Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Mycobags, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIrieMon
Stranger
Walk in Closet / Room as a Terrarium
    #1588832 - 05/29/03 03:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Afoaf has an 8' x 8' room that he is using to cultivate shrooms. It has a nice cool mist humidifier, portable heater, and an air purifier inside. Recently after successfully fruiting some mycobags, he cased some cakes and this is the question. When the casings are colonized, one typically moves the casings into a terrarium. I have been told that the major purpose of the terrarium is to provide the proper humidity for fruiting to take place. Can he essentially use this 8' x 8' room as his fruiting chamber, provided he can maintain ideal temperature and humidity conditions? He also periodically sprays some Lysol to try and control potential contaminants. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
Re: Walk in Closet / Room as a Terrarium [Re: IrieMon]
    #1589066 - 05/29/03 04:19 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

tell your friend he might as well get some rubbermaid tubs. as this should help him avoid the spread of contamination (if one tub get's contaminated, the whole room is not contaminated) also, the lysol in the air will fall directly onto the casings, which can lead to deformed mushrooms due to the chemicals.

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1589121 - 05/29/03 04:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

My growing area is a 20x14 foot room partitioned in half. Here are some of the problems I've encountered and solutions that may help you.

I use two warm air humidifiers. It would not work in a small terrarium, but works well in my grow room. Regulating the temperature may be a problem and you'll need to experiment with exhaust fans and your home AC vent. To ensure clean air, the AC vent and exhaust fans were channeled through hepa filters.

Maintaining a high humidity was also an issue. I lined the walls, ceiling and floor with painters plastic sheeting. This helped to maintain proper humidity and keep my work area clean.

One humidifier will not be enough. To raise rh levels in a room that size, you'll need two humidifiers. One humidifer on high was only able to bring the level up to 70% before the fans were triggered on to lower temperatures.

You'll also need to mop your area at least twice daily. To maintain a high humidity, my warm air humidifiers use almost 4 gallons a day. Four gallons pooling on the floor makes quite a mess.

Pros - Larger volumes possible. Can double as a sauna.

Cons - Messy. Uses lots of water. Requires multiple humidifiers. Hard to conceal.
Inefficient. High maintenance.

Unless you have plans to cultivate large volumes, it would be wise to make use of a smaller terrarium. Grow rooms are not very practical for small crops and not worth the extra efforts.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

OfflineIrieMon
Stranger
Re: Walk in Closet / Room as a Terrarium [Re: Ainasko]
    #1589190 - 05/29/03 05:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. My friend really wants to keep this as simple as possible. I'll advise him that making some terrariums seems to be his best option.

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1589572 - 05/29/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Mycobags, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation