Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKefkaX
Vice President.No, wait.*Junior* VicePresident!

Loc: Sydney Australia
Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?)
    #1583752 - 05/28/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I must clarify, I've never found an active species before, hence the uncertainty. I have however, had images of subs burned into my memory from seeing so many photos from some of you lucky people.
On today's walk through a reserve, made specifically because we've had a fair bit more rain recently, these caught my eye:

Those pictures really aren't the clearest, I agree. So he's two photos from after I got back home, now showing clearer signs of their bruising.

At least to me, the following details are necessary, since obviously I'd like to be certain before putting anything in my mouth, that it won't somehow kill me.
The stem on the longest one is around 3 inches, the largest cap about an inch and a half. The stems aren't hollow, and the mushrooms themselves have a pleasant mushroomy smell.
I'm in the process of taking a spore print now, and will leave it to print overnight for best effect. Only the resident experts would know if this is absolutely necessary, but for the sake of vague descriptions, I printed one for about an hour or so, and it gave me the impression it will be kind of darkish, purple colour. Since if it were white or any other light colour, or particularly brown, I would be able to tell.

Anyway, all help will of course be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile: 

--------------------
Immerse your soul in love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: KefkaX]
    #1583766 - 05/28/03 01:36 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

definitely sub's! nice find, enjoy them!

may i ask what general area in sydney you found them in??

cheers,
jimbu

OfflineKefkaX

Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: jimbu]
    #1583816 - 05/28/03 01:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It was in the hills region. You know, Baulkham Hills and such. And as anyone from around here would know, that's really not giving specifics.
Unfortunately it was only a small patch. I made sure not to take them all though. Hopefully I can find some more there in the future.

It's really strange. I thought I'd be really excited when I first found an active species, but I think the fact that I've been hunting for a fairly long time now, and I hadn't slept in a long time, and there were lots of transportational screw ups involved in the trip, resulting in my having to spend 3 hours walking to get to the nearest mall... kind of lessened the childish glee I'd expected.
But I'm sure that won't be the case when I eat them. I've decided to do it whilst listening to the new Radiohead.

I'd like to say at this point though... without this place, the invaluable asset to me that it has been... I don't think I ever would've actually gotten off my arse and started mushroom hunting as opposed to just entertaining the idea. And the fact that there are some quite knowledgeable people here not only gives me the opportunity to find out more about the kinds of things I'm finding, but makes the whole experience far more enjoyable. Especially if it allows you to know exactly what you're looking for. Which obviously, is very important.
I know it's been said before, but if only this sort of information were more publicly available...
I suppose knowledge comes to those who seek it out. I'm just glad I found it :grin: 

--------------------

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
    #1583890 - 05/28/03 02:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wow, that's way cool! and congratulations on your find!

as u've prolly read from my post(s), i've had to drive out to the blue mountains in order to have any success... luckily i've found a few obvious and heavily growing spots up there, and hopefully the mycelium i've transported will fruit some closer to home in the future :smile:

Offlineganesh
stranger still
Loc: cloud seven
    #1583996 - 05/28/03 02:47 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yup... some nice subs there kefkax! Enjoy them.

They definitely seem to make you pay your dues... I think i must have gone on about 10 hunts before i found my first... and my reaction was - "its about fuckin time" - more relief than anything...

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: ganesh]
    #1584098 - 05/28/03 03:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Nice subs - look like azures.

--------------------

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1584274 - 05/28/03 07:35 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

haha ganesh! i must have spent over $150 on petrol before i found any! and when i did it was jackpot! huge relief, lots of excitement! :laugh:

in todays hunt i was expecting less excitement but was extremely satisfied with finding different subtypes - wavy capped, nipple umbo, etc! totally unexpected, and i was thinking before hand it would be very satisfying to find some different subs :laugh:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1584280 - 05/28/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Very cool discovery for ya mate.

have a shroomy day again. Nice photo of the first one.
mj

Offlinefatasaurus
pinger
Loc: Melbourne, Vic, AU
Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1584392 - 05/28/03 09:02 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You poor unfortunate souls.....

This is only my second mushroom season. However, last season, about 3 weeks into it we decided it was time to stop hoping for some LSD and start researching mushrooms (we didn't even know they were in season around here) within a week one of my mates had found something (on the way to school) that looked alot like the photo's from here and Erowid.......they turn out to be P.subaeruginosa and we have been blessed with finding heaps ever since.

.....and thats the story of how we first found shrooms....it happened about as quickly as you read this post = D.

--------------------
"You can't make the scene, if you don't have the green"

OfflineKefkaX

Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: fatasaurus]
    #1584481 - 05/28/03 09:55 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ah, you lucky, lucky man :laugh:

There's a lot to be said for spending a lot time researching things and hunting for regular mushrooms beforehand though. You almost forget the original intent is to simply FIND TEH BOOMERZ.
Hopefully I'll find more from there in the future. I think the main reason I've had no luck finding actives in the past is because we've had absolutely no rain here in Sydney. No rain throughout all of Summer. We're only just now starting to make up for it.
Now my major concern is how to preserve them. I hope there aren't a lot of negative effects in just leaving them in the cupboard in a paper bag. 

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1584567 - 05/28/03 10:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice... Nice pictures too!

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #1586347 - 05/28/03 07:59 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Beautiful! Congratulations on your find  :grin:
the close-ups are great...

Nice meaty fruits too...looks like they're appearing in many areas then  :wink:

As for preserving....presuming you want to dry them for powdering and gel-capping or something (keeping in mind some potency is lost by drying) I would suggest sitting em in front of a fan for a while and then drying out above some dessicant in a sealed container explained here

like this

i've heared of honey being used too as a preservative but never tried it  :wink:

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Edited by ruskifile (05/28/03 08:12 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1592349 - 05/30/03 07:18 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

We are examining the DNA of the wavy capped, umbonated, orange-capped, brown bulb-capped types and a few other Subaeruginosa variants to see if there are any differences. The spore sizes vary only on location

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1594196 - 05/30/03 05:20 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nice subs - look like azures. 

glad I'm not the only one who thought so :smile:...I know nothing about iding shrooms but first thing that popped into my head when I saw em was azures

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: ]
    #1594217 - 05/30/03 05:26 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

My friend's mother just got a new job.  She gets to take care of the horses at a billionare's barn.  But that's not the best part.  She also get's to live in the house, and share everything there, including the swimming pool, ect.  It has over 200 akers of land on that property, and I know i'm going to find some shrooms.  Hopefully I'll find them in the barn though. :smirk:  And the owner does not even live there, it's just where he keeps his horses.

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

OfflineHardicus
MR
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: Dank420]
    #1668084 - 06/27/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

KefkaX - From your pics I only have one suggestion: take some scissors with you next time. It appears as though you've yank some of these out mycelium and all, which is a big nono if you want more mushrooms this and next season. Next time simply snip the stem of the mushie at the base, and tap the cap of the mushroom first, to aid in a little bit of spore dropping.

Other than that, nice find, hey look very beautiful.

OfflineShorza
Stranger

Loc: Dandenongs, Vic, Australi...
Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: Hardicus]
    #1681510 - 07/02/03 08:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

^^^
True true.

--------------------
[insert witty comment here]

OfflineKefkaX

Re: Indentification (Psilocybe subaeruginosa?) [Re: Hardicus]
    #1683588 - 07/03/03 10:14 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

LOL. This is quite an old thread, I'm not sure why you dug it up. But yes, that was the first time I picked them, and I decided to pick a couple with the base because I wasn't sure if pictures of the base were necessary for identification. Only three all up, so I knew it wouldn't make a great difference. I'm still picking from that patch, small as it is.
And I've taken scissors every time since, so don't worry :smile:

First find was quite unexpected, hence no scissors.

Also, I believe it's been established cap-tapping makes little to no difference, as it doesn't make the mushroom produce spores any quicker.
I also decided after that first time that I wouldn't pick any mushrooms that weren't of a decent size.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate