Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

[UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine'
    #15804224 - 02/13/12 05:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine'
February 13, 2012 - independent.co.uk

Experts challenge claims that legal high 'mexxy' does not have side-effects

A new legal high misleadingly marketed as a safe substitute for ketamine is becoming increasingly popular in the UK, experts have warned.

Methoxetamine, known as MXE or "mexxy", mimics the effects of the banned anaesthetic ketamine, and its use has grown over the last six months in Britain as well as northern Europe, say charity workers.

A survey of drug trends published in November showed that the use of both ketamine, which is a class C drug, and methoxetamine, its "legal doppelgänger", is on the rise in several areas of the UK.

As methoxetamine is not controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act in the UK, it can be purchased legally over the internet. Suppliers market the drug as "bladder-friendly", claiming it does not cause cramps or damage the bladder – side-effects associated with heavy ketamine use.

But experts say no evidence has been found to support such claims and that the drug carries the same risks as ketamine, which can include impaired mental health.

Harry Shapiro, the head of DrugScope, the charity which conducted the research, said the same effects and risks could be expected as with ketamine.

"It is marketed as the legal and safer alternative to ketamine but people wouldn't want to take it if it didn't have the same effects. Ketamine can have very serious effects." He added: "One can expect similar risks and similar effects with methoxetamine."

Methoxetamine can be purchased online for £17 a gram. Dealers working through websites and "head shops" exploit a legal loophole which means they can sell drugs like methoxetamine so long as they are marked "not for human consumption".

Vince, 24, has been experimenting with methoxetamine after using ketamine heavily for the last two years. When he started experiencing cramps as a result of his drug use and saw two of his friends fitted with urinary catheters as a result of bladder damage caused by ketamine, he began buying methoxetamine. He says the legal substitute is cheaper and stronger, and the effects last longer.

But experts have countered this view of its safety. Fiona Measham, a researcher with the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs said: "The new kid on the block seems to be methoxetamine. It is growing in popularity, not just in the UK but in northern Europe. It's so similar in chemical structure to ketamine there is no evidence to suggest that it doesn't carry the same risks, or that it is bladder-friendly.

A spokesperson for the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), which advises the Government on drug policy, said the ACMD is monitoring methoxetamine.

Case studies:

Neil, 33, lives in south London and uses methoxetamine socially. He used to take ketamine but now takes methoxetamine as he believes it is safer.

"I was introduced to it in Glastonbury over the summer, and since then I've done it about 15 times probably. We used it the other night and a friend did far too much and was a state. It has to be used in moderation.

"Ketamine is a bit of a dirty drug, it doesn't do your insides any good.

"[MXE is] very good; I recommend it to everyone. There's a group of us that all do it together. It's a very social drug. I've looked into it and there was one guy who did a ridiculous amount and was catatonic and rushed to hospital.

"It's a cheap drug, and at the moment people are strapped for cash. It'll be very popular. But because it's such a new drug not that many people know about it."

VINCE, 24, who lives in Bath, has been a heavy ketamine user for two years, but has started experimenting with methoxatemine.

"I much prefer ketamine but MXE has its upsides: it's more potent so works out a fair bit cheaper; it lasts around two to three times longer; it's easier to function on, and if you are getting it from somewhere reputable then its always going to be pure.

"I tried it because I love ketamine so wanted to try something like it not as something to replace it. Ketamine is becoming increasingly more expensive and worse quality but I would still choose K. It seems to be getting more well-known.

"I have experienced the harmful effects of ketamine. I lost one friend and have known two people with piss bags [urinary catheters] fitted due to bladder damage. I ended up in hospital once due to ketamine cramps."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLSDylan
bass music enjoyer
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: veggie]
    #15804293 - 02/13/12 05:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

But experts say no evidence has been found to support such claims and that the drug carries the same risks as ketamine, which can include impaired mental health.

But has there been any evidence to support your claims either? Oh wait I forgot all drugs are automatically bad.

--------------------
DanceSafe | Voluntaryism

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: LSDylan]
    #15804352 - 02/13/12 05:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This drug helped me quit smoking with one dose, sad to see the negativity drum beating already.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

InvisibleMeteloides
Clinically Expressed

Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15804389 - 02/13/12 06:02 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Wasn't there an interview with one of the chemists who originally synthed MXE where he stated that it didn't carry the same capacity for bladder damage as K, and that it had been designed with the user's safety in mind?

Either way, this is an opportunity for in-depth scientific research into MXE to assess its actual safety profile. Sadly, once again, science and reason will be steamrolled by reactionary and fearful prohibition.

:sad:

--------------------
:smoking:

OfflineSeriously_Spaced
Psychedelic Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: California,United States ... Flag
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: veggie]
    #15804448 - 02/13/12 06:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine'
February 13, 2012 - independent.co.uk

Experts challenge claims that legal high 'mexxy' does not have side-effects

A new legal high misleadingly marketed as a safe substitute for ketamine is becoming increasingly popular in the UK, experts have warned.

Methoxetamine, known as MXE or "mexxy", mimics the effects of the banned anaesthetic ketamine, and its use has grown over the last six months in Britain as well as northern Europe, say charity workers.

A survey of drug trends published in November showed that the use of both ketamine, which is a class C drug, and methoxetamine, its "legal doppelgänger", is on the rise in several areas of the UK.

As methoxetamine is not controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act in the UK, it can be purchased legally over the internet. Suppliers market the drug as "bladder-friendly", claiming it does not cause cramps or damage the bladder – side-effects associated with heavy ketamine use.

Harry Shapiro, the head of DrugScope, the charity which conducted the research, said the same effects and risks could be expected as with ketamine.

"It is marketed as the legal and safer alternative to ketamine but people wouldn't want to take it if it didn't have the same effects. Ketamine can have very serious effects." He added: "One can expect similar risks and similar effects with methoxetamine."

Methoxetamine can be purchased online for £17 a gram. Dealers working through websites and "head shops" exploit a legal loophole which means they can sell drugs like methoxetamine so long as they are marked "not for human consumption".

Vince, 24, has been experimenting with methoxetamine after using ketamine heavily for the last two years. When he started experiencing cramps as a result of his drug use and saw two of his friends fitted with urinary catheters as a result of bladder damage caused by ketamine, he began buying methoxetamine. He says the legal substitute is cheaper and stronger, and the effects last longer.

But experts have countered this view of its safety. Fiona Measham, a researcher with the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs said: "The new kid on the block seems to be methoxetamine. It is growing in popularity, not just in the UK but in northern Europe. It's so similar in chemical structure to ketamine there is no evidence to suggest that it doesn't carry the same risks, or that it is bladder-friendly.

A spokesperson for the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), which advises the Government on drug policy, said the ACMD is monitoring methoxetamine.

Case studies:

Neil, 33, lives in south London and uses methoxetamine socially. He used to take ketamine but now takes methoxetamine as he believes it is safer.

"I was introduced to it in Glastonbury over the summer, and since then I've done it about 15 times probably. We used it the other night and a friend did far too much and was a state. It has to be used in moderation.

"Ketamine is a bit of a dirty drug, it doesn't do your insides any good.

"[MXE is] very good; I recommend it to everyone. There's a group of us that all do it together. It's a very social drug. I've looked into it and there was one guy who did a ridiculous amount and was catatonic and rushed to hospital.

"It's a cheap drug, and at the moment people are strapped for cash. It'll be very popular. But because it's such a new drug not that many people know about it."

VINCE, 24, who lives in Bath, has been a heavy ketamine user for two years, but has started experimenting with methoxatemine.

"I much prefer ketamine but MXE has its upsides: it's more potent so works out a fair bit cheaper; it lasts around two to three times longer; it's easier to function on, and if you are getting it from somewhere reputable then its always going to be pure.

"I tried it because I love ketamine so wanted to try something like it not as something to replace it. Ketamine is becoming increasingly more expensive and worse quality but I would still choose K. It seems to be getting more well-known.

"I have experienced the harmful effects of ketamine. I lost one friend and have known two people with piss bags [urinary catheters] fitted due to bladder damage. I ended up in hospital once due to ketamine cramps."

Who the fuck ever said MXE is "SAFE"

--------------------
All you need is love:heart:

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?-John Lennon

I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people.
-John Lennon

Life is like a dang old rubix cube you get one side right you mess up the other-Boomhauer
To do list-Ketamine:specialk:, Mushrooms:heart:,LSD:awecid::,Salvia:rocket:,DMT,DXM:crazy2:,Cocaine:rail2:,2c-e:pipesmoke:,Molly:rave:,E:heart:,MXE, 4-Aco-DMT, 25inbome:heart:,6-APB and    5-meo-dalt

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: Seriously_Spaced]
    #15804510 - 02/13/12 06:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

A lot of sources claim it is safe compared with ketamine because of reduced damage to the bladder

OfflineSeriously_Spaced
Psychedelic Lover
Male User Gallery

Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: morrowasted]
    #15804519 - 02/13/12 06:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
A lot of sources claim it is safe compared with ketamine because of reduced damage to the bladder

Those sources need to stop saying its safe then because now it going to be even more demonized.They should make it clear its not safe because theres a reduced chance of bladder problems

--------------------

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?-John Lennon

I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people.
-John Lennon

Life is like a dang old rubix cube you get one side right you mess up the other-Boomhauer
To do list-Ketamine:specialk:, Mushrooms:heart:,LSD:awecid::,Salvia:rocket:,DMT,DXM:crazy2:,Cocaine:rail2:,2c-e:pipesmoke:,Molly:rave:,E:heart:,MXE, 4-Aco-DMT, 25inbome:heart:,6-APB and    5-meo-dalt

Edited by Seriously_Spaced (02/13/12 06:23 PM)

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: LSDylan]
    #15804621 - 02/13/12 06:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LSDylan said:
Quote:

But has there been any evidence to support your claims either? Oh wait I forgot all drugs are automatically bad.

I was thinking the same thing.  They quote scientists and then state opinion (highly shaped by politcal issues) as fact.  The reality is, there is little or no research.  And this is what is bad about The War on People Who Use Drugs....chemicals are banned on emotion, not scientific fact.

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

Offlinevinnymontana21
new wool socks
Male User Gallery

Loc: the gaza strip, metro
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15804656 - 02/13/12 06:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

love2shpongleIRL said:
This drug helped me quit smoking with one dose, sad to see the negativity drum beating already.

i had the same thing man i didnt even need to smoke weed much. but cigarettes it helped me a ton. its an entertaining drug thats for sure. something to injest every hour or two. no come down really. im glad the word is getting out about it. this article is a positive advertisment of it really.

--------------------
some things have to be believed to be seen.

catch our vapors

InvisibleBlindtheeye
All Seeing Nothing

Loc: TX Flag
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: vinnymontana21]
    #15804722 - 02/13/12 06:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's the beginning of the end when articles like this are published.

--------------------
A great truth cannot be communicated, it must be realized.

OfflineSeriously_Spaced
Psychedelic Lover
Male User Gallery

Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: Blindtheeye]
    #15805091 - 02/13/12 07:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Blindtheeye said:

Thats what i was thinking

--------------------

-John Lennon

Offlineevildee125
Here now
Male User Gallery

Loc: fl
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: Blindtheeye]
    #15805286 - 02/13/12 08:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Blindtheeye said:

we've all known the day was coming sooner or later

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banlist.php http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banomatic.php

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/vetstatus.php

Kaleidoscope said:
If you build an idiot-proof device, someone will build a better idiot.

OfflineSeriously_Spaced
Psychedelic Lover
Male User Gallery

Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: evildee125]
    #15805324 - 02/13/12 08:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

evildee125 said:
Quote:

Blindtheeye said:

we've all known the day was coming sooner or later

Still sucks i havent tried it yet and dont have a reliabe vendor:sad: oh well might be to strong fo my taste anyway

--------------------

-John Lennon

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: [UK] Health alert over drug sold as 'safe ketamine' [Re: Seriously_Spaced]
    #15805484 - 02/13/12 08:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's all anecdotal.  In three years we'll finally have a good handful or two of case studies from the people that are snorting grams of the shit every week, or day, as I type this. :lol:

They could've had a better high using Ketamine and staying hydrated.  I felt k-pains once, and yes it sucked, but I was a moron and allowed myself to stay dehydrated while also not eating.  Sure, it sucks stumbling to the toilet on ketamine since it fucks you up exponentially more than MXE can ever dream to, but I never felt k-pains again... even after a couple 5-6g binges in 36 hours(all IM/IV admin so nothing was wasted in my nose).  Glad those days are behind me.  :flowstone:

Honestly though, I wouldn't give a fuck about bladder damage and MXE.  The people suffering that type of shit from K abuse have REALLY abused it for a REALLY long time.  Recreational use doesn't destroy your bladder... For all we know MXE may very well cause the Olney's lesions or something worse, then again it may cause nothing.  It's a risk.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck