Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

eBay Shop for: Lab Glassware

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

6 more bodies found at Stonehenge
    #1582796 - 05/27/03 10:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Click here.

"RADIOCARBON TESTS will be done to find out more precise dates for the burials but the group is believed to have lived around 2300 B.C., during the building of Stonehenge at Amesbury, 75 miles southwest of London, said Wessex Archaeology, which excavated the site.
The latest bones discovered are about the same age of those of the archer, said Wessex Archaeology.
?This new find is really unusual. It is exceptionally rare to find the remains of so many people in one grave like this in southern England,? said Andrew Fitzpatrick of Wessex Archaeology.
?The grave is fascinating because we are seeing the moment when Britain was moving from the Stone Age into the Bronze Age, around 2300 B.C.?
Wessex Archaeology said it is possible the bones are those of people from different generations, as the grave seems to have been reopened to allow further burials.
The grave contained four pots belonging to the Beaker Culture that flourished in the Swiss Alps during the Bronze Age, some flint tools, one flint arrowhead and a bone toggle for fastening clothing, Wessex Archaeology said.
The large number of bodies placed in this grave is something more commonly found in the Stone Age, but the Beaker style pottery is characteristic of Bronze Age burials.

The archer was identified by the flint arrowheads found by his body. Archaeologists said some 100 artifacts found in his exceptionally rich grave, discovered about three miles from Stonehenge, indicate he was a man of stature and likely involved in constructing the monument.
Although the indigenous British originally came from mainland Europe, they settled thousands of years before the arrival of the archer, who clearly belonged to a different culture, marked by a new style of pottery, the use of barbed flat arrow heads, copper knives and small gold ornaments.
His grave contained teeth and bones as well as two gold hair tresses, three copper knives, flint arrowheads, wrist guards and pottery. The copper knives came from Spain and France. The gold dated to as early as 2470 B.C., the earliest dated gold objects found in Britain."

Interesting stuff.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: 6 more bodies found at Stonehenge [Re: ]
    #1582808 - 05/27/03 11:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Truly interesting. I've always wanted to go see StoneHenge and plan on making it there before I leave. Have you been there?

Anonymous

Re: 6 more bodies found at Stonehenge [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1584694 - 05/28/03 01:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, I was there a few years ago. I was in contact with the director and had planned to set it up so I could collect mushrooms within the circle to check for anomalies but I didn't get around to it.

As a note, you cannot walk inside the circle of the stones. The whole thing has been very commercialized. They even sell Stonehenge "Rock Candy" at the concession stand. I bought a T shirt and a mug. You are allowed to walk a path (no smoking) that goes around the stones and they do allow pictures. You will never be closer than 50 feet from the stones.

Edited by Anonymous (05/28/03 01:26 PM)

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1585249 - 05/28/03 04:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You have that kind of power MR M !!!?  You are in a position to makethose kinds of deals?

I was reading your initial post..  And I was thinking..  Wow, this is strange...  It's the same article I read too:

"LONDON, May 22 ?  Archaeologists who last year unearthed the remains of a Bronze Age archer at Stonehenge said Wednesday they have found six more bodies near the mysterious ring of ancient monoliths. The remains of four adults and two children were found about half a mile from that of the archer, dubbed ?The King of Stonehenge? by Britain?s tabloid press. Archaeologists said he came from Switzerland and may have been involved in building the monument..."

Switzerland eh?  Heh heh eh...  Maybe he also gave them the secret chocolate recipe!  :grin:  That was a joke...  Their chocolate is out of this world though !

I was wondering...  Is there any way that a commoner, such as myself, can get into the circle?

Or... per chance...  are there any close pics available of Stonehenge's inner walls?

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineScvotto_Turellskey
recreationalrioter

Re: 6 more bodies found at Stonehenge [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1585655 - 05/28/03 06:33 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I was under the impression you could just walk right in, as it's open to the public.
Driven past it a few times, never actually had time to stop.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"They think we are retarded - they are retarded." - The Sultan of Spin.

Anonymous

Re: 6 more bodies found at Stonehenge [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1586477 - 05/28/03 10:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It's not power really. All you have to do call the director. The number is listed.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1586742 - 05/29/03 12:10 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

There's a number you can call directly !!!! ????    :shocked:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1594879 - 05/30/03 10:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I collected some mushrooms around the edge of stone henge last summer, but did not find anything of note. I was inside the circle when I was very young, before it was so commercialized.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

eBay Shop for: Lab Glassware

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology