Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Is It An Herb Or A Drug?
    #1580874 - 05/27/03 09:55 AM (14 years, 5 days ago)

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=1292608

Is It An Herb Or A Drug?

The herb is called Salvia Divinorum. You can smoke it, chew it or drink it as tea. Police say the most common users are teenagers and people in their early 20's. The full effects of the herb on the body are unknown, and that's what has law enforcers on alert.

Police call it a drug. The Gulfport shop that sells Salvia Divinorum calls it an herb. But whatever the name, Salvia is getting attention.

"It's coming here, there's no doubt in my mind. It's just a matter of time before it becomes a problem and it's gonna be up to our elected officials to realize that this is a problem and enact laws to control it," says Gulfport Police Captain Pat Pope.

Salvia is a member of the sage family, grown in Mexico. It has been used there for hundreds of years.

"It's a dried leaf, that's basically what it is and what they also do to it is press this down and get the active ingredient that causes the hallucinations and the feeling and they enhance this drug by misting or spraying on the Salvinorin A which is the active ingredient," Pope says.

Enhancing the herb, Pope says, makes it especially potent and dangerous for users. He says it can cause blackouts and memory losses.

"A big danger of this drug is when they start enhancing the potency of it, artificially enhancing it. That's when you start playin' with fire."

The danger and the unknown impact Salvia has on the body has law enforcers labeling Salvia a "drug of concern."

"A lot of people didn't know ecstacy for a long time would cause brain damage. They thought it was a harmless club drug and it turned out it's very dangerous. This could be in the same category," Pope says.

The owners of the Herb Import Company in Gulfport disagree. They say Salvia is nothing more than a cure for stress and anxiety.

"If somebody comes in here and says they have anxieties we will recommend a coupla of different things, passion flowers or salvia and it puts 'em in a relaxed state of mind and I don't consider that to be a drug," Co-owner Terrie Daugherty says.

Only customers who are at least 18 can buy the Salvia at Daugherty's shop. An informational brochure comes with each sale.

Daugherty says she has smoked Salvia and found it to be very relaxing.

"But when it got to the point of goin' into a small like tunnel vision, your side vision starts closin' off, that's when I stopped. That's the mellowist I wanna feel."

The shop usually stocks 200 grams of Salvia. But owner Ronnie Daugherty says recent news reports have grabbed people's interest and a new shipment that arrived Friday morning contained 600 grams.

"It'll probably last 'til, bein' Memorial weekend, probably I'll be out Tuesday," Daugherty says.

Salvia isn't cheap. Just one gram costs $5.00. Marijuana costs about $4.25 a gram.

Although salvia is not widely available in South Mississippi stores, it is easy to find on the internet. A simple search produces dozens of websites with information about the plant, its uses, and how to grow and buy it

The Drug Enforcement Agency says just because salvia is legal, people shouldn't assume it's safe. They advise you to steer clear of it. Efforts to make the herb illegal failed in Congress last year.

byMarcia Hill

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: motaman]
    #1581672 - 05/27/03 03:58 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Is It An Herb Or A Drug?

Mabye both, hmm?

Quote:

The herb is called Salvia Divinorum. You can smoke it, chew it or drink it as tea.

False. It is pretty much useless when swallowed.

Quote:

Enhancing the herb, Pope says, makes it especially potent and dangerous for users. He says it can cause blackouts and memory losses.

Sure, if you smoke too much you won't remember any of the experience. That's about two minutes of your life.

Quote:

"A lot of people didn't know ecstacy for a long time would cause brain damage. They thought it was a harmless club drug and it turned out it's very dangerous. This could be in the same category," Pope says.

It is still unsure wether MDMA causes or not brain damage.

Quote:

The owners of the Herb Import Company in Gulfport disagree. They say Salvia is nothing more than a cure for stress and anxiety.

I doubt they actually think that. They probably just wanna get out of trouble, but, hey...

Quote:

"If somebody comes in here and says they have anxieties we will recommend a coupla of different things, passion flowers or salvia and it puts 'em in a relaxed state of mind and I don't consider that to be a drug," Co-owner Terrie Daugherty says.

Both passion flower and salvia contain psychoactive chemicals. Most, if not all products that put one in a "relaxed state of mind" are drugs. Heck, aspirin is a drug.

Quote:

"But when it got to the point of goin' into a small like tunnel vision, your side vision starts closin' off, that's when I stopped. That's the mellowist I wanna feel."

That makes me laugh. I feel soooooo mellow when I smoke salvia and become the universe. What relaxes me the most is when I have a lenghtly conversation with alien beings!

Quote:

Salvia isn't cheap. Just one gram costs $5.00. Marijuana costs about $4.25 a gram.

Huh? Where can I get this cheap marijuana they're talking about?

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sembryoticasshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: Meph]
    #1582784 - 05/27/03 10:51 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

First off that is not cheap for weed.Second who the hell r u talkin' to?It's news.Go talk 'bout it in the chill room.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Papaver [Re: em_bre_O]
    #1583306 - 05/28/03 01:32 AM (14 years, 5 days ago)

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: ]
    #1585261 - 05/28/03 04:16 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

That's cheap AS FUCK for weed-you must be buying some shake. We only deal in Purple Haze here-mostly. And Salvia is cheap as fuck-go search google or paypal shops for it-you can buy a fucking ounce for like 20 bucks-sometimes 16.
-Mr.Sleep

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: em_bre_O]
    #1585412 - 05/28/03 05:23 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

I was making comments. I'm allowed to. If you don't like it, don't read my posts but don't bitch about it.

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: Meph]
    #1586106 - 05/28/03 08:25 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

If you're talking to me-which I get this vibe that you are-I wasn't commenting on your posts-but aight. lol
-Mr.Sleep

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: MrSleep]
    #1586806 - 05/29/03 12:31 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

He was replying to embreo who was bieng a jackass.

--------------------

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sembryoticasshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: MrSleep]
    #1587098 - 05/29/03 02:09 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

I have just focused all of my bitchin' to........meph!

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Is It An Herb Or A Drug? [Re: motaman]
    #1592108 - 05/30/03 05:24 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

"It's coming here, there's no doubt in my mind. It's just a matter of time before it becomes a problem and it's gonna be up to our elected officials to realize that this is a problem and enact laws to control it"

How can they say control it. None of the acts against drugs by the government have ever helped to control drugs. It only makes the situation worse.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service