Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? *DELETED*
    #15839647 - 02/20/12 08:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by curiositydream

Reason for deletion: a

Edited by curiositydream (02/20/12 10:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSan
Novice
Male User Gallery

Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: curiositydream]
    #15839796 - 02/20/12 08:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

In a way hallucinogenic properties of some fungi are a superior evolutionary trait, because we clearly have a built in urge to help them reproduce. You can think of them as taking advantage of us, but that requires us to look at ourselves as part of the evolutionary chain, instead of the current way of thinking where we are separate and able to take advantage of the system instead of being subject to it.

I don't know what the hell you were talking about, but perhaps you should wait till you come down a little and then read the definition of symbiosis.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrvwoaFRhk1qhwwreo1_400.jpg
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2331#comic

This thread is being moved in 3... 2... 1...

--------------------
Actually not everyone was a noob.  Being a noob is a very new phenomenon.  Many people, the great majority in fact, were simply "beginners", "novices" or "new to mushroom growing".  Being a "noob" is reserved, and in fact created specifically for and by, the newer, much more lame generations coming about.

-Shpongle1

Edited by San (02/20/12 08:54 PM)

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: San]
    #15839828 - 02/20/12 08:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

haha that is pretty funny (compliment), but no, I havn't done mushrooms for about 7 years. Symbiosis, I meant, in a way that two things (usually both living organisims) as mutually beneficial to eachother. In the case of mushrooms..... psychadelic, mutually beneficial to our spiritual growth,,, and nonpsyhcadelic, beneficial to other such things... (immune system, overall health, etc..)

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? (moved) [Re: curiositydream]
    #15839846 - 02/20/12 09:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
wrong forum

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? (moved) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15839899 - 02/20/12 09:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yea lol, sorry wrong forum, yea i duno mayb dumb question, i duno...

--------------------

OfflineSan
Novice
Male User Gallery

#15839903 - 02/20/12 09:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think the relationship is more loosely mutualistic since tripping balls is hardly fulfilling to our needs as organisms.

--------------------
Actually not everyone was a noob.  Being a noob is a very new phenomenon.  Many people, the great majority in fact, were simply "beginners", "novices" or "new to mushroom growing".  Being a "noob" is reserved, and in fact created specifically for and by, the newer, much more lame generations coming about.

-Shpongle1

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

#15839917 - 02/20/12 09:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I thought it was spiritually fufilling (if used right reasons)

--------------------

OfflineSaowen6
VP of noobs
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #15840007 - 02/20/12 09:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Take the shroom in some random field out in the middle of nowhere, the fact that its hallucinogenic would only have an effect on predation, I would guess...

Though we could have discovered this hallucinogenic property as a primitive people, and as a result, we "made sure" that this organism lived on, as a symbiont. I haven't done shrooms yet, but I assume that it allows you to recognize patterns a bit better? Maybe this could have been the jump start to our evolution... That's just the theory proposed by some.

I don't really take that as truth, but it's still an idea worth recognition IMO...

http://www.archania.org/index.php?page=mushrooms_and_evolution

--------------------
I am a totally ficticious person that doesnt even exist...

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: Saowen6]
    #15840065 - 02/20/12 09:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

haha yea mayb it was a stuipd question/idea...

--------------------

OfflineShpongle1
Male

Loc: Above The Clouds Flag
Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: San] * 1
    #15840072 - 02/20/12 09:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

San said:
tripping balls is hardly fulfilling to our needs as organisms.

I say false.  Look at religion.  All the wars and shit, what a strong hold it still has on our world despite the countless advancements.  Clearly there is something fulfilling to our needs as human organisms that religion fills, and therefore the psychedelic experience could be/is capable of fulfilling tenfold.

--------------------

There are more people imprisoned for the commission of drug offenses in the United States - close to 500,000 - than are incarcerated in England, France, Germany, and Japan for all crimes combined.  Examined in another way, the United States has 100,000 more people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses than all the countries of the European Union combined, despite the fact that the European Union has 100 million more citizens. :crankey: 

- "Drugs and Drug Policy: The Control of Consciousness Alteration, 2007.

OfflineSaowen6
VP of noobs
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: curiositydream] * 1
    #15840076 - 02/20/12 09:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Definitely not a stupid question. I actually like thinking about it haha

--------------------
I am a totally ficticious person that doesnt even exist...

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: Saowen6]
    #15840125 - 02/20/12 09:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yea i guess it is kind of interesting/thought provoking.... I really got the idea from truffles, and how truffles formed a symbiotic relationship with certain trees... also how mushrooms preform certain tasks/functions in nature that are beneficial. When I think about it, mushrooms/mushroomrelated actually probably the hardest workers in nature, and for many different functions/reasons... it would be interesting to figure out how each mushroom/mushromrelated affected each lifeform in a specific way. specificially the beneficial ones (obviously lol), could be really beneficial to know/discover such things

--------------------

Edited by curiositydream (02/20/12 09:56 PM)

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

#15840215 - 02/20/12 10:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

although obviously you want the good ones (psychadelic or non psychadelic), not the bad ones.... I find mushroom discernment one of the most challenging of forte's and starting to think it is somewhat of another sense, to naturally discern such things. The most difficult of difficult things to be able to do.. perhaps has something to do with clairvoyant intuition, another sense, a spiritual sense.. as in a particular type of discernment... of which i am only really starting to realize as a possibility... not quite sure tho..).. I'm starting to think sometimes the mushroom finds you (wild mushroom hunting).. and if it doesn't want to be found you won't find it (that's where the luck comes in...)... haha crazy stuff!! haha

Edited by curiositydream (02/20/12 10:17 PM)

Offlines240779
Male Unread Journal User Gallery
    #15840519 - 02/20/12 11:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: s240779]
    #15841368 - 02/21/12 06:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I wrote a short essay last night summarizing stuff here as well as adding a few things... here it is...

Ancient Symbionts?

Mushrooms/fungi, ancient symbionts? Quite possibly! The idea dawned on me when I started pondering the nature of such organisms. They are probably among the most useful things in nature. Decomposing, acting as a symbiont for trees (truffles) providing them additional and well appreciated phosphorous, even spiritual symbionts for humans/animalsalike in the form of psychadelic mushrooms. Mushrooms do seem to have many functions and purposes, and be darn good at them too. Although, not much is known. Mushrooms do seem to be one of the final frontiers in certain knowledge. They are mysterious and only so much is known about them, and even few people who have such exceptional knowledge. The people who seem to know a good deal of knowledge about these wonderful organisms are few and far between. So in many ways, it is a frontier and even for those who know a few things. I do like challenges and figureing things out and this is a good one! Anyway back on topic, it really does seem that it is possible mushrooms/fungi in general may be symbionts, for a variety of organisms (including humans) for possibly different and unique functions/purposes. I think it would be really fun to understand more about our mycological freinds, and how, really (specifically) they are purposeful. An advanced understanding would improve our ability to use them. So, that comes to a more specific question... Are psychadelic mushrooms spiritual symbionts? I do think it is quite possible. A symbiont is another organism that has a relationship with you, or another organism for mutual benefits... A common example would be truffles and trees. Truffles (a type of mycological growth) grow under trees and attach themselves to their roots. They both benefit as there is a nutrient exchange, of which each organism could not, or at least have a deficiency, in such nutrients save the symbiosis. I also found it curious that mushrooms/fungi are almost exclusively symbiotic in some way or another, with different relationships from a varied range of life. So a spirutal symbiosis? A symbiosis of which benefits our spirituality, a hard thing to define or understand sometimes, yet there is much evidence and arrows pointing to such a relationship. Somehow, and the compound has been defined (psilocybin, psilocin), these compounds are special and unique to us. Much has yet to be learned though, as this is a frontier. A good example of a spiritual symbiosis is in the movie Star Wars. In Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, a breif few scenes talk of a thing called midichlorians, which(according to Star Wars) are microscopic organisms forming a symbiotic relationship with a lifeform (most notably an individual - alien or human), of which a symbiotic relationship is formed and benefits eachother (dont remember how the midichlorians were benefited, but I'm sure they were, as symbiosis is a mutual beneficiary). This symbiotic relationship was a spirutal one, and the lifeforms were benefited spiritually. I find that very interesting as well as there are psilocybin mushroms (mushroom a very common symbiont) which also have a seemingly spiritual symbosis. And a lasting one! It is so interesting to me as it is curious and mysterious. There are many many many differnt mushrooms, and presumably differnt functions of symbiosis, if infact mushroom/fungi is a symbiotic organism. Another example, the chaga mushroom... famous for its extremely healthy benefits, seemingly and possibly creating a benefit for someone's immune system. It is also very interesting to me the other type of psychadelic mushroom, the Aminita Muscaria. Completely different compounds in it as well as differnt effects. Less documented, although equally as curious as to what that mushrooms spiritual symbiotic function is. One last note.. I find it interesting, the art of finding wild mushrooms. Curious I wonder really how they get found. They seem so mysterious in their findings, as well as intelligent. As if the mushroom finds you, and not you the mushroom. And if it not want be found, it not be found. Such would explain the factor of luck described in mushroom hunting tips. An extremely intelligent organism certainly would be capable of such creative feats, yet understanding this is completely differnt story. ha! I also wonder how ancients discerned mushrooms, from edible or not. Such is something I do not believe just resulted in a guinea pig route. Somehow I think they had some sort of discernment, but in some sort of really creatie and non-sensical direction. Perhaps involin intuition or an environmental sense. They do seem to hide in the darndest of places don't they... ha! well hope to learn more.. also perhaps a temporary active symbiosis, but with lasting benefits much like a day at the amusement park make u feel good all week, or longer. lasting memories, but one day of actual symbiotic activity

Also I believe their main purpose/function is to clean and purify. Psychadelics to the spirital aspects of us, others, our immune system, or a soil, a tree, anything. That is one thing I do notice, the purification of various things (cleaning). perhaps some clean difficult things and accumulate toxins. Such mushrooms perhaps are still cleaners although toxic and nonedible. Still very much possibly useful, in it's own aspect. while most would think "that's gross" and the presence of a mushroom may indicate something needs cleaning, it also a good thing because it means something is there to clean it, soemthing absurdly gifted at such tasks... although I am just learning...

Edited by curiositydream (02/21/12 06:20 AM)

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
    #15841869 - 02/21/12 09:47 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Cur... Paragraphs are our friends and don't mind being used

:-)

Just razzing ya..

Technically, many mushrooms are symbiotic with plants and trees and as an organism, they are ancient....
Many have co- evolved with animals who help the spread and propagate them...

Don't think that is exactly what you had in mind though

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: HarryL]
    #15841943 - 02/21/12 10:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Mushrooms have symbiotic relationships with dozens (if not hundreds or thousands) of organisms. Maybe some of these relationships do not fall under the strict biological definition of symbiosis, but they have very close relationships with lots of other species.

Stamets suggests that during the many long periods of limited sunlight the earth was plunged into because of meteor impacts or the eruptions of supervolcanoes, fungi were the only organisms that thrived. As primary decomposers that do not require sunlight to produce food, fungi were feasting on the heaps of dead organic material left by massive global extinctions.

The plants that lived through this time were forced to form symbiotic relationships with the thriving fungi in order to survive, and these relationships exist to this day.

Some fungi also perform very interesting mind control tricks on animals. Surely you have heard of the rainforest fungus that infects the bodies of ants, who are then compelled to find the highest location they can reach before dying and becoming substrate for this fungus' fruiting body.

Some mushrooms are clearly in the 'animal mind control' business, so is it really such a far reach to wonder if they are trying to communicate with humans by the occurrence of a highly psychoactive chemical closely related to human neurotransmitters in their flesh?

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

OfflineWizzy
In Tha Hizzy

Loc: Void Center
Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #15841960 - 02/21/12 10:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

They came from space, in a fashion similar to Venom from Marvel comics

--------------------
:mushdance::mushdance:       
                        :pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom:

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

Re: Are mushrooms ancient symbionts? [Re: Wizzy]
    #15842057 - 02/21/12 10:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

sometimes mushrooms seem so advanced (advanced form of life) that it is scary... glad there are some good ones, and what a pleasure it is to meet them!! hahhahha

--------------------

Offlinecuriositydream
?
Male

#15842065 - 02/21/12 10:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It does seem as if there is much to learn from them, as lifeforms, not just science

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale