Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineferret
strange

Loc: VIC, Australia
Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus??
    #1587021 - 05/29/03 01:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

a couple quick scans, these were found on fallen Pine trunks... no noticeable blueing on stem base but little bit of greening on some of the caps... caps sometimes with tints of reddish/purple, size no bigger than 2 inches from this haul (been very dry+warm). spore print rusty-orange. gills adnate, yellowish. cobwebby veil remnants on stem.

gotta run, more pics from habitat when i develop tha film.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: ferret]
    #1587041 - 05/29/03 01:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

To me it looks a lot like what my book shows for the Autumn Skullcap, or Galerina autumnalis, which is poisonous.

My book doesn't list a spore print color for this species, though. But it does say they will grow on dead conifer wood.

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (05/29/03 01:46 AM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1587414 - 05/29/03 04:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's really an active Gymnopilus.
GGreatOne234 might have an answer to this.

InvisibleReverend_Jim_Jones
Stranger
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: zeronio]
    #1587667 - 05/29/03 05:31 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

'no noticeable blueing on stem base'

- from the second pic i'd sy the base of the stem looks to be bluing !
good work, it'd be brave man who sat down to eat one of those though...

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: Reverend_Jim_Jones]
    #1587925 - 05/29/03 06:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm, don't take my word on it, but I'd say that it looks like one of the active gymno's. Are the caps firm and fleshy, or soft and velvety? If they are soft and feel almost like velvet, then they are probably gilled boletes which also turn blue (something I ran into a number of times last year). It looks like they are rather firm/fleshy from the pic. Are the stems fairly tough and fibrous? Do the stems turn hard, almost wood like towards the ends? Are the spores BRIGHT rusty orange? This in no way should be used to identify them, this is just my experience with a huge crop of monster gymnos also found last season. The spore prints were extremely thick and the spore color was really odd, hard to describe.... almost flourescent like, but bright rust orange. I'm sure the other species will vary quite a bit. Do not eat these without others opinions! The ones I found were unmistakable (a picture of one of the less mature clusters is used as my avatar (sp?)). Also, in the words from my imaginary hampster..."one must eat a lot of those nasty mushrooms to get anywhere, the experience feels different--wierd, more toxic, and not as strong"....

Who knows... they could be Gallerinas. If they are gymns, good job! I think gymns are one of the coolest looking mushrooms.

Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1588213 - 05/29/03 10:16 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome find!

Those are a type of Gymnopilus mushroom.

They might possibly be Gymnopilus purpuratus. ?
-I would like to hear others opinions on that,
But i would say G purpuratus.

The greenish/blue colored splotches on the cap (i believe) indicate psychoactivity.
-From PMOTW -Stamets

"Habit, babitat, and distribution: Grows on rotting wood. In Europe, reported from pig dung mixed with wood chips. Also sighted in south Australia in May. Comments: Weakly to moderately active. Gartz (1993) reported that dried, cultivated specimens yielded .23% psilocybin, and .21% psilocin, and .05% baeocystin. Later, Gartz (1994) found roughly similar amounts--.25% psilocybin, .33% psilocin, and .03% baeocystin--also from cultivated speciments. This distinctive mushroom can be cultivated on wood chips or logs using techniques outlined by Gartz (1992). The full range of this Gymnopilus purpuratus is not well documented. I would expect it to become more common throughout temperate regions of the world as strains acclimate. Cultivators play a key role in its expansion. Gymnopilus sapineus, a closely related species, may also be active but has not yet been analyzed."

So you may want to take prints of these mushrooms for people.

Gymnopilus mushrooms taste very-very bitter and kinda gross.
-But if the numbers are correct, they must be potent too!!!

My theory is to only eat the mushrooms with the greenish-blue colored splotches on the caps.
-And also, chances are is that more than one species of Gymnopilus grow where you find these, so you have to be extremely picky and safe about bioassaying Gymno's...

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Offlinedizzim
Born Again Head
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1588245 - 05/29/03 10:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

ever see those ziplock commercials? Yellow and Blue make GREEN!

dizz

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #1588568 - 05/29/03 01:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sure looks like a gymno of some type. It doesn't  look like a galerina to me. Galerinas have a rusty brown spore print, gymnos have a rusty orange spore print. Of course, they're both rusty looking(kinda like me), so be careful.
Because of the cap size, I'm going with GG's guess, Gymnopilus purpuratus,or maybe it could be G. luteofolius.GG has found  what appears to be G. luteofolius on occasion, so he has some experience with this genus.
Good find ! :cool:

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: doo]
    #1589049 - 05/29/03 04:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hey doo,  :smile: 

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1589055 - 05/29/03 04:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Reply, maybe not G. putrpuratus, could be G. juniorius

YEs, Mycologist Cleland and others have reported Gymnopilus purpuratus (Cooke & Masse) Singer. From Western Australia.

Here are some photo of it. You might find some listings of it in Early Australian Shroom guides as Flamulata Purpurata. That is the stem turns purplish.

Here is a description of G. purpuratus

It mentions that the stem is purple on the stems.

Cap: 20-50 mm Broad, reddish-brown, with small erect scales appeareaing dense, especially in age, not viscid, convex, obtuse or subumbonate
with a slight umbilicus in the center.

Gills: Slightly crenulate, close, rounded-adnexed. Yellow (nankeen to primrose).

Stem: 25-55 x 3-9 mm. Brazil brown (brown-red) covered by fibrils. Equal and dusted by spores in age. Context purple, often disappearing, fleshy, developing in most specimens blu spots or areas along the surface where the stems have been touched or scratched. Veil thick and black.

Spores: 8-9 (11) X 4.8-5.5-(6) mics. verrucose in circumference, without plage and without a germ pore.

Sporeprint: Orange.

Habitat: Gregarioous on rotted wood.

Distribution: The Austral Floral Zone, Chili, Argentina, Great Britain and Germany. Regions of Australia and Western Australia.

Season: Fall months.

Dosage: Unknown, but considering the large size of this species, caution should be taken when attempting to consume this mushrooms. Unofficial reports indicate one to three medium to larger shrooms.

Comment: This species was first identified in Australia by mycologist John Burton Cleland as Flammula Purpurata (derived from the Latin Purpuratus, clad in purple). Cleland described this species as being found on fallen
trunks of wood. Gymnopilus purpuratus is an agaric identified from the austral floral zone and was also collected in Chile and identified by Singer in 1951, who also identified this species from Kew gardens in Surrey. This species blues easily, taste very bitter and is probably hallucinogenic. 1992 chemical analysis of collections from Germany by Dr. Jochen Gartz of the University of Leipzig and others have demonstrated high levels of psilocin and low levels of baeocystin. Dr. Gartz reported that "since 1983, this species has been observed on heaps of pig dung and woodchips in the district Rostock, Northern G. D. R. (East Germany).

Gartz believes that this species was introduced (into Germany) with grain from Argentina used for pig forage." Gartz also noted that this species stains blue when handled and was found to be exempt of other tryptamines, muscarine, and urea.

Some photos of G. purpuratus:

This next photo is not by Gartz.

and

mjshroomer

Edited by mjshroomer (05/29/03 04:26 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1589087 - 05/29/03 04:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Rebel Steve 33, that is not a Galerina autumnalis. GO to my site and look at poisonous shrooms and their look-a-like Psilocybes. Galerinas have cinnamon-rusty orange spores and gills and are LBms. That is a large shroom. Apparently you have never seen Galerinas. They grow here in Seattle right under magic mushroom clumps.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (05/29/03 09:45 PM)

Offlineferret
strange

Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1590608 - 05/29/03 09:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the flesh is yellowish in the stem and is kind of winey-red tinted in the cap. taste test was very bitter. yeah the stem base does look blue in that second pic, i missed it. had to scan em in at library, got some strange llooks.
thanks for the encouragement and stuff brethren.

oh yeah after some more rain ill do a few prints if anyone is interested.... let ya know.

yeah nearby i did find a mammoth Gym. spectabilis/ juniosus whatever its called... the stem was at least 3.5 inches thick!

Offlineferret
strange

Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1590856 - 05/29/03 10:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Reply, maybe not G. putrpuratus, could be G. juniorius

Im pretty damn sure its not G. junonius, isn't it yellow-orange with a more persistant membranous ring?

and as G. purpurata has been reported from WA and SA, of course it would grow in VIC.
I found some small specimens fruiting from a pine cone, look very similar to that second last (bordered) pic mj.

Clelands description of Flammula purpurata:

Pileus up to 2in. (5cm), convex, covered with adpressed somewhat warty fibrils or matt-fibrillose, the edge inturned, reddish-purplish-brown or purplish-red with tints of green and yellow.
Gills sightly sinuate, deep, moderately close, waxy-yellow, bceoming browinish-cinnamon-yellow. Stem up to 1.5in. (3.7cm), rather stout, a little attenuated upwards, somewhat striate or fibrillose, tough, pallid yellowish-brown above with tints of the pileus below. Spores oblique, yellowish-brown, 6.5 - 8.5 x 4.5 - 5.2 u. Cystidia not seen. On fallen trunks and wood. South Australia-Port Lincoln and Big Swamp, E.P. May.

Closely related to F. sapinea Fr.. Recognisable by the purplish tints on the pileus and often on the stem.

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #1591253 - 05/29/03 11:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well whatever they are, I like the pics, ferret!

:wink: nice one 

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: ruskifile]
    #1592369 - 05/30/03 09:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Why didnt you tell me when i was over at your plce mate?? To fucking good were ya??? eh?? :smile: Id say that they aint Purp. for start as ive seen these a few times and they dont have that inrolled margin.
Could be the aussie version of Spectab. - junonius as they look like Spectab. and dont believe everything you read about mushroom descriptions.
Between Reville, dutchie (used to run MMA) and myself we haev found a number of new gyms that blue and arent fitting in current available descriptions.
better bioassay mate - for the sake of all mankind - if not im over at your place tomorrow morning to do it for you!! 

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1592370 - 05/30/03 09:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

check out adrian;s site - earthpod at shaman australis for a good bitta info. nice find you nasty bastard!

--------------------

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
    #1593736 - 05/30/03 05:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinking purpuratus as well (however ya spell it). Not sure of the books name, but it goes into details on four or so Gymno species (MagicMushy book). The pupuratus one was one of the actives listed, as well as luteofolis and some others. Whatever the book was, it was found in your friendly neighborhood barnes&noble, or maybe it was borders... But your in australia, hmm, starbucks has taken over the world, so i wonder if its the same with B&N? anyway cool mushroom, and cool pics MJ!
Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

OfflineAdrian
Fun Guy
Loc: Melbourne
Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: bluemoon]
    #1597882 - 06/01/03 10:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hi all,
just wondering if you can shed some light on this for me.
Found this clump growing from a rotted stump amongst tanbark in the S.E Melbourne suburb of Ringwood.
Has a thick stem up to 120mm long and a thick, textured  cap up to 100mm wide, rusty orange coloured spores.No bluing.
Unfortunately this is the only picture I have :frown:

--------------------
Australian Mushroom Spores, Ethnobotanical Plants, Seeds & Herbs

Anonymous

Re: Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? [Re: Adrian]
    #1598045 - 06/01/03 01:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlineferret
strange

#1599553 - 06/01/03 11:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:blush:sorry B i wasnt holdin out on ya! im sure i havent seen you since I found em anyways... well i have located a few more specimens from a few other locations (very definate blueing at stembase), and you know i got exams soon so someone else better bioassy... , so ifya got the nuts BM.... time to bar up brother... :tongue: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification