Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: xanderofpella]
    #15897444 - 03/04/12 02:06 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

BeefheartisBetter said:
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. I've wondered it for quite some time though. I'm hoping science figures it out soon, it's been one of those burning questions in my mind for quite some time.

After all, they don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Gumby]
    #15897463 - 03/04/12 02:11 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #15897464 - 03/04/12 02:12 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

i hate this thread so much that i am dedicating my 36,000 post to it.

way to ruin my night, Gumby. :shakefist:

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #15897492 - 03/04/12 02:18 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Oh whateva, drama queen. You're a total grammar whore and you know it.

Free sVs!
Female

Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Gumby]
    #15897529 - 03/04/12 02:26 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Where's all the fucking grammar education I was promised?! :crankey:

:grammarnazi::hitler::grammarnazi:

--------------------
Enlil said:

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #15897531 - 03/04/12 02:27 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

i farted.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#15897540 - 03/04/12 02:30 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

BlindSophist said:
Where's all the fucking grammar education I was promised?! :crankey:

:grammarnazi::hitler::grammarnazi:

Ask some questions, mofo! This grammar education doesn't come served on a sliver platter!

Free sVs!
Female

#15897546 - 03/04/12 02:31 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

In order to being properly well in the utilizing, the grammar must a good point having to be made!

--------------------
Enlil said:

Free sVs!
Female

#15897563 - 03/04/12 02:38 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

It would occur, given a thorough inspection of the various causes which motivate the articulation of beliefs in the English tongue, that an astonishing cornucopia of bullshit will inevitably manifest itself upon our palate of memetographic conceptions!

HOW is one to free themselves of the bullshit?! No apparent recourse would appear to be at hand.

GO CRAZY! DO WHAT FEELS GOOD! BAPPA BOOEY BAPPA BOOEY HOWARD STERN'S PENIS

--------------------
Enlil said:

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: DieCommie] * 1
    #15897566 - 03/04/12 02:40 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

BlindSophist said:
"Correct English" is fucking stupid, I'm sorry. Insisting English be used the way it's "supposed to be" makes no sense to me. Language is a fluid thing; it adapts to the needs and realities of its users. If you try to limit this, you're limiting expression and forcing people into prescribed boxes. It's a form of fundamentalism.

Its-ickens me.

Yea, I agree.  The way it's "Supposed to be" is simply the way old people want it to be because they dont like change and they live in the past.

Especially considering the rules were not designed to make communication clear or efficient.  They are an ad-hoc patch work of inconsistencies and historical relics.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and diagree with you guys. Yes, many of the conventions of English, or any language, are arbitrary and yes, many of them are determined by committees of mostly old people but maintaining standardization is important in any system. What if some Maverick young math geniuses who knew their shit but didn't like the old conventions started using new symbols, it probably would not work at all right? Well, English is not as unforgivingly precise but there is still tremendous value in maintaining correct usage.

Some things are not as critical. For instance, some people insist on using the article "an" anytime a word that begins with the letter h follows. That is simply douchebaggery and carries no value toward the goal of clear communication. If anything, they should be choosing their article based on the word that immediately follows it, not what comes two words later, so that when someone is reading their sentence it doesn't feel like hitting a mental speed bump. But if someone is using the wrong form of their/they're/there or abusing contractions or punctuation then their neglect to properly use the correct form potentially hinders their ability to communicate effectively and at the very least makes them look ignorant or careless.

So instead of taking the attitude that "Correct English" is a stupid idea and not worth maintaining, we should instead practice discernment, as we are all custodians of the "living language" and maintain the conventions that facilitate clarity of communication and discard the ones that do not carry value. No sense in throwing the baby out with the bathwater, to use the cliche.

Free sVs!
Female

Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Viveka]
    #15897574 - 03/04/12 02:44 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I don't think Correct English is useless, I just think it's vastly overestimated.

If you can understand from context the point being made, what is the problem? There really isn't one. The problem occurs when the point is not being effectively communicated.

--------------------
Enlil said:

Invisibledamnnation
Monsieur Rêve

Loc: Paris Flag
    #15897576 - 03/04/12 02:45 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I ain't no undummy  :mel:

English isn't my first language and it still pisses me off when people get they're/there and your/you're wrong etc. But I don't really care enough to say anything about it.:shrug:

Invisiblevenetianblinds
cabbage

Loc: Flag
Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: damnnation]
    #15897592 - 03/04/12 02:52 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

a lot of people on the border of michigan and ohio pronounce some words in annoying ways...

like, 'cat'

sounds like

'cyat'

very naggy

also, some in the same area say their 'c's and 'k's like a spanish 'j' almost. so with a really heavy accent around here

cat is like 'khyat'

it makes me cringe

--------------------
How do you know but ev’ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos’d by your senses five?

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#15897608 - 03/04/12 02:57 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

If you can understand from context the point being made, what is the problem?

What if I understand the intent but the next guy doesn't? Seems like a pretty haphazard way of going about things. What if the person reading your application or appeal or whatever doesn't want to deal with having to infer what you mean from the context, when you could have used the most correct and clear usage instead, and decides to throw your form in the trash and move on to the next one? I think the German language is cool because it is ultra precise and there is plenty of room to improvise and innovate by mashing words together(while still following the rules) to indicate new forms and intent. That's one reason, I think, why Germans do kick ass engineering work, because they maintain a precision in their language that allows them to be very illustrative and precise.

When it comes to language, I'll always take the side of upholding quality and standards, as opposed to some "progressive" concept of just going with whatever gets your point across, because our ability to communicate and connect with others is already extremely fragile as it is, and language is the vehicle we rely on most heavily for this purpose.

Free sVs!
Female

Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Viveka]
    #15897642 - 03/04/12 03:14 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

If you can understand the point, then that's really the best input you can give.

If you think the point can be communicated better, then explain how. Correct English does not a clearly communicated point make. Plenty of people amazingly well-versed in the classical foundations of the English language have devolved into incoherency and pageantry in their best efforts to make an abstract or metaphysical point.

I'm not saying it's wrong or bad to uphold some type of standard. Obviously, I respect that standard pretty profoundly. But there is a limit to its usefulness and applicability.

--------------------
Enlil said:

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#15897667 - 03/04/12 03:25 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

If you think the point can be communicated better, then explain how.

What point? Or was that rhetorical?

Free sVs!
Female

#15897741 - 03/04/12 03:52 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
Quote:

The point to which I refer is whatever that being made by whomever you are charging with incorrect use of English.

--------------------
Enlil said:

InvisibleHobozen
 User Gallery
Loc: Flag
    #15897754 - 03/04/12 03:59 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
Quote:

What if I understand the intent but the next guy doesn't? Seems like a pretty haphazard way of going about things. What if the person reading your application or appeal or whatever doesn't want to deal with having to infer what you mean from the context, when you could have used the most correct and clear usage instead, and decides to throw your form in the trash and move on to the next one? I think the German language is cool because it is ultra precise and there is plenty of room to improvise and innovate by mashing words together(while still following the rules) to indicate new forms and intent. That's one reason, I think, why Germans do kick ass engineering work, because they maintain a precision in their language that allows them to be very illustrative and precise.

When it comes to language, I'll always take the side of upholding quality and standards, as opposed to some "progressive" concept of just going with whatever gets your point across, because our ability to communicate and connect with others is already extremely fragile as it is, and language is the vehicle we rely on most heavily for this purpose.

anything can be misinterpreted, no matter the medium.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#15897799 - 03/04/12 04:28 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

BlindSophist said:
Quote:

Viveka said:
Quote:

The point to which I refer is whatever that being made by whomever you are charging with incorrect use of English.

:archiebunker:

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Those that know the difference between their and there, your and you're, its and it's, etc. [Re: Hobozen]
    #15897808 - 03/04/12 04:30 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

blankk said:
Quote:

Viveka said:
Quote:

anything can be misinterpreted, no matter the medium.

Right, which is exactly why you should attempt to use the most precise and standard form of the language.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder