Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Any martial artists out there? * 1
    #15769576 - 02/06/12 05:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm looking to better myself physically and mentally and meet new people.  What kind of martial arts would you recommend if at all?  I wanna be a badass like Bruce Lee :brucelee:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul] * 1
    #15769616 - 02/06/12 05:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Unfortunately I stopped practicing years ago. It's an incredible art. The positives are enormous and multifaceted. Mind, Body, Spirit.

Kung Fu is another one that holds a lot of interest for me, I never practiced it though. There's a shit ton  of them out there. I'd recommend that you look into each of them and then go with whichever one sounds most like what you're looking for.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #15769714 - 02/06/12 06:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you want to learn more about the philosophies of Bruce Lee, then I HIGHLY recommend picking up this book

Jeet Kune Do basically embodies the spirit of Gong Fu, but adapts to not be limited to any certain style.
Bruce Lee's entire philosophy of martial arts revolved around not limiting oneself to any one particular style or getting caught in certain patterns.
To take what is most effective, and use it. And to get rid of the excess.
That is an extreme oversimplification, but a good starting point.

Without Bruce Lee, MMA as we know it today, would probably not even exist. He was one of the first pioneers of the "mixed martial arts" philosophy.

I have studied (in order) TaeKwonDo, Wing Chun Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do (even though it technically isn't a 'style'), Chin Na, Tai Chi-Chuan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and a little bit of Krav Maga.

I haven't practiced or sparred for a couple years unfortunately, it is something you need to do regularly to stay sharp.

I recommend starting with the philosophies of Bruce Lee, learning the basics and moving from there.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery

Loc: all up in ya
    #15769853 - 02/06/12 06:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

dont you know, everyone on the internet is a kung fu master, haha.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #15770443 - 02/06/12 08:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you want to be able to most effectively defend yourself in a fight, something like jiu jitsu would be far better.

--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: Shroomism]
    #15770459 - 02/06/12 08:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
I was a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Unfortunately I stopped practicing years ago. It's an incredible art. The positives are enormous and multifaceted. Mind, Body, Spirit.

Kung Fu is another one that holds a lot of interest for me, I never practiced it though. There's a shit ton  of them out there. I'd recommend that you look into each of them and then go with whichever one sounds most like what you're looking for.

Word.  I'll definitely be researching the different types of martial arts and go from there.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
If you want to learn more about the philosophies of Bruce Lee, then I HIGHLY recommend picking up this book

Jeet Kune Do basically embodies the spirit of Gong Fu, but adapts to not be limited to any certain style.
Bruce Lee's entire philosophy of martial arts revolved around not limiting oneself to any one particular style or getting caught in certain patterns.
To take what is most effective, and use it. And to get rid of the excess.
That is an extreme oversimplification, but a good starting point.

Without Bruce Lee, MMA as we know it today, would probably not even exist. He was one of the first pioneers of the "mixed martial arts" philosophy.

I have studied (in order) TaeKwonDo, Wing Chun Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do (even though it technically isn't a 'style'), Chin Na, Tai Chi-Chuan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and a little bit of Krav Maga.

I haven't practiced or sparred for a couple years unfortunately, it is something you need to do regularly to stay sharp.

I recommend starting with the philosophies of Bruce Lee, learning the basics and moving from there.

I'll definitely be picking up that book.  I'm excited if I actually go through with this.  I think it'd be really beneficial for me.  Thanks bro.

--------------------

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: 4896744]
    #15770475 - 02/06/12 08:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

iThink said:
If you want to be able to most effectively defend yourself in a fight, something like jiu jitsu would be far better.

I'll look into that to.  I did a little bit of jiu jitsu when I was a youngin'.

--------------------

OfflineDest
Roller-Derby Coach
 User Gallery

#15770498 - 02/06/12 08:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

jeet kune do literally translates to "way of the intercepting fist"

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

#15771218 - 02/06/12 10:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i spent most of my younger life studying Isshin Ryu under my neighbor and his instructor named Walter VanGelson.  Walter studied directly under Tatsuo Shimabuku who is the father of Isshin Ryu...  The name is literally translated, "one heart method" or "one heart way". it's a combination of 3 or 4 different styles, i forgot which ones and how many exactly of Okinawan self defense, attack systems, primarily defense.  i've met Tatsuo's son Kachiro(sp?) because he and Walter basically grew up as older/younger brothers because Walter studied under Tatsuo while in the military stationed in Japan.  when his military obligation was up he never even returned home but lived on Tatsuo's farm and worked and studied hard.  Walter used to show us films, like of Tatsuo climbing up a pole, over the top of it and climbing down upside fucking down and he did it quick. it took me yeaaaaaaars to get my black belt under these men and our school had fighters who could easily fight several ranks above our own including myself.  i'm not trying to blow my own horn but i studied hard and trained hard.  Walter was so dedicated at training and teaching, some of his best performed Kata's were in a three piece suit at wedding in films he'd showed us.  people wanted to see him do his shit everywhere he went.  Walter was the classic Popeye, well developed bi's, triceps and shoulders but monstrous forearms.  he was a military plumber and got his plumbing license.  i bet he could completely fit a threaded joint with his hands only.  both my sensei and Walter are gone now but i ran into my sensei's son not too long ago and he's carrying on the dojo in the same basement i grew up in, i've been invited to return after being out of it for over eight years, it's been that long for me due to no fault of my own.  Isshin Ryu is basically short power punches and kicks but is also long range, it's combat even though the name translation hints softness.

later in life i studied ATA Tae Kwan Do...  it's Americanized with more emphasis on punching but still a predominant kicking art form.  that lasted for about a year when my instructor tried out for the US Olympic team and left the school altogether to train elsewhere.  just about everyone left when he left, the school sucked that bad afterwords.  then i started to study jujitsu, Brazilian Gracie form out of new brunswick which lasted until i became ill.  I'd never give up my Isshin Ryu and plan on returning to it but from a practical standpoint I'd look into Brazilian jujitsu if i were you.  you'll be able to protect yourself more completely in my opinion because let's face it, if you're attacked by someone they are not going to try and box with you, they're going to try to be all over you and jujitsu will give you the skills to end the situation quickly.

let us know what your decision is when you make it, I'd be curious what choice you make and good luck in whatever it is...

K~~~ :psychsplit:

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #15771229 - 02/06/12 10:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

awesome avatar Psychoslut...  i just bookmarked that bad girl...

OfflineBlack_Sunset
Amateur Anesthesiologist
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere California
Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: cateyes]
    #15774089 - 02/07/12 02:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I just started practicing Tai Chi! It's slower and more meditative, not really what you sound interested in though ha.

--------------------

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: Black_Sunset]
    #15774347 - 02/07/12 03:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Tai Chi is a beautiful meditative practice, more akin to mindfulness then mindfulness itself so to speak but impractical if you really intend to want to defend yourself in my opinion...  at my old house i had Chinese neighbors and the woman's father moved in with them from mainland China somewhere and he would always be out on the front lawn practicing Tai Chi very early in the Am whenever weather permitted...  it was really beautiful to watch...  i actually filmed him on many occasions but i'm not sure where this footage is, if i ever come across it i'll PM you and post it here in this forum...  i'm sure i've got some somewhere...

yeah, Tai Chi is very cool but not for fighting, but this is just my opinion, others may have good reasons why it is practical...  what do you think?  do you feel you could take those slow movements and turn them into a self defense system?

OfflineBlack_Sunset
Amateur Anesthesiologist
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere California
    #15777428 - 02/08/12 01:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

mmmm I don't think you can really take the moves and turn them into self=defense. I think the core strengthening, energy work, breathing, and awareness are what would actually help.

I went with Tai Chi because I enjoy yoga, and I am not a fighter. I enjoy being calm and meditative so this is ma thang.

let me see it if you got it, kensho!

--------------------

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: Black_Sunset]
    #15777848 - 02/08/12 06:34 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i will...  i promise i will find them...  yeah, if you're into yoga then Tai Chi is for you...  Tai Chi would be great for me too since i practice mindfulness everyday at any given moment i can apply it!  hey man,  check out my thread on MeetUp...  i think this would be a great way to discover others in your area who are into Tai Chi for free!!! it worked wonders for me!!! hey damn!!!  all that shit rhymes!

Kensho :psychsplit: :aliendance: <---- Tai Chi Master!

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

#15781039 - 02/08/12 08:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've flirted with Tai Chi.  The master that I met would give talks.  Basically what he was saying is that Tai Chi is a path to enlightenment.  And yes it can put people on the ground, but that's not what it's about, hence other martial arts like Jui Jitsu will be far better for that sort of dirty thing.

I'm also going to start some jui jitsu. my sisters new boy toy happens to have been doing it for many years and is a super cool dude who's willing to show me the ropes.

:thumbup:

Good luck reef.  The way I see it, mma should help us progress further on the way to inner freedom and peace.

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Invisibledomesticgnome

Loc: For me to know and you to find...
Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #15782094 - 02/09/12 01:07 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've recently started looking into the same type of stuff. I'm extremely well suited for MMA physically and mentally, so I thought I should try my hand at it. If anyone has and basic walkthrough that can be looked up online that would be really helpfull to me and the OP reeferaddict.

I've already begun to train with just the basic knowledge that I can find online, and through a friend that's done a fair bit of training. It would be fantastic if someone could point me to some links that help me decide the best suited techniques and styles.

--------------------

Offlinecandyflip420
Original Gangster
Male

Re: Any martial artists out there? [Re: domesticgnome]
    #15893651 - 03/03/12 06:51 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Ive gone through different kinds of training. When I was a kid I started off with tae kwon do , then as I got older I got into mma , I started jiu jitsu , and muay thai . I loved it but didn't have the money to continue .
Depends on what kind of fighting style you want to learn .
If you want to work on the ground game Jiu jitsu will suit you .
If you want to work on striking go for boxing .
If you want to work on striking and kicking , go for muay thai or kick boxing . I suggest muay thai though .
Then Judo is like a mix of grappling and tae kwon do ?
Kong fu is also good .
I would like to get back into training myself .

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order