Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them
    #15888083 - 03/01/12 11:45 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Species #1

Habitat: Found in my cow pasture, growing directly in old manure remnants.

Gills: The gill color is a dark greyish color (I am slightly blue-green color blind :frown: ). The gills are free.

Stem: brown, tan, grey, pretty fragile, slightly enlarged at base. Seem hollow.

Cap: Tan to gray, smooth, from 1/4 in up to 1&1/2in.

Spore print color: A dark color maybe grey blue or black.

Bruising: No immediate color change was observed.  maybe blueing or greyish brown blackening after 15 minutes or more.  I can't tell the difference between dark shades of blue green blacks.

Species #2

Habitat: Found in my cow pasture, growing from areas with old decaying hay possibly little manure in soil but not directly on manure.

Gills: The gill color is a white to yellowish beige.

Stem: also whitish yellow, pretty fragile, slightly enlarged at base. Seem hollow.

Cap: White to yellowish beige,  more mottled as they are younger and more smooth with size. Measures from 1/2 in up to 3in.  Seems to have pronounced nipple on older caps with brown center on cap.

Spore print color: Nothing showed up on white paper.  Maybe whitish?

Bruising: No immediate color change was observed.  maybe pinkish brown bruising.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewakenbake
rollin rollin rollin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them [Re: S0T3X]
    #15888092 - 03/01/12 11:48 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

pan papps and chlorophyllum molybdites

neither active.

OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

Re: Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them [Re: wakenbake]
    #15888126 - 03/01/12 11:54 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Cool,

Here's some info on Chlorophyllum molybdites incase others might need.

The major difference between Chlorophyllum and Lepiota is that Chlorophyllum develops green tinted spores and a green spore print. In older specimens the gills often turn green also (hence the name chloro=green, phyllum=gills). However, often the spores take a while to mature and may even appear to be white as in Lepiota! There was a poisoning some years back in which a famous mycologist searched the entire fruiting body that had poisoned someone and could only find *one* green spore. Symptoms of Chlorophyllum molybdites poisoning are mostly gastrointestinal in nature. According to Dennis Benjamin (Mushrooms: poisonings and panaceas, 1995, W.H. Freeman and Company, 422 pp.) "in some individuals the gastrointestinal syndrome, which occurs about 1-3 hours after the meal, can be very severe, especially the colicky abdominal pain, which can mimic that of a 'surgical' abdomen. Symptoms persist for up to six hours, and even longer in a few patients. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea complete the picture. The diarrhea can be explosive in nature and become bloody." You probably won't die from eating this mushroom (although there is one recorded fatality involving a child), but it's certainly not a pleasant dining experience--- So be very careful if you plan on eating any Lepiota species. Projectile diarrhea would not be very much fun.

OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

Re: Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them [Re: S0T3X]
    #15888175 - 03/02/12 12:08 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Panaeolus papilionaceus var. papilionaceus, also known as Agaricus calosus, Panaeolus papilionaceus, Panaeolus campanulatus, Panaeolus retirugis, and Panaeolus sphinctrinus, and commonly known as Petticoat mottlegill, is a common and widely distributed little brown mushroom that feeds on dung.

According to wikipedia:

Panaeolus papilionaceus is edible, however it is neither choice in flavor nor substantial in mass. Contrary to popular belief, most, if not all, collections are not psychoactive. Even if it were psilocybin containing, the amount would be so negligible so as to not even be considered such for practical purposes.

OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

#15888201 - 03/02/12 12:16 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Tried to give you a positive rating or "Rep power / feedback" for helping me out.  Guess I need at least 50 post to do that though. 

Well thank you anyhow!  Guess I know what grows here at my place now.  Thanks.  I'll be back if I can find anything new.

Offlinewakenbake
rollin rollin rollin
Male User Gallery

#15888351 - 03/02/12 12:54 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

S0T3X said:
Tried to give you a positive rating or "Rep power / feedback" for helping me out.  Guess I need at least 50 post to do that though. 

Well thank you anyhow!  Guess I know what grows here at my place now.  Thanks.  I'll be back if I can find anything new.

No problem bud.

Look for psilocybe cubensis in cow fields :awesomenod:

OfflineMisto
Shroomski's
Male

Re: Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them [Re: wakenbake]
    #15890434 - 03/02/12 03:30 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

cant wait to see the cubes next :wink:

--------------------

OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

Re: Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them [Re: Misto]
    #15890583 - 03/02/12 04:09 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Went back out today top take a look around...

But, no Cubes.

I did find these though and discarded them at first - but lookeed back at them a couple seconds later to see some IMMEDIATE blue bruising.  So, I brought a couple home anyhow.  Turns out they may be Botelus.

I found conflicting info on whether or not they are edible.  Could you you guys take a look for me?

Growing in oak leaves and decaying wood.  South Texas Gulf Coast.  Yellow gills, bruise blue fast.

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #15890593 - 03/02/12 04:11 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Boletus sp.
not active.

:aliendance:
peace and love
bloodworm

OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

Re: Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them [Re: bloodworm]
    #15890638 - 03/02/12 04:23 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

It has tubes extending downward from the underside of the cap, rather than gills; spores escape at maturity through the tube openings, or pores.

Could this be Boletus Edulis?  I'm hungry!  How can I tell?  And which Boletus would be bad to eat?

I'm still researching this at the moment but thought I'd ask.  Lots of helpful people here.  Thank you bloodworm.

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

#15890694 - 03/02/12 04:34 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

do not eat.
not Boletus edulis.

peace and love
bloodworm

OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

Re: Two types of Mushrooms that grow in my pasture. Please help ID them [Re: bloodworm]
    #15890729 - 03/02/12 04:41 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I checked my book.  Edulis does not bruise.  However there are many others that are - well it seems like ALL Boletus are edible?  Even Boletus that bruise blue such as the pulverulentus and others.

OfflineS0T3X
Stranger

#15890751 - 03/02/12 04:44 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

This is becoming a fun hobby for me.  Sorry if it's a burden for you to help me out.  As, for me I am enjoying the hunt.  I also do have Roger Phillips, Mushrooms of North America book to help me.  But, a second - more knowledgeable opinion is always appreciated!

I still can't seem to pinpoint this mushroom. 

Why do you suggest not to eat it?  Is there a Boletus that is not edible?  I know not to eat it unless I am sure but just wondering if you know which one it is - or if you are just suggesting not to eat it if uncertain.... 

I'd like to learn to be certain with all of your help.

thanks again,

Edited by S0T3X (03/02/12 04:45 PM)

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

#15890845 - 03/02/12 04:59 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

S0T3X said:
I checked my book.  Edulis does not bruise.  However there are many others that are - well it seems like ALL Boletus are edible?  Even Boletus that bruise blue such as the pulverulentus and others.

not all Boletus are edible.

Quote:

S0T3X said:
This is becoming a fun hobby for me.  Sorry if it's a burden for you to help me out.  As, for me I am enjoying the hunt.  I also do have Roger Phillips, Mushrooms of North America book to help me.  But, a second - more knowledgeable opinion is always appreciated!

I still can't seem to pinpoint this mushroom. 

Why do you suggest not to eat it?  Is there a Boletus that is not edible?  I know not to eat it unless I am sure but just wondering if you know which one it is - or if you are just suggesting not to eat it if uncertain.... 

I'd like to learn to be certain with all of your help.

thanks again,

blue staining Boletus are hard to identify without microscopy and eating them should be avoided if uncertain.
i doubt anyone will be able to pinpoint a species.
therefore, you should not eat it.

peace and love
bloodworm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification