Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestarfungi
daydreamer

Loc: south pacific
kiwi mushrooms
    #1580293 - 05/27/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey!
I'm newly registered to this forum, but I've been lurking for a while and I must say this place is wicked!!!
I hope to add some knowledge in here someday soon...but first I must learn something myself. Sooo, I'd appreciate a lot if you guys would help me identifying these ones I picked the other week.

They were found in the Wellington (New Zealand) region, growing in grassy conditions with a lot of trees nearby, all kinds of trees actually! None of them bruised blue. The red cap used for sporeprint is about an inch across.
Tried to identify the grey one, and I think it's a Panaeolus of some kind. The red one I have no idea. And the orange ones to the right I don't suspect to be active.
Also, does Weiliis grow in New Zealand? I found some the other day that looked *very* similar to the ones just posted on this forum by GumbyDude.

Thanks heaps!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: starfungi]
    #1580351 - 05/27/03 12:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don't have time to take a stab at the ID right now, but no, weilii don't grow there... Only in Georgia :tongue:

However, there are quite a few active Psilocybes that grow in New Zealand that might resemble Ps. weilii. Psilocybe aucklandii is the first one that comes to mind. Psilocybe subaeruginosa is another possiblity in New Zealand, I think...

They're out there, and right now is the right season for you guys, so keep on looking :smile:

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #1580715 - 05/27/03 04:17 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey dude....
Good to see you're hunting out and about...sorry to say none of those shroomies in your pic are active, but hey at least they're shrooms!
The red ones in the middle look like red stropharia...they are really common all around New Zealand, but the good news is that they have more or less the same habitat / fruiting conditions as subaeruginosa (from my own observations), so that shows you're looking in the right type of places :wink:
The ones on the right I'm not positive on but they could be sulphur tufts or something along those lines...they are definatley not active though...
The ones on the left, they are what are known as 'Little brown mushrooms' in the fungus jargon...in other words, there are 1000's of species that look similar to that and theyre pretty 'nitty gritty' to identift...I can say that they're not magic though...and I beleive that the panaleous is a warm weather fruiting mushroom.
In the wellington region your best bet is probably Ps. Subaeruginosa...look in wood chip areas that the council etc. has layed in parks and along highways etc, especially under pittosporum bushes.
If you can get to some sheep or cow pastures you could also try looking for some Ps. Semilanceata.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: zee_werp]
    #1580836 - 05/27/03 07:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

actualy the first mushrooms (on the left) probably ARE active. but not mind-blowingly so. they're definately panaeolus.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1581028 - 05/27/03 09:45 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Those are drying panaeolus sphinctrinus and are not psychoactive.
mjshroomer

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1581041 - 05/27/03 09:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Panaeolus sphinctrinus i agree

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #1581350 - 05/27/03 11:54 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I love the red "stropharia". I'd be willing to trade a print for it if interested.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinestarfungi
daydreamer

Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: Workman]
    #1581970 - 05/27/03 03:53 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, I'll try again this weekend. Now I kno what to avoid!
I've got a few hints on areas from people around. The hunt is on..
Some people are talking about 'gold tops', Anyone know exactly what kind of shroom that is?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1581975 - 05/27/03 03:56 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Good top usually refers to P. cubensis and was a popular term amongs certain biker groups who use to frequent the Gold Coast in the late 1960s and shroom and surf.

However, I take it you are from New Zealand and Psilocybe cubensis does not occur there naturally.

Here is a list of the known species of magic shrooms in NZ

Auckland
Psilocybe aucklandii Guzm?n, King & Bandala.
Psilocybe semilanceata (Fr.:Secr.) P. Kumm.
Copelandia cyanescens (Bk. & Br.) Singer.

North Island
Psilocybe aucklandii Guzm?n, King & Bandala
Psilocybe australiana Guzm?n & Watling.
Psilocybe eucalypta Guzm?n & Watling
Psilocybe subaeruginosa Cleland.
Psilocybe tasmaniana Guzm?n & Watling.

South Island
Psilocybe makarorae Johnston & Buchanan.
Psilocybe semilanceata (Fr.:Secr) P. Kumm.
Psilocybe subaeruginosa Cleland.

mj

However, some refer to the blue meanie mushroom (Copelandia cyanescens) as Gold caps and sometimes as Gold Tops. Terms used int he SOUTH East USA to describe P. cubensis.

mj

see my book Magic Mushrooms of austrlia and New Zealand posted at http://www.erowid.org

and have a shroomy day

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (05/27/03 03:58 PM)

Offlinestarfungi
daydreamer

#1582062 - 05/27/03 04:23 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, you wrote that guide, awesome! It's been a bit of a bible to me :smile:
Cheers!

Offlinestarfungi
daydreamer

Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: Workman]
    #1582113 - 05/27/03 04:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Workman,
I can send you a sporeprint for the red stropharia if I find it again. But for trades, I don't know about the idea of sending spores in to NZ. Firstly the customs are really picky with importing organic stuff. Secondly I don't know about the legality of that. Not too long ago a couple got prosecuted just for importing books about drugs into NZ... Well, some of the titles are pretty "offensive", but it's still just books!

http://www.tripzine.com/articles.asp?id=loompannz

Crazy...

InvisibleReverend_Jim_Jones
Stranger
Re: kiwi mushrooms *DELETED* [Re: starfungi]
    #1582395 - 05/27/03 06:47 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted

Edited by Reverend_Jim_Jones (03/29/08 05:45 AM)

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: Reverend_Jim_Jones]
    #1583022 - 05/27/03 10:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

retroactivly banned some of the books he had owned for years

I've probably spent a good ten minutes trying to type something to describe how fucked up that is.

I guess some things really are too despicable for words.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: Reverend_Jim_Jones]
    #1583181 - 05/27/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, the book thing is just weird...I mean look at amazon.com, an American website, they can have basically any books that are published, yet here in NZ even books on growing cannabis can be made illegal.
Do any of you other kiwis know what the criteria is for a book to become illegal? And also is there a list anywhere of banned books?
I think this is an issue that really needs to be brought up in parliament. What is happening to free speech and access to information? I mean the book banning this isn't exactly widespread (for instance I have seen books on growing psychedelic shrooms, growing cannabis, various drug synthesis, in 2nd hand book shops recently), it is a law which, like the prohibition of cannabis, puts innocent, otherwise law abiding (well, not necesarrily, but hypothetically) people at risk of a criminal record.
Lets get things changed.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #1583351 - 05/27/03 11:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It's certainly something we should write to our MPs about, or even sending an email to Nandor.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #1584041 - 05/28/03 03:12 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i disagree, pan sphinctrinus has a brittle, dark (often purple) stipe. also, these mushroom have different gills, id say they look more like psychoactives ive grown on my lawn

like these

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1584100 - 05/28/03 03:53 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

That guide is incorrect, as Ps.Tasmaniana has never been recorded from New Zealand (the specimen ass. by Guzman from NZ did not have forked cystidia), Ps.Australiana and Ps.Subaeruginosa are the same mushroom, and according to two texts, Ps.Semilanceata is only associated with climates of significant altitude in New Zealand
Sorry mate!

--------------------

Edited by Zen Peddler (05/28/03 04:04 AM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1584112 - 05/28/03 04:20 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Are those Stropharia - Stropharia/Hypholoma Auntanciata (sp?). You know, the mildly poisonous variety?

--------------------

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: kiwi mushrooms [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1584201 - 05/28/03 06:36 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I believe those are Stropharia aurantiaca....they are really common all around NZ, usually on woodchips, and yeah they are definatley not edible...
As for Ps. Semilanceata, yeah they fruit more abundantly at higher altitudes, but in the lower south island they do occur quite a lot at heights of as low as 50m above sea level, within easy sight of the ocean.
And sheepish, I think some letters to MPs on the book thing is definatley in order...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1584297 - 05/28/03 07:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Blue Meanie, the P. semilanceata informationin my book and in my paper with Guaman came from Kaerl L. R. Jansen who was at the University of Auckland. He collected species represented in my paper in New Zealand.

He nbpow teaches medicine at Oxford University in England.

I also had published on this site the letter from NZ authorities to Jansen when they confiscated a copy of his High Times to which he Subscribed. They listed it as under the contraban act as illegal in NZ.

That was years before this person had his drug books.

Not sure if you are aware but I was denied a visa to visit New Zealand becasue of my internet book. I could be prosecuted if I go there for teaching people how to drug on shrooms because odf my book at erowid.org.

m,j

A strictly totaletarian government5 in NZ, polus 400 or more tremors a year HUh.

have a shroomy day.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds