Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!!
    #15800421 - 02/12/12 10:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok.....its a known fact 80% of the shroomery owns a guitar, but do you know how to play it. No I dont mean do you know a couple songs and maybe a scale or two...I mean do you really understand the instrument and what your doing?

SOOOOOOOoooO many guitarists ive talked to know nothing about theory, or elementary knowledge concerning western music (circle of fiths, etc.) They just say...."I play by hear"

But how do you know Chords? DO You know chords? Do you know how they are constructed, what makes a minor chord a minor chord? DO you know what Chord compliments another?

So in other words if you own a nice guitar, How the hell are you playing it if you dont know anything about the guitar or music for that matter :strokebeard: Anyone fluent in music theory and actually know their way around the fretboard? :jamming:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (02/12/12 10:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline0rusnjos
To Phenethylamine and Beyond
Loc: Apart of Joe's Ego
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Almond Flour]
    #15800434 - 02/12/12 10:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yo

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.
                                                                  1. to be a sensible man, embodied by a fool, and presently at peace

InvisibleGotlib
Male

Loc: Flag
    #15800438 - 02/12/12 10:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I own 3 guitars and 2 bass guitars and I cant play any of them like you say !!!

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Gotlib]
    #15800447 - 02/12/12 10:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Did you guys even read the thread? Or Simply post because you play the guitar :strokebeard2: Kinda answers my question I guess :lol:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Offline0rusnjos
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Gotlib]
    #15800455 - 02/12/12 10:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What is the point of this thread?  Test my knowledge of theory, I dare you.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: 0rusnjos]
    #15800475 - 02/12/12 10:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
What is the point of this thread?  Test my knowledge of theory, I dare you.

Your in the Key of F#minor. complete the given  melodic line one octave above the bass note of F#. Complete the first two 4/4 measures using proper voice leading in 3rd species counterpoint giving an example of a double neighboring tone in measure two :goodmorning:

--------------------

Edited by Almond Flour (02/12/12 10:19 PM)

Offlineunderfliptown
I suck and you should kill me

#15800482 - 02/12/12 10:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Theory is important, but i never learned it. I just learn chords and then move them around the neck until they sound good. Then i get really really high and experiment with which combinations sound good. Then i usually try one of the few scales i know with it to see if it sounds good. If it does I have a good jam, if it doesn't then its no good. I like it better this way cause it makes it sound more unique and less stock.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: underfliptown]
    #15800524 - 02/12/12 10:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
Theory is important, but i never learned it. I just learn chords and then move them around the neck until they sound good. Then i get really really high and experiment with which combinations sound good. Then i usually try one of the few scales i know with it to see if it sounds good. If it does I have a good jam, if it doesn't then its no good. I like it better this way cause it makes it sound more unique and less stock.

See and thats the thing lazy musicians say when they dont wanna put in the work to study theory (if you can even call them musicians) :bored:

I DONT LIKE TO BE CONSTRAINED MAN! Think of it this way my boy. Smoking weed is great, but it is against "The rules". The set of guidelines set fourth from our previous forefathers. Once you realize that smoking weed is illegal.....you can smoke almost ANY place you want, because you know where its safe. You can smoke in an ally, in your house, in a forest, in your car....the possibilities are endless even with the rules that govern it.

But imagine the guy who just smokes weed anywhere and everywhere! YOu know the guy! Hes that asshat smoking in crowded public areas, hits the sneak a toke in front of a police stations, etc.

My point is just because there are some musical rules (if you can call them that) in no way is it meant to restrict you. Its to teach you proper ways to break them so you can enjoy music to the fullest. Hope that was a good way to convey my point :strokebeard:

--------------------

InvisibleCrossingTheStar
Unoriginal Philosopher
Male

Loc: U.S. of A. Flag
    #15800538 - 02/12/12 10:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:justno:

--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800551 - 02/12/12 10:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It's really boring though and sucks the fun right outta it. The type of music i wanna make doesnt really have to be too theory heavy. I play drums too. I play every instrument i need to be able to record the kind of music i want to make. So why should I learn theory, i don't wanna be yngwie malmsteen. Fuck all that shit.

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
    #15800568 - 02/12/12 10:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I play the guitar, saxaphone, and drums.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800570 - 02/12/12 10:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not gonna fucking work through all that.    F# A C# E |  G# B D F#  happy?

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800580 - 02/12/12 10:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
It's really boring though and sucks the fun right outta it. The type of music i wanna make doesnt really have to be too theory heavy. I play drums too. I play every instrument i need to be able to record the kind of music i want to make. So why should I learn theory, i don't wanna be yngwie malmsteen. Fuck all that shit.

You wouldn't be saying these things if you actually understood what you were doing.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800582 - 02/12/12 10:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:

Somebody doesnt know their theory... lol!

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800584 - 02/12/12 10:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:

You spell a couple of 7th chords and expect me to be satisfied!? Can you at least tell me what TYPE of 7th chords those are?

--------------------

Edited by Almond Flour (02/12/12 10:33 PM)

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800590 - 02/12/12 10:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:

You wouldn't be saying these things if you actually understood what you were doing.

Probably not. But I don't so i am. Besides I really like my music. It makes me smile. Why should I learn theory when I have already reached a level where I can start recording music. I've been at it for like 6 years, im not bad. Hendrix didn't know any theory, he musta sucked eh.

InvisibleLySergic D
Drink all day and rock all night
Male User Gallery

#15800592 - 02/12/12 10:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I am completely self taught and have been playing for 8 years. I do not know theory or anything like that. I play by ear and also jam.

--------------------

Broken heart don't feel so bad
You ain't got half of what you thought you had
Rock you baby to and fro
Not too fast and not too slow

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800600 - 02/12/12 10:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:

Ok but RIGHT THERE! Thats the point of this thread. How are you doing it? I understand for an instrument like the drums.....but the guitar? How can you fucking pick up an instrument with so many notes on it (capable of harmony mind you) and have ANY idea how to make it sound decent? It boggles my mind to think of someone just picking up a guitar and making it sound good :confused: At best you might be able to create a half ass melody or something, but how would you know how to construct an actual Chord, and not just a bunch of pitch clusters thrown together?

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800601 - 02/12/12 10:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:

See and thats the thing lazy musicians say when they dont wanna put in the work to study theory (if you can even call them musicians) :bored:

I DONT LIKE TO BE CONSTRAINED MAN! Think of it this way my boy. Smoking weed is great, but it is against "The rules". The set of guidelines set fourth from our previous forefathers. Once you realize that smoking weed is illegal.....you can smoke almost ANY place you want, because you know where its safe. You can smoke in an ally, in your house, in a forest, in your car....the possibilities are endless even with the rules that govern it.

But imagine the guy who just smokes weed anywhere and everywhere! YOu know the guy! Hes that asshat smoking in crowded public areas, hits the sneak a toke in front of a police stations, etc.

My point is just because there are some musical rules (if you can call them that) in no way is it meant to restrict you. Its to teach you proper ways to break them so you can enjoy music to the fullest. Hope that was a good way to convey my point :strokebeard:

Stop being a pompous ass.  Just because we understand how music works doesn't make us better than everyone else.  Yes most people would find theory very intriguing and helpful but, some people aren't interested in it and just wanna have fun. 

Don't make a thread touting your knowledge of the vibrations, mocking ever fool who walks in here saying, "but I can do a C5!".

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800606 - 02/12/12 10:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't construct chords, i learn them from learning songs and then i just move the shapes around. The basic theory of all that stuff doesn't allude me.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800610 - 02/12/12 10:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:

Stop being a pompous ass.  Just because we understand how music works doesn't make us better than everyone else.  Yes most people would find theory very intriguing and helpful but, some people aren't interested in it and just wanna have fun. 

Don't make a thread touting your knowledge of the vibrations, mocking ever fool who walks in here saying, "but I can do a C5!".

:rofl2: My point is not to whip out my musical penis to show its bigger because trust me (im sure some of the people who REALLY know theory and have studied at a higher level would laugh at my amount of knowledge on it)

My point is how does a guitarist play music if he doesnt know a little bit of theory? How are you able to make the guitar fun and exciting with lots of variety if you only know three chords and the minor pentatonic scale :shrug:

--------------------

Offlineunderfliptown

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Almond Flour] * 1
    #15800618 - 02/12/12 10:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

haha dude the minor pentatonic scale is the best scale EVER!!!

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800619 - 02/12/12 10:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
I don't construct chords, i learn them from learning songs and then i just move the shapes around. The basic theory of all that stuff doesn't allude me.

It doesnt allude to allot of people, hence why so little guitarists know theory. My question is how are they playing their instrument if they dont know how to pull the trigger so to speak?

--------------------

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800632 - 02/12/12 10:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Repetition and instinct. Jamming man. Thats where a lot of my knowledge comes from. Ill look at what another guitarist is playing, copy it, tweak it, and then i kinda know another nugget. This for 6 years adds up.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800639 - 02/12/12 10:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

You spell a couple of 7th chords and expect me to be satisfied!? Can you at least tell me what TYPE of 7th chords those are?

Yeah, minor.  I wasn't trying to spell out sevenths, I was gonna make a chart to represent the measures I was gonna make to answer your question, then got frustrated.

Quote:

underfliptown said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:

Probably not. But I don't so i am. Besides I really like my music. It makes me smile. Why should I learn theory when I have already reached a level where I can start recording music. I've been at it for like 6 years, im not bad. Hendrix didn't know any theory, he musta sucked eh.

Hendrix did suck.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800643 - 02/12/12 10:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
haha dude the minor pentatonic scale is the best scale EVER!!!

YOU SHUT YOUR GOD DAMN MOUTH RIGHT NOW!

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800645 - 02/12/12 10:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

lol if you think hendrix sucked then you just lost any credibility and respect as a musician. Unless you explain why in a clever way.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15800658 - 02/12/12 10:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

1) Tell me how to correctly tune a guitar so it is even-tempered.
2) Does the guitar sound as it is written?  Why or why not?
3) What is the relationship between f-minor and A-Flat major,
4) whats the next three notes in the series...D-flat, F, A-Flat.. ?..?...?  What intervals are this simple sequence in?  What chord do the three consequent notes form?
5)  Etc, Etc, 

I studied harmony and counterpoint, dont remember which text

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

Offlineunderfliptown

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: starfire_xes]
    #15800663 - 02/12/12 10:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Holy shit, counterpoint!

Badass man!

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800671 - 02/12/12 10:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:

:rofl2: My point is not to whip out my musical penis to show its bigger because trust me (im sure some of the people who REALLY know theory and have studied at a higher level would laugh at my amount of knowledge on it)

My point is how does a guitarist play music if he doesnt know a little bit of theory? How are you able to make the guitar fun and exciting with lots of variety if you only know three chords and the minor pentatonic scale :shrug:

I've wondered that as well.  You're not really playing music if you don't apply theory.  It's more like playing with a toy if you don't understand what you're doing.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800679 - 02/12/12 10:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15707411/page/7

Theres my style. Ignore the second song, its just a jam i did with my friends.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15800697 - 02/12/12 10:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You have to know the rules before you know how to break them...Theory is a must to learn at first.  After it is learned you use it without consciosly thinking about it....makes it a lot easier to ear-learn songs too (though I prefer sheet music)

--------------------
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#15800702 - 02/12/12 10:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My favorite scale is the D harmonic minor.

I know a bit of theory.  I did 4 years of guitar in highschool, and my senior year I took guitar all four periods of the day.  We weren't really obligated to learn anything really, it was just a guaranteed A for showing up, but I did work a fair bit on theory.  It is very interesting, and I enjoyed learning it, but I've been a few years out of practice.  I really wish I knew more.

--------------------
Put America to sleep with warm milk and clichés.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800707 - 02/12/12 10:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, well where do you learn theory then. I cant jam and learn theory.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800710 - 02/12/12 10:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The first two aren't about theory.
3)relative minor
4)D flat, F, A flat, 3rds, D flat.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800718 - 02/12/12 10:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
Yeah, well where do you learn theory then. I cant jam and learn theory.

Musictheory.net

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800722 - 02/12/12 10:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

fucking boooooooooooooring. Plus its kinda hard too.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800728 - 02/12/12 10:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That's what prevents music from growing, and has made it the simplistic and boring thing it is today.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800739 - 02/12/12 10:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
That's what prevents music from growing, and has made it the simplistic and boring thing it is today.

Electro's pretty happening. And indie rock is thriving. Those are the ONLY 2 kinds of music i listen to anyways.

Offline0rusnjos
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: BothHands]
    #15800740 - 02/12/12 10:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BothHands said:

I know a bit of theory.  I did 4 years of guitar in highschool, and my senior year I took guitar all four periods of the day.  We weren't really obligated to learn anything really, it was just a guaranteed A for showing up, but I did work a fair bit on theory.  It is very interesting, and I enjoyed learning it, but I've been a few years out of practice.  I really wish I knew more.

What do you mean "favorite scale"?  They are all unique and beautiful, how could you limit yourself to just one?  I'm almost tempted to give you five shrooms for the the raised seventh.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800744 - 02/12/12 10:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
4) whats the next three notes in the series...D-flat, F, A-Flat.. ?..?...?  What intervals are this simple sequence in?  What chord do the three consequent notes form?
5)  Etc, Etc, 

1)5th fret E open A, 5th fret A open D, 5th fret D, open G, 4th fret G, open B. 5th fret B Open E ........right?Not sure what you mean even tempred
2) sound as written? What?
3) F minor is A flats realative minor (not to be confused with parallel)
4) C, Eb, Gb if we are still in the key of Db major, The sequence is in intervals of 3, and the Chord is a Diminished C triad :shrug:

howd I do?

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800751 - 02/12/12 11:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

Electro's pretty happening. And indie rock is thriving. Those are the ONLY 2 kinds of music i listen to anyways.

I meant growing by expanding, new scales, new ways to put notes together, different progressions and complex harmonies.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: BothHands]
    #15800759 - 02/12/12 11:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BothHands said:

Are you from the middle east? :smirk:

--------------------

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800770 - 02/12/12 11:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

I meant growing by expanding, new scales, new ways to put notes together, different progressions and complex harmonies.

We've already peaked man. Now its just regression. I would say we peaked with Lizst. Depends on your style though. Unless there are kings again who are willing to pay for a 3 year old to become a virtuoso i don't think we will ever get the greats again without a miracle. AND DONT BRING UP ANY ASIANS! fuck I hate those annoying little asian kids who play 2 guitars at once...

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800774 - 02/12/12 11:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

We've already peaked man. Now its just regression. I would say we peaked with Lizst. Depends on your style though. Unless there are kings again who are willing to pay for a 3 year old to become a virtuoso i don't think we will ever get the greats again without a miracle. AND DONT BRING UP ANY ASIANS! fuck I hate those annoying little asian kids who play 2 guitars at once...

:rofl2:

--------------------

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15800780 - 02/12/12 11:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
3)relative minor

the first two are absolutely theory related

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800789 - 02/12/12 11:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, fuck people with talent and understand what they are doing.  Dude you play 3  to  5  to 9, yeah man, that would sound totally awesome.
                                                                                                                                                      5      7    11 

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800793 - 02/12/12 11:08 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
3)relative minor

the first two are absolutely theory related

DID I ANSWER CORRECTLY!

--------------------

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800798 - 02/12/12 11:08 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Yeah, fuck people with talent and understand what they are doing.  Dude you play 3  to  5  to 9, yeah man, that would sound totally awesome.
                                                                                5      7    11

huh?

Whats all those numbers homie. Sorry i hit a nerve, you must be one haha.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800807 - 02/12/12 11:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't understand your second question.  1)5th fret E open A, 5th fret A open D, 5th fret D, open G, 4th fret G, open B. 5th fret B Open E

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800820 - 02/12/12 11:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This thread turned lame...

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800831 - 02/12/12 11:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This thread was lame before it began.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15800845 - 02/12/12 11:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No.  The chord is C-minor.  The question is ambiguous.  The first three notes are dflat but the three thirds ar c minor.  I'm thinking in A flat major as the key.  if the key was D flat major, the chord would be c minor flat fifth.  you could have chosen any key containing those three notes, then determined the chord that the following thirds formed.

--------------------

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800846 - 02/12/12 11:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
This thread was lame before it began.

it made it to three pages :shrug: Im impressed :strokebeard:

--------------------

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800852 - 02/12/12 11:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
No.  The chord is C-minor.  The question is ambiguous.  The first three notes are dflat but the three thirds ar c minor.  I'm thinking in A flat major as the key.  if the key was D flat major, the chord would be c minor flat fifth.  you could have chosen any key containing those three notes, then determined the chord that the following thirds formed.

You never told me it was in Ab Maj :bored: You gave me a triad and used flats diatonic to the key of Db maj.....so i assumed I was in Db maj

Thus im right and you fail at teaching :leafromp:

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800869 - 02/12/12 11:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I assumed it was in D flat as well, there really was no reason to assume otherwise.  Both answers were correct, Ethobotanical's answer was more elegant than mine.

You really gotta word the question better if you wanted an answer like that.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

Loc: slow death
    #15800873 - 02/12/12 11:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

OP thinks he's yngwie malmsteen and according to his logic hendrix didn't know shit about guitar

:shoosh:

--------------------

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Pigasus]
    #15800876 - 02/12/12 11:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:
OP thinks he's yngwie malmsteen and according to his logic hendrix didn't know shit about guitar

Op doesnt even know who Malmsteen is :lol:

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800883 - 02/12/12 11:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hendrix TECHNICALLY didn't know anything about playing guitar except where E minor pentatonic was and he didn't even really understand that.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800891 - 02/12/12 11:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Hendrix TECHNICALLY didn't know anything about playing guitar except where E minor pentatonic was and he didn't even really understand that.

Dude if you really think hendrix sucked then your a fucking idiot. He was a master artist, not some technical machine man. Think of his studio accomplishments too. Hes the king! Better than beethoven.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#15800899 - 02/12/12 11:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

Dude if you really think hendrix sucked then your a fucking idiot. He was a master artist, not some technical machine man. Think of his studio accomplishments too. Hes the king! Better than beethoven.

HOW DARE YOU! Beethoven, bach, mozart, etc. are pretty much gods are the music department at my college :lol:

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800906 - 02/12/12 11:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't even know what to say to that.  I agree that there is a difference between being an "artist" and being a "musician/instrumentalist".  That difference being a "musician" creates music.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

InvisibleMafeki
Umadbro

Loc: Jamaica
    #15800913 - 02/12/12 11:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I doubt Music theory is even rudimentary I mean Jimi Didn't know it, what does that tell you?

--------------------

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15800916 - 02/12/12 11:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:
5)  Etc, Etc, 

1)5th fret E open A, 5th fret A open D, 5th fret D, open G, 4th fret G, open B. 5th fret B Open E ........right?Not sure what you mean even tempred
2) sound as written? What?
3) F minor is A flats realative minor (not to be confused with parallel)
4) C, Eb, Gb if we are still in the key of Db major, The sequence is in intervals of 3, and the Chord is a Diminished C triad :shrug:

howd I do?

Your 3 and four are correct.  4, you can choose any key the three notes fit, and then determine the chord.  In Ab major, it would be c minor.  many answers for this.

Even tempered tuning is how pianos are tuned.  because F sharp and G flat are the same notes on a piano or guitar (as opposed to say, a fretless bass) You need to tune the guitar differently.  To achieve equal tempered tuning on a guitar--so it is tuned like a piano is tuned--first find a true E source tone, and tune the 6th string to that E.  Then tune the 4th string, 2nd fret, to be exactly one octave above the sixth string. Tune the 1st string 2 exact octaves above the sixth string. Then, play the harmonic at the twelfth fret of the D string, and tune the 2nd string, third fret, to that d harmonic, and tune the 3rd string 7th fret also to that D harmonic.  (Depress the strings to tune them, don't tune their harmonics) Then, tune the a string to sound exactly like the sixth string fifth threat.  Check the 3rd fret C on the A string to see if it is exactly an octave below the 2nd string first fret C.  Then the guitar is even-tempered. 

The standard method does not give even-tempered tuning.  Its close enough for most stuff. 

As far as how guitar is written, it is a transposing instrument.  The guitar actually sounds one octave lower than the written music on paper.  This is done so that most notes of the guitar fall within the range of the treble clef.  See wiki Even-tempered tuning and transposing instruments to clarify.

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #15800917 - 02/12/12 11:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:

That didn't stop him.  He was one GROOVY motherfucker.

Offline0rusnjos
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Mafeki]
    #15800920 - 02/12/12 11:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I wanna see Jimi write a symphony or a concerto.  Let's see how well put together that piece of music would be.:lol:

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

#15800924 - 02/12/12 11:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:

Quote:

0rusnjos said:

right but he's (formerly) living proof that you don't have to know shit ABOUT playing guitar to play it fucking masterfully.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15800928 - 02/12/12 11:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

That didn't stop him.  He was one GROOVY motherfucker.

He would have been way more "groovy" had he understood theory and applied it.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#15800938 - 02/12/12 11:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a man who knows his theory.

Kurt Rosenwinkel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zciLtHVvRtk#!

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800951 - 02/12/12 11:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:

Quote:

0rusnjos said:

right but he's (formerly) living proof that you don't have to know shit ABOUT playing guitar to play it fucking masterfully.

I will vomit right here, right now, if you are actually claiming that Hendrix was a master at playing guitar.  Mind you playing "masterfully" would mean you play exceptionally accurately, well structured, voice leading on the fly, sweeping, flamenco, all incredibly well and without error.  I've always heard old as guitarist talk about how Hendrix, "he'd hit a wrong note, and just bend it until he found the right one".  Heard that one a thousand times. 

That is incredibly sloppy playing.  No master in anyway.

Why not check out, Jeff Loomis, Jason Richardson, or  Christopher Bradley.  They are masters.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: 0rusnjos] * 2
    #15800965 - 02/12/12 11:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Why not check out, Jeff Loomis

you lost me as soon as you told me the guy from fucking Nevermore is better than Hendrix.

I don't care how technically accomplished you are, the point of music is to impart feeling in the listener, not impress me with your masturbatory wankery and precision. don't get me wrong, I love classical music and plenty of "technically proficient" musicians, but don't tell me nevermore > hendrix.

--------------------

Edited by Pigasus (02/12/12 11:41 PM)

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800968 - 02/12/12 11:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

pfft
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
I wanna see Jimi write a symphony or a concerto.  Let's see how well put together that piece of music would be.:lol:

Thats pretty close.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#15800970 - 02/12/12 11:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
pfft
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

Thats pretty close.

I love this track.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15800990 - 02/12/12 11:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

I don't care how technically accomplished you are, the point of music is to impart feeling in the listener, not impress me with your masturbatory wankery and precision.

THAT is pretty correct.  or to put it simpler, 'No tears in the player, no tears in the listener'  its all about FEEL.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800991 - 02/12/12 11:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

you lost me as soon as you told me the guy from fucking Nevermore is better than Hendrix.

I don't care how technically accomplished you are, the point of music is to impart feeling in the listener, not impress me with your masturbatory wankery and precision. don't get me wrong, I love classical music and plenty of "technically proficient" musicians, but don't tell me nevermore > hendrix.

Nevermore sucks, Jeff Loomis is an incredibly versed player.

the point of music is to impart feeling in the listener
The point of music is to get high off the vibrations, the listener has nothing in anyway to do with music.  Music is for me, not for anyone else, shit gets me higher than any drug.  I get really fucking stoned off the vibrations when I make them ring out particularly well.  We players who play technically accurate are not trying to impress YOU.  We are trying to impress ourselves, so we can get high. 

Oh yeah, I am miles and miles better than Hendrix in every aspect of playing and I say that with deep confidence.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#15800993 - 02/12/12 11:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

I don't care how technically accomplished you are, the point of music is to impart feeling in the listener, not impress me with your masturbatory wankery and precision.

THAT is pretty correct.  or to put it simpler, 'No tears in the player, no tears in the listener'  its all about FEEL.

I could not agree more with this statement.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15800997 - 02/12/12 11:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Oh yeah, I am miles and miles better than Hendrix in every aspect of playing and I say that with deep confidence.

Obvious troll is obvious. If you truly believe this than you missed one very important aspect of musicianship: humility and acceptance others accomplishments.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

#15800998 - 02/12/12 11:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

even if you're the one making the sounds, you are one of the listeners dude.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15800999 - 02/12/12 11:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

Anyone who claims "feel" is more important than technique and application of music theory, doesn't understand what they are talking about.  Once you understand how to play technically and apply theory on the fly, you can develop your musical soul and identity.  You'll then actually understand why you hit that note flat rather than on key.  You gotta crawl before you can walk and you gotta walk before you can strut, man.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15801005 - 02/12/12 11:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

^^ Very convincing. But if you think you're better than hendrix then you don't know shit. I would like to hear some of your stuff.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801010 - 02/12/12 11:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:

What is your point?  That's just banter and added nothing to what we were talking about.

I find it really difficult to see all these people who I know don't understand anything about music trying to tell me what it is and what is important.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801016 - 02/12/12 11:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
^^ Very convincing. But if you think you're better than hendrix then you don't know shit. I would like to hear some of your stuff.

I could post some sheet music, but you wouldn't be able to read it.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

#15801021 - 02/12/12 11:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

Anyone who claims "feel" is more important than technique and application of music theory, doesn't understand what they are talking about.  Once you understand how to play technically and apply theory on the fly, you can develop your musical soul and identity.  You'll then actually understand why you hit that note flat rather than on key.  You gotta crawl before you can walk and you gotta walk before you can strut, man.

you sound pretentious as hell. I can appreciate beethoven and brahms, and i can appreciate hendrix and all sorts of fucking sloppy noise. but to tell me that one is superior to the other on completely objective terms is bullshit as far as i'm concerned.

--------------------

Offlineunderfliptown

#15801023 - 02/12/12 11:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

underfliptown said:

I could post some sheet music, but you wouldn't be able to read it.

uhh actually I can read sheet music asshole, just not very fast. What's wrong, don't have any recordings? Interesting....

Offlinedemonofchaos
 User Gallery

#15801024 - 02/12/12 11:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

music theory sucks i use to know it but i forgot alllllll of it. even when i understood the theory i still wasnt good at playing the instrument. btw theory is alot easier on piano than it is on guitar.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

#15801028 - 02/12/12 11:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:

What is your point?  That's just banter and added nothing to what we were talking about.

I find it really difficult to see all these people who I know don't understand anything about music trying to tell me what it is and what is important.

you just told me the listener has nothing to do with the music. I'm pointing out that even if you are the one creating the music, you are one of the listeners. how is that not relevant?

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: demonofchaos]
    #15801029 - 02/12/12 11:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

demonofchaos said:
music theory sucks i use to know it but i forgot alllllll of it. even when i understood the theory i still wasnt good at playing the instrument. btw theory is alot easier on piano than it is on guitar.

Theory is the same for both.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

#15801031 - 02/12/12 11:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by underfliptown (02/12/12 11:57 PM)

Offlinedemonofchaos
 User Gallery

#15801037 - 02/12/12 11:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

demonofchaos said:

Theory is the same for both.

nah duh... but its easier to see on the piano

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15801050 - 02/13/12 12:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

I never said I didn't think theory wasn't important. I spent YEARS studying theory, and doing technical exercises, and learning everything I could.  Then I learned, no matter how well technically, the music goes nowhere without emotion and feel. Now i think expression and rhythm and feel are more important to me.  And dynamic control of the guitar.  That's why I prefer a simple acoustic to an electric--its a way more dynamic instrument, and you have to know how to coax the feeling out of it with--theory and technique, and good emotion and a soul for music.  Now instead of exercises, I learn and practice tunes.  But i spent hours a day for years, running scales, reading books, practicing with a metronome, learning theory, learning chords finding substitutions and understanding the why.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801058 - 02/13/12 12:01 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:

you just told me the listener has nothing to do with the music. I'm pointing out that even if you are the one creating the music, you are one of the listeners. how is that not relevant?

Oh course I'm hearing the music.  I meant the musician is not creating the music for the listener, they are creating it for themselves.  You suggested the listener was the main focus when writing music, while yes I am listening to the music I'm not the audience.  You suggested the audience was the main focus.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

#15801069 - 02/13/12 12:04 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:

Oh course I'm hearing the music.  I meant the musician is not creating the music for the listener, they are creating it for themselves.  You suggested the listener was the main focus when writing music, while yes I am listening to the music I'm not the audience.  You suggested the audience was the main focus.

if you're creating the music for yourself, YOU ARE THE AUDIENCE.

--------------------

Offlinedemonofchaos
 User Gallery

#15801073 - 02/13/12 12:05 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:

I never said I didn't think theory wasn't important. I spent YEARS studying theory, and doing technical exercises, and learning everything I could.  Then I learned, no matter how well technically, the music goes nowhere without emotion and feel. Now i think expression and rhythm and feel are more important to me.  And dynamic control of the guitar.  That's why I prefer a simple acoustic to an electric--its a way more dynamic instrument, and you have to know how to coax the feeling out of it with--theory and technique, and good emotion and a soul for music.  Now instead of exercises, I learn and practice tunes.  But i spent hours a day for years, running scales, reading books, practicing with a metronome, learning theory, learning chords finding substitutions and understanding the why.

ya theory isnt really needed by most players. they dont care why something sounds better with a flat rather than a sharp they just care that it does. its mostly just good for learning your scales and chords once u have them done

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801085 - 02/13/12 12:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:

You sir, can strut with us then.  I didn't mean to seem as though I was dissing you chops, that was really directed at pwnasaraus, I've just been replying to these posts to quickly and angerly that you merely got caught in the crossfire.  Don't worry, I respect YOUR chops.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801103 - 02/13/12 12:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:

Right, and playing technically accurate is what the audience wants.  WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15801104 - 02/13/12 12:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Here....lets just have a MASTER LESSON in Harmonic movement, counterpoint, melody, rhythm, and FEEL....every player here is a virtuoso...

--------------------

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

#15801110 - 02/13/12 12:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:

Right, and playing technically accurate is what the audience wants.  WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

my point is that it's fine if your audience gets off on technical precision but people other than yourself care more about emotion and feeling than how cleanly you can pull off that arpeggio.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: demonofchaos]
    #15801117 - 02/13/12 12:16 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

demonofchaos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:

ya theory isnt really needed by most players. they dont care why something sounds better with a flat rather than a sharp they just care that it does. its mostly just good for learning your scales and chords once u have them done

I'm sorry, but I really need to ventilate here, your comment really upset me. 

YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED!  STOP TALKING ABOUT THEORY, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A GRIP ON IT, you wouldn't be saying these things if you did.  PLEASE, SHUT THE FUCK UP BEFORE I LOSE MY COMPOSURE!

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: 0rusnjos] * 1
    #15801126 - 02/13/12 12:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:

You sir, can strut with us then.  I didn't mean to seem as though I was dissing you chops, that was really directed at pwnasaraus, I've just been replying to these posts to quickly and angerly that you merely got caught in the crossfire.  Don't worry, I respect YOUR chops.

You're a fucking pompous ass dude.  First of all, you just assume that I don't know theory.  I can't apply it quickly (like while playing fast), but I understand a fair fucking deal about theory.

I played in trombone in a national jazz band for 4 years, played for 7, did a ton scales, learned modes, some stuff about chord progressions, I can knock out any chord you name.

Christ man.  What it comes down too is I listen to music for the way it makes me feel.  From blues, to jazz, to house music, I just want to be moved by the music, and I can appreciate different aspects of all different kinds of music depending on the mood I'm in.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801132 - 02/13/12 12:21 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pigasus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

Pigasus said:

my point is that it's fine if your audience gets off on technical precision but people other than yourself care more about emotion and feeling than how cleanly you can pull off that arpeggio.

By playing technically well you can evoke and capture "feeling and emotion" much better than someone who plays sloppy and is just guessing what note to play next.  If you got a sweet grove going and hit a sour note you've just fucked the emotion you were trying to convey.  A versed player would not make that mistake, he'd apply modulation and truly get deep into the "feelings" of a scale and expand from there.

Your argument is invalid.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineunderfliptown

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: 0rusnjos] * 1
    #15801137 - 02/13/12 12:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

demonofchaos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:

YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED!  STOP TALKING ABOUT THEORY, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A GRIP ON IT, you wouldn't be saying these things if you did.  PLEASE, SHUT THE FUCK UP BEFORE I LOSE MY COMPOSURE!

stop talking about feeling. You obviously don't have much of a grip on it, you wouldn't be saying these things if you did. You sound like a real snob man, a pretty lame dude in terms of your musical taste (otherwise cool as far as i can tell). You just need to be more open minded. No  one is saying theory isn't important. All I am saying is that you can go down 2 avenues. You can pursue feeling and get somewhere with your musicianship. Of you can pursue technical proficiency. Its very rare that someone can pursue both (like starship has done) as it takes years and years of practice.

So what if right now im learning my feeling, then when i get the other shit down (if I ever decide too) I will be able to apply it. Just like when you learn about feeling you'll be able to apply it to your playing. You really remind me of what results from being brainwashed by a college.

Offlinetedthekid
Stranger

#15801140 - 02/13/12 12:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Knowledge of music theory doesn't mean anything. The Beatles didn't know how to read music. Enough said.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801166 - 02/13/12 12:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:

You're a fucking pompous ass dude.  First of all, you just assume that I don't know theory.  I can't apply it quickly (like while playing fast), but I understand a fair fucking deal about theory.

I played in trombone in a national jazz band for 4 years, played for 7, did a ton scales, learned modes, some stuff about chord progressions, I can knock out any chord you name.

Christ man.  What it comes down too is I listen to music for the way it makes me feel.  From blues, to jazz, to house music, I just want to be moved by the music, and I can appreciate different aspects of all different kinds of music depending on the mood I'm in.

You were being a pompous ass first.  You were stating that my ideas on theory and it's application were lunacy and that "feel" was all that mattered.  What I said before about "feel" was not stated in an asshole way.  I am not being a pompous ass.  I'm defending myself.  Ethobotanical was being a pompous ass.

I agree with you though,  "What it comes down to is I listen to music for the way it makes me feel".  I play music to get high as well, but you guys are making it seem as though theory is some kind of joke and doesn't matter, this really bothers me and I apologize if things got heated.  I really meant know offense, I was just defending my stance.  It's not like I said you have no chops or anything.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offline0rusnjos
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: tedthekid]
    #15801170 - 02/13/12 12:29 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

tedthekid said:
Knowledge of music theory doesn't mean anything. The Beatles didn't know how to read music. Enough said.

We went through this with Hendrix already, I'm not explaining myself again.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#15801174 - 02/13/12 12:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:

You were being a pompous ass first.  You were stating that my ideas on theory and it's application were lunacy and that "feel" was all that mattered.  What I said before about "feel" was not stated in an asshole way.  I am not being a pompous ass.  I'm defending myself.  Ethobotanical was being a pompous ass.

I agree with you though,  "What it comes down to is I listen to music for the way it makes me feel".  I play music to get high as well, but you guys are making it seem as though theory is some kind of joke and doesn't matter, this really bothers me and I apologize if things got heated.  I really meant know offense, I was just defending my stance.  It's not like I said you have no chops or anything.

Please point out in which post I said theory didn't matter?  Theory is a great tool, but as has been said there is a ton of music created by people with very little knowledge and theory that I still LOVE because of the way it makes me feel.

Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, the Beatles, the list goes on and on.

Did you watch the Kurt Rosenwinkel video I posted?  I like that shit too, and that is some HEAVY jazz.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801181 - 02/13/12 12:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

demonofchaos said:
Quote:

starfire_xes said:

stop talking about feeling. You obviously don't have much of a grip on it, you wouldn't be saying these things if you did. You sound like a real snob man, a pretty lame dude in terms of your musical taste (otherwise cool as far as i can tell). You just need to be more open minded. No  one is saying theory isn't important. All I am saying is that you can go down 2 avenues. You can pursue feeling and get somewhere with your musicianship. Of you can pursue technical proficiency. Its very rare that someone can pursue both (like starship has done) as it takes years and years of practice.

So what if right now im learning my feeling, then when i get the other shit down (if I ever decide too) I will be able to apply it. Just like when you learn about feeling you'll be able to apply it to your playing. You really remind me of what results from being brainwashed by a college.

I already explained this.

Anyone who claims "feeling" is more important than technique and application of music theory, doesn't understand what they are talking about.  Once you understand how to play technically and apply theory on the fly, you can develop your musical soul and identity.  You'll then actually understand why you hit that note flat rather than on key.  You gotta crawl before you can walk and you gotta walk before you can strut, man.

Let me reiterate, I don't think "feeling" or "soul" is an invalid concept, I think it must be developed after understanding what you are doing first.  You don't become a mechanic and learn along the way.  You don't become an engineer and figure out physics as it applies.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offline0rusnjos
    #15801223 - 02/13/12 12:43 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

0rusnjos said:

Please point out in which post I said theory didn't matter?  Theory is a great tool, but as has been said there is a ton of music created by people with very little knowledge and theory that I still LOVE because of the way it makes me feel.

Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, the Beatles, the list goes on and on.

Did you watch the Kurt Rosenwinkel video I posted?  I like that shit too, and that is some HEAVY jazz.

I agree 100%,  I fucking love Hendrix, Beatles, Floyd, etc... it's what got me into music.  I still love to listen to their music and it is truly rewarding, but that doesn't mean they are good guitarist.  I love music by these "heros" and enjoy listening to it, but at the same time I'm not impressed by there playing and in no way are they good players. 

This argument has gotten way out of hand and is pointless.  We are all entitled to our own opinions.  I really don't care what you guys think music is but don't insult theory(not directed at you pwnasaurous).  If it wasn't for theory none of you would ever have experienced the greatest high there is.

My apologies pwnasarous, I've been rapidly arguing with multiple people with a slow internet connection, sometimes it's hard to keep the conversation strait. 

Music is incredible and basically transcends the human experience, I glad that so many people are so passionate about it and can share what it means to them.  Good vibrations and what not.  If I could convey my feelings right now through music it would be a major third.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
    #15801328 - 02/13/12 01:21 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

One - may play only secondary dominant diminished neapolitan 6th chords with subsituted #11ths and b9ths and - thusly progress ones frequencies by ratios or squares of 1.618 or 3.14 or ones music shall propagate itself as naught but sheer and utter rubbish :snub:

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

OfflineThirty30

Loc: PNW
    #15801329 - 02/13/12 01:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

flat the 3rd son

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Thirty30]
    #15801520 - 02/13/12 02:42 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Not interested in technical mumbo jumbo but I do like the technical style of play.  I'm going to post some random videos if you don't mind, if you do mind let me know by flaming.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #15801526 - 02/13/12 02:44 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:

couldn't have said it better.

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
You have to know the rules before you know how to break them...Theory is a must to learn at first.  After it is learned you use it without consciosly thinking about it....makes it a lot easier to ear-learn songs too (though I prefer sheet music)

i like all the metaphors like this, but no one mentions how you only need it to apply to what you're aiming to play.

it seems everyone just wants to be the next Jimi Hendrix instead of play interesting music. :shrug:

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: akira_akuma]
    #15801569 - 02/13/12 03:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I wanna be the next starfire, Imp, the skimp, all the ho's pimp, the king of love, the god of cool, ain't no fool no tool, the mescaline man, thats what I am, the oracle man, he give you drugs and you look up, his ass is flying on a magic rug way up high, with lucy in the sky and a diamond in his eye....

that's the mescaline man, the king of cool, the god of love who ain't no fool.  So why do I need to be the next hendrix...?:awedisgust:

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma

#15801581 - 02/13/12 03:13 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

solo music is so far fetched. it's usually hard to make coherent structured music by one's self.

regardless of whether you're playing more then one instrument, but especially so, if you are only playing one...

boring music isn't good. :shrug: not saying it's impossible to not make boring music by yourself, but it's harder.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#15801592 - 02/13/12 03:17 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I never got no fancy education about music theroy. I play classical songs out of a book. No idea how chords are made. I just know enough to do finger picking which is all I wanted to do anyway.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #15801595 - 02/13/12 03:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

chords aren't even fucking hard, dude... i bet you can just natural learn your own way to do wahtever chords you want, if you can already finger pick classical songs then, fuck, you'd have no problem. the only thing is there is just so many chords, so it seems like the holy grail, but it's not king shit... it's actually easy peasy.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

#15801599 - 02/13/12 03:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

everyone thinks about what they are going to do too much; therefore it will be shallow and boring, and unoriginal.  You must let go of your mind, Little Grasshopper, and think nothing, in order to be creative...

The Oracle has Spoken....

--------------------

Offlines240779
Male Unread Journal User Gallery
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! *DELETED* [Re: Almond Flour]
    #15801606 - 02/13/12 03:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by superhigh

Reason for deletion: lo

Offlineakira_akuma

#15801609 - 02/13/12 03:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

oh i already know that, that's why i haven't been making music recently... no influence to.

all my musical friends are all either too busy, turned retarded or are actually so involved in their learning of music theory that they can't let go of what they've learned (as of yet, because they are still learning and absorbing), until the are done learning at least; thusly leaving one unable to make anything wholly original.

or at least, you could say, that they haven't gotten comfortable letting go and exploring yet, with what they've learned so far. (not learned enough)

i'm a drummer anyways, so musical theory general doesn't apply to playing them (drums); only following others playing, really.

Edited by akira_akuma (02/13/12 03:43 AM)

Offlineakira_akuma

#15801615 - 02/13/12 03:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

now you'd know what'd really be useful if you wanted to mr perfect, is learn of guitar theory AND piano theory too! :yesnod:

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: demonofchaos] * 1
    #15801631 - 02/13/12 03:40 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

demonofchaos said:

I don't understand music theory therefore it sucks :jailbait:

--------------------

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: Constantine]
    #15801750 - 02/13/12 05:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it's nice learning new things about guitar, and i enjoy it when i do, it always helps me advance and realize new things. that said i've never known any theory purists personally who could write songs worth a shit. theory can only get you so far without the ability to write songs, and just writing songs can only get you so far without learning technique.

--------------------

InvisibleRenzoSupreme
Can you feel the heat, brother?
 User Gallery

#15801938 - 02/13/12 07:47 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I know my way around.  The guitar isn't my first rodeo, either.  I play a dozen other instruments, all at an adept level.  I was a music major for two years, before I grew a brain.  Thanks for looking out though :wink:

--------------------

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

#15802176 - 02/13/12 09:42 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

for everyone arguing if music theory vs feeling, go youtube all the asian child prodigies. These kids can play the music, and know the music theory inside and out, but the songs lack any feeling or depth.

I played guitar and bass guitar for years just learning by ear and feeling the music. Just within the past few years I have been filling in the blanks with theory.

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: danielx]
    #15802198 - 02/13/12 09:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Glad to see this thread turned into 7 pages of PURE WIN!

And FYI aku......chords are not easy. Not if you have NO idea what your doing on the guitar. Ask a newbie or a shredder in guitar center if they can just figure out 3 chords, ANY of them. I garentee they will not only be unable to play chords, they will create horrible dissonant shitty sounding pitch clusters

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#15802502 - 02/13/12 11:30 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I play guitar and am taking intro to music theory at my college. It has helped me a lot, but its also pretty fuckin boring.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
    #15803409 - 02/13/12 02:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ethnobotanical said:
Glad to see this thread turned into 7 pages of PURE WIN!

And FYI aku......chords are not easy. Not if you have NO idea what your doing on the guitar. Ask a newbie or a shredder in guitar center if they can just figure out 3 chords, ANY of them. I garentee they will not only be unable to play chords, they will create horrible dissonant shitty sounding pitch clusters

Chords are easy :rofl:

unless you have counting disabilities I suppose.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

Offlines240779
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! *DELETED* [Re: s240779]
    #15803498 - 02/13/12 03:08 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by superhigh

Reason for deletion: vv

Edited by s240779 (02/13/12 11:21 PM)

Offlines240779
Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: s240779]
    #15808058 - 02/14/12 12:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleRenzoSupreme
Can you feel the heat, brother?
 User Gallery

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: s240779]
    #15836578 - 02/20/12 07:38 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I know guys that can shred better than that; play better rhythm than I can, and hardly know any theory/scales/chords at all.  Some of the best players on earth never took a lesson at all.  They know every chord I know, but they just know them all as 'that one' or 'this one'.  Scales and chords are not rocket surgery: It would be arrogant to assume a reasonably intelligent and talented men/women, cannot figure it out on their own terms.

I agree, this stuff opens trillions of doors, but then again, so do drugs..

I'm just sayin..

--------------------

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Do you play GUITAR? ::click here::!! [Re: RenzoSupreme]
    #15836845 - 02/20/12 09:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RenzoSupreme said:
I know guys that can shred better than that; play better rhythm than I can, and hardly know any theory/scales/chords at all.  Some of the best players on earth never took a lesson at all.  They know every chord I know, but they just know them all as 'that one' or 'this one'.  Scales and chords are not rocket surgery: It would be arrogant to assume a reasonably intelligent and talented men/women, cannot figure it out on their own terms.

I agree, this stuff opens trillions of doors, but then again, so do drugs..

I'm just sayin..

:eek:  :bowdown:

--------------------

OfflineCafua05
Stranger

#16259624 - 05/20/12 07:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I don't really know much guitar theory, I've been playing guitar since I was a child until now and found that playing from the heart is the best thing to do. Obviously its good to have some knowledge of basic theory to increase one's musical flexibility.

I'll be posting a new song I am composing soon on the music and arts section of the forums:)

--------------------
Previous Album:           Album I'm Currently Working On:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order