Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Two clean trucks - the "evidence" so far...
    #1587038 - 05/29/03 01:40 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Two 'clean' trucks - the evidence so far

US doubts on weapons

Julian Borger in Washington
Thursday May 29, 2003
The Guardian

The Bush administration has conceded for the first time that Iraq's alleged arsenal of banned weapons, the principal justification for the US-led invasion, might never be found after seven weeks of intensive searches and interrogations have failed to produce any substantial evidence.

A joint report by the CIA and Defence Intelligence Agency released yesterday concluded that two trucks found in northern Iraq equipped with laboratory equipment represented the "strongest evidence to date that Iraq was hiding a biological warfare programme" but it conceded that no traces of biological agents had been found, nor was there any indication that they had been used for that purpose.

The defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, had predicted that the questioning of Iraqi scientists would lead to the discovery of biological and chemical weapons, but he has now raised the possibility that that might not happen.

"It's hard to find things in a country that's determined not to have you find them," Mr Rumsfeld told a meeting of foreign affairs experts on Tuesday.

"It's also possible that they decided to destroy them prior to the conflict. I suspect we'll find out a lot more information as we go about our interrogations."

The abrupt scaling down of expectations over the prospect of finding a significant arsenal suggests that even the Pentagon is beginning to lose hope of proving its case against the Iraqi regime it has just ousted.

"The administration has a real problem. It's becoming painfully obvious that these programmes didn't exist on the scale they said," said Joseph Cirincione, an expert on weapons proliferation at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

The apparent unreliability of the case the US and Britain made against Iraq in the run-up to the invasion is the subject of a CIA review by a panel of retired intelligence analysts. That review, part of which has already been drafted, is likely to raise questions over Mr Rumsfeld's role.

The most inflated pre-war claims about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction were produced by an intelligence unit established in the Pentagon after September 11, which became a channel for claims made by Iraqi defectors to reach the White House.

The Pentagon's faith in Iraqi exiles' assurances that US troops would be embraced by the population - an assumption now widely blamed for grossly inadequate preparations for postwar security - is also under scrutiny.

"A backlash is building on this. Everyone wants to give the administration more time, but as the weeks go by, there is a growing sense of being manipulated, of being lied to," Mr Cirincione said.

"That does two things. An anger builds towards the administration, and people are much less likely to believe them the next time, for example over Iran."

For the past few weeks US officials have been questioning several prominent Iraqi scientists alleged to have been involved in secret weapons programmes, including Rihab Taha, known as Dr Germ and Huda Ammash, popularly dubbed Mrs Anthrax. But according to one US intelligence source "they're all saying everything had been destroyed."

The Iraqi detainees have reportedly been telling their interrogators that Iraq's weapons were disposed of, not just before the war as Mr Rumsfeld implied, but several years earlier.

Mr Rumsfeld said weapons could still be found. "It's a country the size of California. We haven't managed to look in every place. We've only been there seven weeks," he said.

However, the failure to find anything conclusive so far suggests that if Saddam Hussein had been developing chemical and biological weapons, the programme was not on the scale that the US and Britain alleged in the run-up to the March invasion, when they claimed that Baghdad had thousands of tonnes of lethal poisons and bacteria.

US intelligence officials are increasingly convinced that Iraq may not have weaponised chemical and biological agents, but instead maintained a capacity to do so by keeping the required equipment and expertise on hand.

Yesterday's report suggested that the two laboratory trucks were "probably" part of that weapons capacity. "BW [biological weapon] agent production is the only consistent, logical purpose for these vehicles," the report said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,965993,00.html

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Two clean trucks - the [Re: Xlea321]
    #1587048 - 05/29/03 01:47 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

man we aint gonna find shit now and even if we do I'm sure it will be planted evidence anyway

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Two clean trucks - the [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1587053 - 05/29/03 01:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

How about this Rumsfeld quote, "It's also possible that they decided to destroy them prior to the conflict. I suspect we'll find out a lot more information as we go about our interrogations." Doesn't that give you confidence that they'll torture a 'confession' out of somebody?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Two clean trucks - the [Re: Evolving]
    #1587104 - 05/29/03 02:10 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sure it's happening this very moment

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Two clean trucks - the [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1587822 - 05/29/03 06:13 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

What about those countires (France, Germany, Russia) who didn't belive to the "hard evidence" about WMD and opposed the war. Will they still be punished for disobeying even if they were right?

Anonymous

Re: Two clean trucks - the [Re: zeronio]
    #1588124 - 05/29/03 08:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Does this mean that we get to switch back the name to French Fries? I still think republicans are absolutely ridiculous for that bullshit. What a bunch of dumb fuckheads.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Two clean trucks - the [Re: ]
    #1588554 - 05/29/03 01:33 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

What?!...i thought freedom fries were a joke!....they didn't really do that did they?!?!?! :shocked: :mad:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion