Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Dried Mushroom Mystery, (panaeolus of sorts?)
    #1579744 - 05/26/03 09:34 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hello mushroom hunters.

today a friend and i went for a stroll out in the countryside and stopped at my friends horse stable.  We went and checked the piles to see if anything was up and sure enough we found, well, something...

We havn't had any rain in a couple days and its been about 65F on average for a couple weeks now (in northern michigan).  As a result most of what we found was dried up, but not so much so that it destroys all hope of an approximate identification (if one exists :P)

so here it goes i will do my best to describe my findings without a picture.

*note*because of the condition of these i have only attempted a spore print of one of them and its not working thus far.

MUSHROOM 1

CAP: 2-3 cm  across, deeply striated, fading from a brownish nipple on top to a gray black, the edges were completely disintegrated (like an inky cap of sorts) the cap retained its sharp bell shape even in age.

Flesh:  very brittle

Gills:  Black,close to crowded, free but adnate (i think) hard to tell since it is about half dried.

Stipe: White, hollow, appox 10-15 cm long!  it grew deep into the horse pile with a long rooted bottom.  slightly fibrillose/silky in appearance.  no veil remnants

other:  these mushrooms grew mostly solitary and directly from horse compost and hay.
----------

Mushroom 2

Cap: appox 3-4 cm  fading from a deep cinnimon brown to a band of yellow to a band of white/gray and then finally to a grayish color.  the margin of the cap is *slightly* striated and slightly undercurved. slightly conical with younger specimens, most were umbonate to broadly umbonate. minutley knobbed and not upturning with age.

Flesh: not brittle, not thick, not distinctive in any way.

Gills: close, Deep chocolate brown to reddish rusty brown. Free and slightly mottled. the gills are sligthly marginate i think because they are darker near the edge.

Stipe: approx 6-7 cm hollow,slightly bulbous, whitish/reddish , slightly fibrillous but not apearing silky, the fibers apear to be reddish.  no remnants of a veil.

Spores:  from what i can gather, from the slight deposit on the upper part of the stipe and and the slight deposit on my paper, it apears to be a light orangeish/reddish to brown spore deposit. not 100% sure though because it could just be peices of the mushroom itself on the paper.

habitat: these grew directly from a pile that was older than other piles and consisted of abotu 50/50 horse manure to rotting hay.
they grew clustered and about half way up the pile.
------------------------

i found one other mushroom that was intact enought o positivly ID as a shaggy mane but not enough to eat :frown:

i hope i provided enough details to get a clue, any help would be appreciated :smile:

-odh-

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Dried Mushroom Mystery, (panaeolus of sorts?) [Re: ODhaze]
    #1579788 - 05/26/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Mushroom 1 sounds like it is some species of Coprinus, to me.

I dunno bout Mushroom 2, though.

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Re: Dried Mushroom Mystery, (panaeolus of sorts?) [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1579818 - 05/26/03 09:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

thats what i was thinking, since thats what seems to be overtaking america lately and it fits the profile pretty well. also shaggy mane is a coprinus and that was growing about 3 feet away in the same habitat.

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Dried Mushroom Mystery, (panaeolus of sorts?) [Re: ODhaze]
    #1579920 - 05/26/03 10:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Mushroom 1 sounds like a Coprinus.

Mushroom 2 sounds like a Cortinarius.

Dried mushrooms are a lot tougher to identify. Even if they turn out to be something interesting they're likely to be in a condition where they shouldn't be eaten because of the risk of food poisoning.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale