Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
I don?t know what it is!!!!!
    #1578359 - 05/26/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hi people, I?m writing from Spain and would like to know if someone can help a friend of mine. Something wrong is going on in some friend`s of mine cakes. He uses 1/2 pint glasses with aluminum foil covering the tops. Inside brown rice and water. He sterilized everything with a pressure cooker, inoculated the spores with a syringe (P.C. Matias Romero) and put the jars in a clean, dark closet. After 32 days of normal white mycelium growing, the whole cake was permeated and he birthed it. When he got off the aluminum foil, something was growing on the cake and was almost touching the foil. The thing growing on the cake, looks like cream looking porous rounded (circular) mountains. It looks kind of like a cauliflower (the white stuff that?s eaten). It also suppurates transparent and caramel looking drops of something thru the pores. But the strange thing is that when he birthed the cake, it didn?t smell bad, just like fresh mushrooms. We didn?t find any photos of this thing in the webs we searched. Finally, I have to say that this is my friend?s first time trying to grow mushrooms and is pretty ignorant in mycology. I hope someone can help him. THANKS A LOT, MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: I don?t know what it is!!!!! [Re: Semilanceata]
    #1578392 - 05/26/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

is it just the mycelium trying to grow like it does when you birth it?

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1578410 - 05/26/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It would be good if you could take some photos, it would help a lot to identify the possible contaminant.
As for now, all i can tell is it could be mycelium excretion which is normal but your description indicates something more, keep an eye on it and report any change. If you believe that's a contam, then you can try cutting it.
You can PM me in spanish if you feel more comfortable, your english looks very good though.

Un hermano al oeste,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (05/26/03 01:02 PM)

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Re: I don?t know what it is!!!!! [Re: MAIA]
    #1578768 - 05/26/03 03:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I?ll try to get some photos. About cutting the bad parts, my friend did and they looked like mushrooms. They were really attached to the cake. The cakes were transfered to the aquarium and seem to be doing well with no strange colors at all. They?re starting to pin right now.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

#1578773 - 05/26/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry about my behaviour: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineChampi
The Only Spanishgrower
Male

Loc: Madrid
    #1580726 - 05/27/03 04:24 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hola! Yo tambi?n soy espa?ol. Lo que ha pasado es que hab?is dejado demasiado tiempo coloniz?ndose los vasos, y el micelio ha intentado escapar por la parte de arriba, en busca de m?s nutrientes. No pasa absolutamente nada. Esas "coliflores" que han salido os las pod?is comer sin ning?n problema. Suerte con vuestras setis!

--------------------
From disco to disco....

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

Re: I don?t know what it is!!!!! [Re: Champi]
    #1580761 - 05/27/03 05:12 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Bueno, Champi ha dado una buena explicacion. La palabra "coliflores" se me estava escapando.

"Sorry about my behaviour"
You behaviour is excellent and i only wish every newbie could explain his problems in such detail.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

#1580959 - 05/27/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don?t know what to do: spanish or english. Let?s try in spanish, OK MAIA?
Entonces, cuando hay que sacar los pasteles del vaso ? Mi colega esper? hasta que todo estaba cubierto de micelio. Inclusive, en algunos vasos quedaban a?n algunas partes por colonizar, aun habiendo sido inoculados el mismo d?a. Por cierto, que libro pensais deber?a comprarse mi colega en primer lugar ?

Muchas gracias majos, un abrazo

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#1581428 - 05/27/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Tienes que esperar que el micelio cubra los pasteles pues no los tienes que sacar del vaso todos al mismo tiempo. Lo importante es 100% de colonizacion.
El Libro,
The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets and J.S. Chilton, ISBN 0-9610798-0-0
Let's try to keep it in english from now on, so everybody might know what the hell we're talking about :wink:.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

OfflineChampi
The Only Spanishgrower
Male

Loc: Madrid
    #1583991 - 05/28/03 02:44 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

MAIA tiene raz?n. Es muy importante que los vasos est?n colonizados al 100%, sin importar que unos se colonicen antes que otros. El hecho de que a veces el micelio asome por arriba es s?ntoma de la buena salud de ?ste.Tambi?n es debido a que a veces la capa superior de vermiculita que debe estar seca, se humedece durante el proceso de esterilizaci?n en la olla a presi?n, y as? el micelio puede atravesarla.

http://www.hastalaspatas.com

--------------------
From disco to disco....

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
    #1586845 - 05/28/03 10:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Photos:

I assume it looked something like this..

It's a mycellium bump. Normal, healthy mushroom tissue.
No worries.

Can be used as any mushroom would.

-ol

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Re: I don?t know what it is!!!!! [Re: Oscuro_lobo]
    #1588484 - 05/29/03 10:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

1)We?ll order that book right now. 2) Thank you for the picture cause it?s exactly like what?s happening to the cake. 3) You mean we can eat that stuff. How ? fresh, dried ? Wouldn?t it be harmfull for the cake, and a risk to contamination, if I cut that off?

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
    #1588592 - 05/29/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You can usually snap them off in my experience, and yes, fresh or dried. Doesn't matter.
-ol

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Re: I don?t know what it is!!!!! [Re: Oscuro_lobo]
    #1592803 - 05/30/03 11:26 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Can we let it stay in the cake or it is preferable to remove it ? You know, the cake is just pinning and most of the pins come out of these bumps.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1596611 - 05/31/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You can leave it but you need to watch it closely to make sure it isn't rotting. It probably shouldn't rot before your pins are grown but it is something to pay attention to.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Re: I don?t know what it is!!!!! [Re: Karen]
    #1600951 - 06/02/03 09:07 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I?m watching closely, and one of the fruiting cakes is getting some sort of blue, violet, purple color that can be seen through the micellium. I mean, it isn?t on the micellium?s surface, it comes from the inside. It?s located in 3 different distant areas and doesn?t look fluffy or moldy. Color is intense and spots are easy to recognize. Could it be the bumps rotting, contamination or just something normal that happens ?

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1601726 - 06/02/03 02:26 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Blueing is something that happens normally. Do a search for either bruising or blueing and you will see a ton of posts on it. You should come upon some pictures and you should be able to compare.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

#1607471 - 06/04/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I?m sorry but I don?t know anyone with a digital camera and don?t own a scanner. You know, my shrooms grow very slow if compared to what I have read in books, internet,... so I?m starting to think nothing good is happening. (Next time I?ll get the digital camera before the sporeprint). Thank you very much to all you.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1615888 - 06/06/03 11:22 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

no i didn't mean that you needed to post a picture....

I meant that you should come across some pictures OTHER PEOPLE posted of blueing and you could compare those to your own. That way you could have a better idea if something is going wrong or not.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

#1616111 - 06/07/03 03:30 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I?ve been looking and haven?t seen something like this. A week ago, it looked like the picture Oscuro Lobo sent to this post, but nowadays it looks purple, brain looking in some spots (like gyromitra species) and the mushrooms that appeared didn?t grow much (the longest stem 3cm and the biggest cap like a penny). Many of them where swallowed by this bulks and covered by micellium before they could grow a bit. The caps turned black and were covered by micellium (just in the margins). Also, the stems had a peeled looking surface. What I don?t quite understand is why there are still many little healthy looking shrooms growing. Why they start so well and why they get fucked so soon. I took the first flush off of the cakes and everything I cut off turned a very dark green/blue within seconds, which is supposed to be good. I don?t know what to do, and if things could get worst, I have some ready to transfer jars in my closet ( five more days and they must birth ).

Thank you for helping me

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag