Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!!
    #1586388 - 05/28/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I found this mushroom growing in the soil of some woods today.  Unfortunately, the specimens that I picked were destroyed before I could get a spore print!  :frown:  I looked through my book, but I am still clueless as to its identification.  I thought maybe one of you might know what it is because it's so distinctive-looking, though.  I haven't seen anything like this before.

(Sorry the pictures are not that great... I purposefully made the quality as low as possible when I saved them so that I would be able to upload as many pics as I could.)

(Sorry the gill picture is so blurry, but I thought it might still be helpful.  The gills were mottled black, and it looks like they're attached to a white collar-type thing.  I know I've read something about a mushroom whose gills are mottled black because the spores mature at different times, but I can't remember what it was.)

Thanks in advance for any help with the ID! :laugh:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAse
Stranger

Loc: sideways & upsidedown
Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1586421 - 05/28/03 08:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Some kind of Coprinus I think

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: Ase]
    #1586463 - 05/28/03 08:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm... I read through all the Coprinus species information that my book has, and none of them really describe those mushrooms.  Not to me, at least.

They are pretty, though, no? :smile:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #1586681 - 05/28/03 09:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

mmm, coprinus usually have grey gills that turn black with age, ive never seen them so brown, i think it is probably another genus. notice the sclerotia growing at the base in the fist pic.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1586697 - 05/28/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Something I thought was rad about them is that, if you look at the first pic, the caps could almost look like an acorn.

Mushroom camouflage???

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1586774 - 05/28/03 10:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I have to admit that, at first glance, my first thought is Coprinus.

Mottled gills are typical for Panaeolus and Coprinus. Coprinus has over 200 species, and it's a difficult genus to do much with. How do you study a mushroom that disintegrates to slime before you can do anything with it? Arora only lists about 25 species.

If you're sure that it's neither of those genera, my other choice would be Psathyrella. There is some resemblance between those specimens and Psathyrella gracilis, but not enough for me to think that they're that species.

If you'd like to read up of Psathyrella a bit, I recently found this well done page on the genus. The photos aren't the greatest, but it's still one of the most informative pages on that genus I've ever seen.

Certainly those are interesting specimens.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1586876 - 05/28/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the link.  After reading some of that and looking through all the photos, I don't think these mushrooms belong to the genus Psathyrella.  I really wish I could've inspected this mushroom more than I did.  I was walking with a friend when I found it, and I did not want to make her wait for me too long.

I did pick a specimen to take a spore print when I got home and get a closer look at the stem and such, but it got destroyed in my bag because I had quite a few larger specimens in there as well.  Maybe tomorrow I will be able to go back to the area and see if they're still there.

Thanks again for the information and the link! :smile:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1587090 - 05/29/03 12:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I think they are Coprinus... As TM said, there are a lot of species. They look a lot like plicatilis to me, but, its hard to tell.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: angryshroom]
    #1587127 - 05/29/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I thought these were Coprinus plicatilis? The mushrooms in this post are definitely not those. I am going to do some research on the Coprinus genus to see if these could fit the bill of a not-too-common species or something.

They have me intrigued. I think their patterning is just splendid.

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1587409 - 05/29/03 02:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: zeronio]
    #1588463 - 05/29/03 10:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking Bolbitius, but at first glance it looks like a Coprinus.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#1588510 - 05/29/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm... Thanks for the suggestion!  Some of those images look similar, but none of them have the striking designs that the mushrooms I found have.  Also, I'm fairly sure that the mushrooms had almost brick-red gills that were very apparently mottled with black.  Does that mean the spores are black??

Anyway, some of the info for Bolbitius fit, but I don't think that's it.

Thanks again for helping, though! :smile:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #1588674 - 05/29/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

IF its a psathyrella, id say "Psathyrella rugose" or "ribbed psathyrella" the oddball of the genus, but then ive never seen a picture of this mushroom so im really shooting in the dark

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1588761 - 05/29/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'd go with Coprinus or maybe some type of Psathyrella.
Coprinus usually don't hang around as long as the Psathyrellas once the sun gets to'em, they'll (coprinus)usually dissolve or dry up in a day or two, while the psathyrellas seem to be a more robust (but still fragile) species.

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1588763 - 05/29/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

So did the caps disinigrate or anything? You didn't get a spore print either, too?

Its interesting because I found some specimens which looked extremely similar to yours that you have there. I couldn't Id them correctly, however I knew that they were for sure a species of Coprinus.

THose gills are sure brown. You should try to go back and find some more sometime to get a sporeprint.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: I Need Help IDing This Beautiful Mushroom!!! [Re: angryshroom]
    #1588787 - 05/29/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

They didn't seem to dissolve or disintegrate, but I'm not sure.  I think the specimen I picked simply got crushed in my bag by some bigger mushrooms I had in there.  I want to go back there today, but I'm not sure if I can get a ride.  :crazy:

I will be sure to post if I do, though!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#1590142 - 05/29/03 06:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I went back to the spot today and found the same mushrooms!  They were shriveled and dry, and their coloring had faded to a dull, light-brown color.  There were some fresh pins coming up very near the dead ones, though!  The pins were a vibrant reddish/brown color with white stems.  Some fuzzy mycellium could be seen on the ground at the base of their stems.

I tried to get pictures of all the things I just described, but they turned out blurry. :frown:  Just as I was about to leave, though, I spotted another specimen growing right in the grass!  :smile: My pictures of this one actually turned out, so here they are:

This gill shot (once again! :mad:) turned out blurry, but I thought it still showed some distinguishing features that could be useful in identifying it:

I'm almost positive this is the same species as the mushrooms in my original post.  This specimen looks to be in the beginning stages of shriveling up.  Thankfully, I got it home in-tact, and I'm working on a spore print right now.  I just hope it still has some spores left to drop!!  :laugh:

By the way, the stem of this mushroom is only about 3mm thick.  It is completely whitish biege in color, smooth, hollow, and fragile.  The specimens I found grew between 2 and 4 inches tall.

I hope these new photos and the extra information will help to make a more positive identification!  I will post again when the spore print is done!

Thanks to all those who have offered help!!! :smile:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (05/29/03 06:09 PM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1591987 - 05/30/03 01:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The appearance of gills isn't very Coprinus like...
Are the gills spotted or uniformly coloured? Spotted gills are a sign of uneven spore ripening -> Psathyrella

It could be also a Conocybe.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#1592596 - 05/30/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The gills are definitely spotted... So that means it is some kind of Psathyrella??  Damn, this mushroom is driving me crazy!

Oh, and the spore print I tried to get yesterday did not turn anything up! :frown:

Check this out, though... Yesterday when I went back and found the mushrooms again, I dug up a couple young pins that had just come up and put them in a container.  I didn't think they were going to grow b/c I ended up disturbing the soil so much that their stems came completely loose from it, but I delicately stuck them back in, and guess what??  THEY ARE GROWING! :laugh:

They don't have the same beautiful designs as the first ones, but i'm fairly certain they're the same shroomies.  I will take pics, and also be sure to get a spore print from one of these specimens before it drops them all!!

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1592663 - 05/30/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wow that is pretty cool. i guess its kind of like when you chop off a couple mm off your finger and stick it back on and tighten, it will grow back. keep intruiging us with this mushroom, i am excited about it too because i havent had almost anything to do with coprinus/psytharella

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder