Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejacobe
experimenter

When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ever?
    #1587621 - 05/29/03 03:20 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I have 12 PF-style cakes that all became contaminated after birthing with spots of green mold. I was too lazy to either cut the mold out or toss the cakes, so I just left them in the terrarium. Not surprisingly, the mold slowly spread. Some cakes are worse than others - most have two or three patches of mold, covering maybe 10-20% of the cake at this point.
However - I am about to pick an exceptionally large first flush of healthy looking shrooms! Judging from photos I have seen, the mold I am dealing with is almost certainly penicillium, but I wouldn't stake my health on it. Is there any danger that the shrooms are toxic?

I am not willing to risk consuming these shrooms if there is even a remote chance that they are dangerous, and will not do so unless I get a strong response indicating otherwise. I'm just curious, because the cakes seem to be fruiting better than usual.

*sigh* it seems like a long time to wait before I'll be able to grow clean shrooms again.

thx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ever? [Re: jacobe]
    #1587949 - 05/29/03 04:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

This is a dangerous advice you're asking. Personaly, i've harvested shrooms from contaminated cakes wiht green only if the green has just shown its presence, it's a small spot and it isn't spreading to the fruitbodies.
As it happened to me, it's your call. Btw, a pic would help.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinejacobe
experimenter

Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ever? [Re: MAIA]
    #1588330 - 05/29/03 09:34 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I know. I don't have a camera, so I'm gonna chuck them.

Now I'm faced with the problem of cleaning up before my next grow, because they've been contaminated for some time, there are probably spores everywhere.

So I soak everything I can in bleach - what about wood surfaces and carpeted floors? Will a germicidal UV lamp help to kill spores? I guess I'll clean up, rinse everything in bleach, vacuum, rinse in H2O2, vacuum, spray with lysol...

Is there any information available anywhere on the specific dangers of particular molds?

Invisiblecalicyco
Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ev [Re: jacobe]
    #1589990 - 05/29/03 05:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The areas around your house are already super contaminated with many many billions of spores and bacteria. Vacuum, wipe everything down, spray lysol around and you'll be fine. Just think of cleaning the place to look and smell clean. You wont get your carpet and tables and furniture sterile so dont even try, just what you would consider clean. You have the right idea..

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ev [Re: calicyco]
    #1600417 - 06/02/03 01:57 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The areas around your house are already super contaminated with many many billions of spores and bacteria. Vacuum, wipe everything down, spray lysol around and you'll be fine. Just think of cleaning the place to look and smell clean. You wont get your carpet and tables and furniture sterile so dont even try, just what you would consider clean. You have the right idea..

I would suggest trying to sterilize your tables and furnisher

Anonymous

Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ev [Re: OJ]
    #1601479 - 06/02/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I've been in a similar situation as maia...the morning I was planning to harvest a purple contam showed up..but was no where near the shrooms...so I am planning too ingest and have already eatin a small piece for testing

Offlineyabo1
Stranger
Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ev [Re: Anonymous]
    #4363762 - 07/02/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

bad idea

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ev [Re: yabo1]
    #4363895 - 07/02/05 05:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Green mold on casing/cake will not hurt you! Just make sure it's not on the shrooms, and you'll be fine! Just ask Diver!

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
Re: When is it OK to eat shrooms from cakes with contams? Ev [Re: Kalix]
    #4371473 - 07/05/05 07:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yea moldy shrooms isn't a good thing but a moldy cake wont hurt you...it's a fine line though sometimes as to where the mold stops and starts so just be careful,
Take care

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract