Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
A proposed end to our concept of "family"
    #1585671 - 05/28/03 06:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

(The following was posted in response to another thread here in S&P)

You know, every family I have encountered is absolutely insane. Parents who have children, grandparents, uncles and aunts... they're all complete lunatics. This includes my family and the families of all my friends.

It shows you that our entire concept of "family" needs re-modeling, if you ask me. Families these days are too introverted. Children adapt to, and inherit the quirks of their parents a lot of the time, and the reason is simply that they don't have enough experience with other families. Without this experience, there is a lack of diversity in the characters that you meet throughout your life, esp. your childhood. This promotes ignorance!

Look at our society... most children still live strictly with their parents until their 20's... talk about not stretching your roots at all! If your roots are only spread in one place, your forest of wisdom is only going to grow a few pathetic trees!

I suggest a complete turnaround in modern society's family structure. Children should rotate parents, spending time with one group of adults, then another, then another, learning from each and moving on to learn more.

Of course, our tendency to become attached to the ones we love, including our families, is likely what will make this kind of thing impossible. Therefore we should also learn to love without growing too attached to anyone, including immediate family.

Because the greater truth is that we are all part of a much greater family... a single evolving consciousness... so why should we limit our intellectual intake to the nonsense of our insane blood relatives!?

Parents... stop trying to turn your children into improved versions of yourselves! They are not your little projects! They have their own will, their own agendas! You are smothering them with your so-called love! Stop over-protecting them, stop confining them to your beliefs and opinions, and send them across the world to live with families of different cultures! Or if you can't afford to do that, for god's sake, at least send them to a neighbour's place for a little while! You'll be doing them more good than you'll ever know.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Re: A proposed end to our concept of [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1585708 - 05/28/03 06:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps you'd like the idea the Chinese used until they were converted over to the whole idea of public schooling. The idea is basically Confucianist.

A child was considered to have 3 parents. Their father, mother, and the parent who educated them. An adult friend was chosen by the father and mother and was given absolute authority on raising the child. The idea behind it was that parents are incapable of being impartial enough with their own children. Giving another person the responsibility and authority for the child's education meant that hard decisions would end up being made which would be better for the child in the long term, rather than too protective as parents are apt to be.

Sounds great in theory, but if it was so great then I have to wonder why it isn't the way they still do things.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: A proposed end to our concept of [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1585725 - 05/28/03 06:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Children should rotate parents, spending time with one group of adults, then another, then another, learning from each and moving on to learn more.

you can't be serious... first, the potential for abuse... would the children be comfortable with this? I couldn't imagine living with a group of strangers and then "rotating" them every few months... would the parents be comfortable? there are also liability issues... it just wouldn't work. maybe you had a bad childhood or something, but rotating parents isn't the answer.

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: A proposed end to our concept of [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1585733 - 05/28/03 06:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like something out of the movie K-Pax

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: A proposed end to our concept of [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1585893 - 05/28/03 07:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ToxicMan,

That is an interesting way of going about it, however the responsibility of educating the children is still in the hands of an individual or single party, whereas I am suggesting that many adults teach our children... and not in the sense of our current public school situation, because as we all know, teachers are following cirriculum approved by government, which knows nothing about what children should be learning.

But yeah, at least this individual would be impartial, perhaps for a period of time, but even still, a fondness is bound to develop, and I imagine impartiality would disspate over time as it would with the regular parents.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: A proposed end to our concept of [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1585934 - 05/28/03 07:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

you can't be serious... first, the potential for abuse... would the children be comfortable with this? I couldn't imagine living with a group of strangers and then "rotating" them every few months... would the parents be comfortable? there are also liability issues... it just wouldn't work. maybe you had a bad childhood or something, but rotating parents isn't the answer.

Rotating of parent figures would not be random. The exchanges would be between approving adults, and the children would also have to approve of the new parents after a sort of "trial period". As for the potential for abuse... it exists with a child's biological parents just as much as it would with any other supposedly responsible adults. If a child is abused, they should be given the ability to leave their current foster family. They must be taught that they have free will at a very early stage in their lives.

This is all very conceptual and is not based on the current state of modern Western lifestyle. That is obvsiouly why you reject the idea so quickly. This is a concept which can't be immediately implemented into our society. There are things that we have to learn, and more importantly things we have to un-learn before such a concept could be put into effect in our tradition-bound family structures.

And yes, it is a lot like what is suggested by Prot in the movie K-Pax. I have also read of this in a book written by somebody who was supposedly taken to the planet of highly advanced extra-terrestrials for a period of 9 days. On this planet of highly evolved spiritual beings, family was understood to be universal and not limited to your own bloodlines.

--------------------

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: A proposed end to our concept of "family" [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1586020 - 05/28/03 07:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"Children should rotate parents, spending time with one group of adults, then another, then another, learning from each and moving on to learn more."
-------------------

This already happens though... It starts around the age of 4 and ends... well it's hard to say when it ends...

Children go to school... The teachers assume a parental role for the kids... Kids see more of their teachers than they do their own parents.

It also happens when the kids visit their friends' houses... Surely other culture rubs off.

[ edit* Sometimes even, the kids are brought up in front of the TV ... A "parent" which has also been dubbed "the BOOB TUBE" ... I smell trouble ... ]

Often too... the parents are too busy or too tired to spend quality time with the children... I'm not saying this happens ALL the time, but enough of the time to matter.

I think the stiff rules parents often implement is a "quick-fix" method of parenting.

That kind of love is not worth as much as spending real quality time with the young ones. You have to admit... young ones are time consuming... Sometimes they are not even wanted... [ In the case of accidents that have not been accepted ]

Many people may poke at that "spend more quality time " part I just said... But if they really did it, then they'd understand and wouldn't poke at it.

Juvenile delinquency is often rooted in adult delinquency... And in this process, parents play a key role..

You want to hear an interesting song? Download: So What ... by Ministry.

It may not be your favorite style of music, but I tell ya... The message is LOUD AND CLEAR !

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Edited by Deiymiyan (05/28/03 08:15 PM)

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: A proposed end to our concept of "family" [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1586167 - 05/28/03 08:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Children go to school... The teachers assume a parental role for the kids... Kids see more of their teachers than they do their own parents.

It also happens when the kids visit their friends' houses... Surely other culture rubs off.

They go to school, but the education system is far too homogenized by government bureaus, the teaching which occurs in school is controlled and strictly confined to the cirriculum assigned by the government. When our kids go to school, very little of the teacher's individuality rubs off on the children. So little that, it's not really the teachers who are teaching, but the government itself. Only a certain type of private education, which is rare and expensive, would be anything like the kind of idea I am suggesting.

But you are right on about television... the electronic babysitter as I call it. It is of course controlled by corporations who sponsor programs, as well as government elements, and unfortunately what kids are exposed to on TV is mostly mind-rotting garbage... and you are right again with parents being neglectful of their children... many of them neglect by choice, but many are pressed for time...

It's too bad that so many people are having children they can't afford to take care of, be that financially, emotionally, socially or whatever... And maybe if enough people realized that our population is out of control, we would take more precautions when using birth control!

Would love to say more right now, but I gotta run!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology