Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hawai'i, USA Flag
Genetically modified mushrooms!!!
    #15866648 - 02/26/12 03:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Worth it?  This thread is hypothetical of course and for the purpose of discussion only.

BRIEF EXPLANATION OF GMOs

Basically, a piece of foreign DNA that codes for a certain protein that produces a certain trait is inserted into a cell.  I figure that it would be extremely easy to do in a liquid culture, and the process would take less than a day.  The walls of cells are weakened, producing "competent cells", foreign DNA is mixed and by heat shocking and quenching in ice some of the DNA is accepted by cells.

The mixture is then plated on agar plates that the cells that take up the DNA are selected and propagated.  The transformed cells also carry traits which make them distinguishable from plain cells.  If the foreign DNA codes for fluorescence, the all famous "jelly fish gene", then you select those fungus colonies and BAM!!!, you got fluorescent mushrooms, green, red, yellow, orange, whatever.

The potential is amazing, I figured a piece of DNA that codes for resistance to a fungicide could be inserted into the cells.  It would be very similar to the round up ready soybeans where one would spray with a fungicide solution, discouraging other molds while the fungus thrives.

FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION.....

The thought is kind of mind blowing to me, glowing mushrooms.....for the sake of discussion, lets disregard the fact that genetically modifying organisms can result in a toxic or carcinogenic product.  I know lots of people that have major beefs with GMOs, but I don't really care much.  To me it seems that protesting them isn't gonna change the fact that we are all probably still eating them and using them.  If GMOs are really that bad to consume, its going to take a disaster to stop production.  Sad but true...

Would you eat fluorescent mushrooms???  Not sure I would...It would be a trip to see though...

What can you imagine in a genetically modified organism?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDragonTurtle
Stranger

Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #15866701 - 02/26/12 04:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I will produce an agar plate, a high potency thc extract into the agar mix as I bring the agar to a pliable material.

Once done the THC agar plate should be almost black. If the myc is able to form atop the agar that has a high concentrate of thc in it, we shall see what happens.

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: DragonTurtle]
    #15867662 - 02/26/12 08:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

.It would be a trip to see though..

Well, they already exist in the wild. :shrug: 

Myself, I think the glowing kitties are cuter. :smilingpuppy:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/assets_c/2011/09/sn-cats-thumb-800xauto-10980.jpg

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Edited by PrimalSoup (02/26/12 08:30 PM)

OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: DragonTurtle]
    #15870647 - 02/27/12 01:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

THC yes!!!

That's the key to world peace right there, the THC gene.  I can see algae or some other fast and easy growing plant producing mass quantities of THC.  I think that's how they make insulin on a large scale, with genetically modified bacteria.

Best. Hash. Ever.

OfflineOGTubs
Stranger

#15870672 - 02/27/12 01:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've seen this shit, you can order the sequence from "gene banks"

Seen some little kids doing it the other day. Go for it bro, its a great idea.

Charge double :lol:

OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

#15870721 - 02/27/12 01:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

WHOA,WHOA, WHOA!

just saw those glowing mushrooms, missed them the first time.

HOW'd that happen?!?!  I heard of the ghost fungus which is fluorescent but that does not look like it.  Has that been genetically modified and is there a source I might learn more about these pictures?

RC GLOW.

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15871192 - 02/27/12 02:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Nah, those are freshly discovered species. 

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iquitos, Peru
Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #15872609 - 02/27/12 07:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Is this real, people are GMOing in their closet labratory?

OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: Lennybernadino]
    #15873505 - 02/27/12 10:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

There are companies that sell DNA like any other companies.  I wouldn't say it's a good idea to do it at home, that just sounds to me like the perfect breeding ground for health and legal problems.  The hard part, the art, of genetically modifying organisms is to do it right.  Seed companies work hard to genetically modify AND breed plants AND test to "perfection".  I can't imagine anybody doing this "in their closet" although it is possible.

This site is living proof of what people can do in their closets.  I love you shroomery.

OfflineOGTubs
Stranger

#15875442 - 02/28/12 10:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I dunno about that, I saw a room full of little kids doing it open air.

Seemed like the process was pretty simple to me :shrug:

I'm no expert, but these kids were literally ten and giving that glowing gene sequence to other organisms.

OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: OGTubs]
    #15878775 - 02/28/12 10:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It is really simple but I doubt these kids fully understand what they are doing.  If you write it out in need-to-know step-by-step instructions meant for a child, prepare and lay out everything to use, and provide adult supervision then  it doesn't require much skill or knowledge.  Its like following directions on food labels, or other things kids are expected to do.  Just ask the teacher if you don't know what to do.

Sure wish I went to an elementary school like that...private school yuppies....

It would be pretty cool to put the "psilocybin" gene into gourmet mushrooms , something tasty like button mushrooms.  OR something medicinal like reishi, to make mushroom tea for the body AND the mind.
:mushroom2:

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iquitos, Peru
    #15881481 - 02/29/12 02:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I am thinking Stropharia rugoso-anulata

OfflineHector146
Stranger
Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: Lennybernadino]
    #15883928 - 03/01/12 12:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I will produce an agar plate, a high potency thc extract into the agar mix as I bring the agar to a pliable material.

InvisibleMr. Bojangles
Breathe In
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Dirty
Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: Hector146]
    #15897169 - 03/04/12 12:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I doubt those kids were actually adding GFP (green fluorescent protein) sequences into organisms.  It was probably something much less involved that gave the same, albeit very temporary effect.  Maybe if everything was laid out and specific instructions given, a kid could induce fluorescent transformation in bacteria but certainly not in higher eukaryotes.  Hell, I've seen biology undergrads fuck up bacterial transformation in labs before.

Anyways, mushrooms that glow in the wild don't glow because of the "jellyfish gene", they glow because of a protein and a chemical inherent in their bodies.  If you wanted to replicate that you'd have to splice in proteins that make up the whole Luciferin pathway, which would be a pain in the fucking ass to do, and I'm not sure if it's possible yet.

Now I'm not familiar with fungal DNA transformation, but I am quite familiar with prokaryotic transformation, and I do know that a eukaryote such as fungus will most likely be a little harder to do.  Splicing in the jellyfish gene, or the GFP gene, would be the best bet...but they wouldn't glow like mushrooms do, they'd just fluoresce in the presence of light.  It's still an involved process.  You can order the sequence, yes, but there's a lot of other shit that needs to be constructed that you can't just order.  The plasmid with the GFP gene needs to be constructed with the proper markers, upstream and downstream regulators so that the plasmid DNA will effectively be transformed into the host DNA.  Granted the marker could actually be the fluorescence, but you'll still need to select the proper promoters...which, I'm sorry to say...in eukaryotes can be quite complex and involving mulitple cofactors. 

Now if a company made a GFP plasmid for a certain type of fungus, then you'd be in business for that type of fungus.  But most plasmids just contain the target sequence and a generic marker.  If you do find a well constructed pre-made plasmid, it's most likely for bacteria and not a specific eukaryote.  I'm not saying don't go for it...just giving you a little idea of what it takes.

--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

OfflineP-shroomin
 User Gallery

#15898649 - 03/04/12 11:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Instead of proceeding to assert yourself as the modifier for the molecular genetics of organisms, more specifically, mushrooms, you should simply apply yourself to selective breeding.

Selective breeding among your mushrooms would be a worthy and probable cause. Simply select the mushrooms with the most preferred traits, and proliferate them through a steady and repeated culture (using their spores).

Sooner or later, your mushrooms will be the best in town, all due to this selective breeding.

This is just an idea, I have not done this nor have I ever hear of this working, but again it's all for discussion.

OfflineP-shroomin
 User Gallery

Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #15898700 - 03/04/12 11:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I agree, but what I do think would be possible in a eukaryotic organism, would be to insert the desired gene sequence into the zygote of a specific mushroom, there for, in theory, the cells will replicate and pass that gene on to every somatic cell. If the gene codes for a GFP, then I would say there is a slight chance that it may show the desired phenotype, but doing this in your closet at home probably wouldn't work, unless you have all the necessary equipment.

OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: P-shroomin]
    #15906336 - 03/05/12 09:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

P-shroomin said:
Instead of proceeding to assert yourself as the modifier for the molecular genetics of organisms, more specifically, mushrooms, you should simply apply yourself to selective breeding.

Selective breeding among your mushrooms would be a worthy and probable cause. Simply select the mushrooms with the most preferred traits, and proliferate them through a steady and repeated culture (using their spores).

Sooner or later, your mushrooms will be the best in town, all due to this selective breeding.

This is just an idea, I have not done this nor have I ever hear of this working, but again it's all for discussion.

I don't think that will work. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but,

I don't believe that the spores contain genes that are specific to that one mushroom, but rather the entire fungus mass.  I understand what you are getting at with selective breeding but it has brought something else up to me.

Are there any similarities between inbreeding a plant...

[Inbreeding is a method where a plant is bred with itself for many generations until the vast majority of the next generation is uniform and genetically similar.  Inbred plants often are much weaker and "lame".  When two inbred plants are crossed, the offspring is very vigorous, grows very well, and, most importantly to farmers, UNIFORM.]

...and propagating mycelium by grain to grain transfer for many transfers?

It seems to me that with each transfer, genes are becoming less diverse and more uniform from continuous mating with other cells.  Am I totally off track or does continuous mycelium transfers lead to weak and "lame" mushrooms?

OfflineBornabiker
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #15909128 - 03/06/12 01:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My question here is not relevant but you appear to be people who will know the answer. I've asked this of many people and not had any responses. I have 3 growkits coming (free) and my place has no hot spots for growing (10-15C tops) so should I use a propagator?

Thanks for any help.

OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

Re: Genetically modified mushrooms!!! [Re: Bornabiker]
    #15909522 - 03/06/12 03:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Very good question.
:macdre:
Whatever you are growing, you will probably need to up the temperature.  Not sure what a propagator is.

OfflineP-shroomin
 User Gallery

#15910171 - 03/06/12 05:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You are right on the fact that each mushroom coming from the same mycelium will have the same genetic code, but what I was thinking was selecting spores coming from any particularly "good" grow,  and germinating the spores with one another to form yet another particularly good  grow.

You see, because a single spore cannot propagate on it's own, it requires a second pair to begin fruiting. Some fungus can have thousands of genders, and each gender must be paired with its "mate", in order to reproduce. This is a contributing factor as to why mushrooms do not grow as abundantly as we may wish. Luckily, a single mushroom contains thousands of spores, all ranging in gender.

I hope this helps you understand my thoughts a little better, although I'm still not entirely sure it will actually work, it was just an idea, maybe I'll try it someday.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies