Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: Me_Roy]
    #15824412 - 02/17/12 05:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Me_Roy said:
'penultimate' means 'second to last,' not 'really, really awesome.'

I seriously LOLed!  I totally missed that one!
:rofl:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #15824421 - 02/17/12 05:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Me_Roy said:

yeah, what a dumb move. I was reading it the other day when i checked on this thread and laughed at myself, but since no one caught it, figured no point in editing it.

wonder what i was going for that is beyond ultimate?

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #15824492 - 02/17/12 06:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SneezingPenis said:
Quote:

Me_Roy said:

yeah, what a dumb move. I was reading it the other day when i checked on this thread and laughed at myself, but since no one caught it, figured no point in editing it.

wonder what i was going for that is beyond ultimate?

I've made the same mistake very recently -- when talking with one of my profs, no less.

Just thought I'd help course correct, if only to be a better influence  'pon da yout'.

Invisiblexanderofpella

Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: Me_Roy] * 1
    #15826721 - 02/18/12 05:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

<<< This man.

--------------------
[quote]sVs said:
Adorable overload is imminent.[/quote]

[quote]YSHServant  said:
You are on my turf when you are in the pub.[/quote]

[quote]ButteredToast said:
Shroomery 2012- Thread goes from discussing a possibly deceased member to posting nudes of her.[/quote]

InvisiblePsilocypher
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: xanderofpella] * 2
    #15826789 - 02/18/12 06:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Bob Ross.

--------------------

OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: Psilocypher]
    #15830562 - 02/19/12 02:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Psilocypher said:
Bob Ross.

Second place is ultimately unanswerable in my opinion because while the sheet music of the great composers exists, recordings of them playing it do not and one can only imagine what they, the writers of the music (their personalties cannot wholly be represented by sheet music) would actually have sounded like performing live.

Based off of what I have read about his live ability, I'd go

but how can I really know.

"Even the normally unflappable Goethe was disconcerted by Paganini:
"I lack a base for this column of sunbeams and clouds", he said. "I heard
something simply meteoric and was unable to understand it." Rossini, Donizetti,
Liszt, Auber, Heine, De Musset, Delacroix, George Sand and many other famed
practitioners of the arts attended Paganini's Paris début in 1831,
and were dazzled by him. In London, where he became the darling of the
court and the public, the Times critic, in the midst of describing Paganini's
playing, felt obliged to caution his readers: "You may not believe half
of what I am telling you, and I am not telling you half of what there is
to be told.""

--------------------

Edited by WScott (02/19/12 02:13 AM)

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: WScott]
    #15928809 - 03/10/12 09:42 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

einstein man he lived in realness of self! love the guy
Dali had realness locked down aswell im intrested how he could pull things so well from his dreams they look paranormal on canvas but in reality its just as real as the desk infront of me right?

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy
in waiting for my rebirth cycle i have hopes that when mushrooms find me it will occur then and i can go about the world as a medicine man
walking staff in one hand spaceship in the other
a journeyman of nature soon to be stepping up to novice hopefully i will have time to become an expert, and i believe only in death will i become a master

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Loc: on the magic bus
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #15931760 - 03/10/12 11:54 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

SneezingPenis said:
who could you put up there? doesnt even have to be a single person, but a collective.... would you say "the beatles"? Kubrick? Mozart? Van Gogh? Tolstoy? Nickelback?

who do you think is the penultimate of all time? not who you like the most, but who you can respectufully say "that dude made a ton of awesome, life changing shit".

who do you put forth, and why? dont just post a name, and dont post some long rambling, tired diatribe about how i can't decide because art is subjective....

Me. I choose me. Because I am an egomaniac who also happens to be an artist. Honestly though, I choose me because I make art for me, because my arts target audience is me, and when I hear a piece of mine that has been completed, I go, "wow, I really enjoyed that because I feel like I said what needed to be said. I really enjoyed that commentary on ____." I think if you are an artist, you should be the most important artist there is to you. Finding a voice of your own is very difficult, and then, what you do with that voice, once you have it, is journey of its own. If you can't make art for yourself that you feel is relevant to you in some way, than you aren't an artist, you're a technician, or a craftsman.

Honestly. I have lots of influences, and I appreciate lots of other artists work, I will continue to gain more influences and appreciate more artists as my life continues, but once I stop trying to make art I'll enjoy, that'll be the day when someone else becomes more important to me.

--------------------
WAFFLEZZ!!!11!!!1!!!1!!!!

InvisibleStopwhispering
The voodoo peoples
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: Sunny]
    #15932154 - 03/11/12 04:41 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

The impossible question asked once more...

Best I can do is give you 5, although the next 5 would rate just as high on my list.

In no paticular order.

Miles Davis
Salvador Dali
The trip hop movement in it's entirety
Tom Jenkinson aka Squarepusher
Mike Patton

This leaves out so many that I would put up there, I most definately cannot pick one though.

OfflineShadeOfDeepPurple
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Isle Of Everywhere Flag
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: Sunny]
    #15932275 - 03/11/12 06:53 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Sunny said:
Quote:

SneezingPenis said:
who could you put up there? doesnt even have to be a single person, but a collective.... would you say "the beatles"? Kubrick? Mozart? Van Gogh? Tolstoy? Nickelback?

who do you think is the penultimate of all time? not who you like the most, but who you can respectufully say "that dude made a ton of awesome, life changing shit".

who do you put forth, and why? dont just post a name, and dont post some long rambling, tired diatribe about how i can't decide because art is subjective....

Me. I choose me. Because I am an egomaniac who also happens to be an artist. Honestly though, I choose me because I make art for me, because my arts target audience is me, and when I hear a piece of mine that has been completed, I go, "wow, I really enjoyed that because I feel like I said what needed to be said. I really enjoyed that commentary on ____." I think if you are an artist, you should be the most important artist there is to you. Finding a voice of your own is very difficult, and then, what you do with that voice, once you have it, is journey of its own. If you can't make art for yourself that you feel is relevant to you in some way, than you aren't an artist, you're a technician, or a craftsman.

Honestly. I have lots of influences, and I appreciate lots of other artists work, I will continue to gain more influences and appreciate more artists as my life continues, but once I stop trying to make art I'll enjoy, that'll be the day when someone else becomes more important to me.

The question wasn't who's the most personal artist to you, it's who's THE GREATEST artist of all time. When judging on impact on music and not impact on me of coarse I'm gonna say something like Pink Floyd, or The Beatles even though I'm a musician because I haven't even recorded anything yet.

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Loc: on the magic bus
Re: greatest artist of all time [Re: ShadeOfDeepPurple]
    #15932564 - 03/11/12 09:46 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Isn't the greatest artist, the most personal artist? There are so many artists whose impact has been enormous, yet as artists, barely had a grip on the simple technical aspects of their art. The criteria didn't ask who was the mostly widely recognized. I still stand by my assessment.

If it really was a matter of who's the most influential artist of all time, the answer would be bone jarringly objective. Bach, because he invented, and popularized equal temperament, as well as key changes, and pioneering use of harmonies. Or perhaps Shakespeare or Homer, for their deep understanding of composition, and their contributions to modern language and culture.

--------------------
WAFFLEZZ!!!11!!!1!!!1!!!!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom