said:
Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:

First, the basic idea that having less moving parts means less maintenance--also, not having the chain pass through a derailleur reduces friction on the bike chain--

:awedisgust:

wtf... man I don't know many people who give that much of a fuck about their bikes... I've owned a bike for 10+ years and never given a second thought to 'maintenance'

it's a fucking bike... the only people who should spend that much money on a bike are people competing on it or something.

i dunno, I only just heard about the whole 'fixed gear' thing a couple of months ago, to me it's just another thing to roll my eyes at.

I used to strip my bike down twice a month and pack the bearings using
vaseline, it was a thinner lubricant than most greases so it washed out
more frequently but it also allowed for a little more speed. mine wasnt
a fixed gear and everyone dressed like a hipster back then. I dont see a
real purpose in a fixie for the majority of riders

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery

Loc: all up in ya
Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15902345 - 03/05/12 05:04 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

i have a fixed gear schwinn beach cruiser. im about to put a engine on it.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #15902444 - 03/05/12 06:12 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15902864 - 03/05/12 09:17 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

indica said:
wtf... man I don't know many people who give that much of a fuck about their bikes... I've owned a bike for 10  years and never given a second thought to 'maintenance'

Letting a bike sit in your garage for 10 years while you drive around doesn't really count. If you relied on that bike for transportation, or if you constantly went mountain biking like I do then you would definitely be doing some repairs.

Quote:

underfliptown said:
I reached enlightenment when I was 15 and havent changed since.

Wow, seriously? :facepalm:

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery

Loc: all up in ya
Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: Prisoner#1] * 1
    #15902872 - 03/05/12 09:19 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

OMR?

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineBikeyourride
 User Gallery

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15903322 - 03/05/12 11:54 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

indica said:
Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:

First, the basic idea that having less moving parts means less maintenance--also, not having the chain pass through a derailleur reduces friction on the bike chain--

:awedisgust:

it's a fucking bike... the only people who should spend that much money on a bike are people competing on it or something.

i dunno, I only just heard about the whole 'fixed gear' thing a couple of months ago, to me it's just another thing to roll my eyes at.

I used to strip my bike down twice a month and pack the bearings using
vaseline, it was a thinner lubricant than most greases so it washed out
more frequently but it also allowed for a little more speed. mine wasnt
a fixed gear and everyone dressed like a hipster back then. I dont see a
real purpose in a fixie for the majority of riders

Vaseline eh, that must dissipate a fast rate. I use pure nickel grease for all my bikes, its thick and I'm sure it slows me down a bit but nothing of too much significance.  It last forever and when you have close to 10 bikes always falling apart on you, you're not going to take fix them every month.

--------------------
Kiss the cod.

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: morrowasted]
    #15903342 - 03/05/12 12:00 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I have a bike that was given to me as a fixed gear, I gradually got used to it but for windy downhills it just felt unnecessarily dangerous. The low maintenance argument is legit to some degree but a regular single speed really requires no more maintenance than a fixed gear. The weight argument seems kind of bullshit to me, I weigh 160 pounds and the weight of a derailleur system is negligible compared to the total weight of me and my bike. A derailleur can get damaged pretty easily though (not during riding necessarily) which I think is a reasonably good argument that it's one extra thing on the bike to break.

The one legit sounding practical (i.e. not stunt or "cool factor" related) advantage that I've heard for a fixed gear over a coasting single speed is that in conditions with very bad traction where your wheels are going to lock up anyway, you can pedal backwards with a fixed gear and stop faster than with any conventional braking system. Riding without a front brake on the road just seems stupid though.

What I did with the fixed gear bike I had was to swap out the rear wheel for a 3 speed, now I'm much happier with it. The top and bottom gears are somewhat 'lossy' so it's better if you spend more of the time in the middle gear. You can get a gear as low as a 13 or 14 but the lowest I could find at my local shop was a 16. If the gear ratio is high enough then you would only really need top gear for going faster on descents.

OfflineBikeyourride
 User Gallery

Re: is there any legitimate reason to own a fixed gear bike? [Re: psi]
    #15903358 - 03/05/12 12:05 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

It's so HARD on your knees when you're coming down hill and you have to slow yourself down. And come on, who really wants to slow down bombin' a hill!

--------------------
Kiss the cod.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies