Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedetailorient
Stranger
Side pinning/bottom pinning issues (pics)
    #15831077 - 02/19/12 07:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I recently acquired two bulk substrate tubs that are currently pinning like crazy on the bottoms and sides. The pins are smashed up against the sides and bottom. My friend didnt use any sort of liner to block out light, he said he never does. In his defense, he's grown a lot of shrooms. There are a few pins 2 or 3 inches long sticking up through the top as well. Maybe 20 or so in each tub coming though the top of the substrate.

I've eaten mushrooms plenty of times but this is my first experience with growing, I was given these by a friend who needed to get rid of them and obviously I  don't want to fuck up this awesome (and free) opportunity. Should I let them grow and just see what happens? Should I flip the substrate? I've read on here that likely the moisture is too low at the surface. I misted this morning, was that a bad idea?

Help me please, totally clueless.

Edited by detailorient (02/19/12 02:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKing of Pain
Male User Gallery

Loc: utah
Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: detailorient]
    #15831094 - 02/19/12 07:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

just let them grow.

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

#15831095 - 02/19/12 08:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The misting was fine, and welcome to the shroomery.

Just let them grow and give them plenty of fresh air at this point and don't let them dry out too much. The sid/bottom pinning could be cause by air getting between the tub and the substrate. Is your substrate shrunken from the edges? If so, then it's just a little dry. But you said they're smashed against the side of the tub, so I don't know if that's the case.

Here's what I think happened: While transporting the tub from your buddy's place to yours, the substrate pulled away from the tub just because of bending and moving it around... That probly got air in the sides and bottom of your tub which lead it to some side/bottom pinning. That coupled with the fact that there is no liner or tape to block light out. I wouldn't worry about it at this point man. Make sure you take some spore prints if you're interested in growing in the future. You can always flip the substrate to pick the ones on bottom when you harvest.

--------------------
All of the cultivation photos uploaded by this account were taken in an area of the globe where such practices are legal and uninhibited.

Offlinedetailorient
Stranger
Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: trophycase]
    #15831124 - 02/19/12 08:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the quick replies!

I was worried about the side/bottoms being smashed against the side, as I figured they just wouldn't grow into mature mushrooms. I was also kinda bummed at the sheer amount of pins on the bottom/sides, it would be amazing to have that many popping up through the top. Then again it's only been a few days. I guess I'll just keep everything moist and let it grow. Hopefully I'll have some good news in a week or so! Thanks again.

PS: What's the best lighting for fruiting? I've read a lot of different things and wasn't exactly sure. From what I've understood, dark is better for fruiting, is that wrong?

Offlinesof4r0ckeRs1984
Male User Gallery

#15831151 - 02/19/12 08:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I recognized that I tended to overmist them. Myc often times looks too dry to the unexperiences eye, but is well hydrated. When it gets too dry it will bruise and turn brownish.
It should not feel like a wet sponge. The misting is more to moisten the surface and later on evaporate, because that's one of the most important pinning triggers.

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: sof4r0ckeRs1984]
    #15831165 - 02/19/12 08:26 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah bro, mainly just mist so that it can evaporate from the surface. This evaporation causes pinning. If you can see mist or what looks almost like dew on the surface, then don't mist until it evaporates.

The mushrooms squished to the sides of the tub will still mature, so don't worry about that either. They just won't look too pretty. If there are really that many on the bottom, then keep an eye on them until they mature and then pick the top of the tub and then flip the substrate to pick the ones on bottom.

For light, use a 6500k compact flourescent (CFL). Wattage is not important. Mine is only about 30w I believe. They're pretty cheap. Keep it on a 12/12 or similar schedule. If you can't find where it says the 6500k color temperature, then it will work also if it says "daylight" color. Although those are sometimes around 5000k I believe.

Good luck.

--------------------
All of the cultivation photos uploaded by this account were taken in an area of the globe where such practices are legal and uninhibited.

Offlinedragonnreeferr
clusterheadache sufferer
Male

Loc: OhighO
Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: sof4r0ckeRs1984]
    #15831186 - 02/19/12 08:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

best lighting indirect sunlight imo so if u can see in room u have enuff  shrooms dun need light like plants

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: dragonnreeferr]
    #15831211 - 02/19/12 08:42 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dragonnreeferr said:
best lighting indirect sunlight imo so if u can see in room u have enuff  shrooms dun need light like plants

They don't need light, but they enjoy it. You will get bigger yields with proper lighting. Indirect sunlight is only an option if you don't mind shrooms sitting out in the open of your living space... Not ideal when you have company.

--------------------

Offlinedetailorient
Stranger
    #15831915 - 02/19/12 12:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys, just wanted to ask another question

I read online that some of the bottom pins will come through in later flushes? Does that sound right?

Also I figured I'd add a picture to show you guys what I'm working with here, sorry for the crappy quality and huge size.

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
    #15832061 - 02/19/12 12:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Side pinning is my harvesting bane.

It's really only a problem when you go to cut the damn things out of there, and end up missing half because you couldn't see the stem did a big U turn after growing towards the bottom first.

Basically the only way to stop it, is to make sure the atmosphere at the sides of the cake, is identical to the atmosphere over the cake.

This is most easily done by taking your bulk when it's colonized, and just as it starts to pin, you take the thing out very carefully, and lie it on (well whatevers at hand, I used tin foil last time, as I haven't found the plastic dishmats I want yet) in a greenhouse FC, you're screwed with monotubs basically.

This makes it harder when you want to clean up after everything, but at least the next time your cake pins it will come out all evenly, and even if it does come out at the sides, well theres no bin to worry about anymore, so they'll harvest easily.

RR's method is to just lay wax paper over the top of the mycelium as it starts to pin, to make the surface more like the sides of the bin.

Offlinedetailorient
Stranger
Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: Viruk]
    #15832406 - 02/19/12 02:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Check out the bottom of this tub :frown:

I wish I could flip the substrate without ruining it..

Are these really going to get bigger and mature? Just harder to pick? :confused:

Sorry again for the image size/quality and thanks to everyone for helping

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#15832570 - 02/19/12 02:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

holy shit dog.

thats a lot of mushrooms.

you should fruit it like a block in a SGFC

look in my gallery

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Offlinedetailorient
Stranger
Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: k00laid]
    #15832723 - 02/19/12 03:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

k00laid said:
holy shit dog.

thats a lot of mushrooms.

you should fruit it like a block in a SGFC

look in my gallery

Yeah dude, and the other tub has just as many in the bottom, if not more.

It's really a bummer.

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#15832986 - 02/19/12 04:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

thats a bummer????

:confused:

thats a lot of mushrooms fellow.

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

#15833003 - 02/19/12 04:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I doubt they'll come through in later flushes... They will mature before then and start to go bad. That's why I'm saying wait till everything matures, and then pick the whole damn block. Take it out and flip it over to get those suckers. They'll be perfectly fine, just a little mishapen. Then you can put that block in a SGFC if you want to try that for a second flush... But that sounds like one hell of a task in my opinion.

--------------------

Offlinedetailorient
Stranger
    #15833539 - 02/19/12 06:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the replies guys.

If I can get a good flush out of these I'll be happy. I have four jars as well that are almost colonized. If I decide to try again I'll definitely prepare the tub better than this one. I'll post results as well. Thanks again.

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
Re: Side pinning/bottom pinning issues [Re: detailorient] * 1
    #15834218 - 02/19/12 07:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

A very easy thing to do right now, let the thing fruit, let all those fruit on the bottom, they'll make themselves space.

When the tub is done, tilt it on its side \, and with clean hands you should be able to pull the whole mycelium block forwards, tilting it out \| onto a clean surface.

Then you just pull the ones off the bottom, discard the really soggy wet ones, the rest should be fine, just odd shaped.

OfflineSwwert
Truck-Boat-Truck

#15834320 - 02/19/12 08:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

holy shit! lotta pins broda

--------------------
Whole Brown Rice Cakes TEK

"The mushrooms are just loving you back."
"Maria Sabina is a symbol of wisdom and love."

Offlinedetailorient
Stranger
    #15836583 - 02/20/12 07:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Viruk said:
A very easy thing to do right now, let the thing fruit, let all those fruit on the bottom, they'll make themselves space.

When the tub is done, tilt it on its side \, and with clean hands you should be able to pull the whole mycelium block forwards, tilting it out \| onto a clean surface.

Then you just pull the ones off the bottom, discard the really soggy wet ones, the rest should be fine, just odd shaped.

Thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully I'll be able to salvage a decent flush. Thanks again everyone! Great forum!

Offlinerodent
Stranger
    #15940652 - 03/13/12 01:01 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I have a couple of tubs that look like that. Did you find a good way to get at them without tearing your bulk up?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate