Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: Malachi]
    #1580509 - 05/27/03 01:56 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, I can see how weak-minded people can get something posative out of a book. I mean, if they never thought of anything reguarding the topic or whatever, they can implement it in their lives and possably become something better.

As for me, I'll stick with not reading books. Unless of course they are based off of scientific fact or whatever. I really like art books, I could just look at the pitcures cuz I kant read.

:tongue: 

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: Murex]
    #1580765 - 05/27/03 05:20 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

My intellect is the sum total of my experiences. I dont care if an author has won the Nobel prize because no matter how wise this person is his writing is based on his experiences not mine. Why would anything he has experienced apply to my life? We do not have anything in common nor does he posses any knowledge that i could not aquier through reasoning.

Reading will put things in to a new perspective and give me a nice mental workout, but at the end of it all very little will impact the path that i have chosen. Provoke change through intelligent debate not passive assimilation of words.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Edited by Shroomnoob (05/27/03 05:21 AM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #1581184 - 05/27/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

What's more fascinating is the psychology of the people who WRITE these books.

Believing that you've found the key to eternal life and joy and it can be applied to everyone is a level of arrogance I can't possibly imagine experiencing for myself. Strange stuff.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: Phluck]
    #1581204 - 05/27/03 11:07 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It is more like believing that you have found the key to skiing at Teluride, a new Corvette, yachting in San Diego and mega-babes; all through the power of royalties from your best-seller on the keys to happiness (and subsequent lectures and appearance fees as the guru-of-the-month).

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineWaveRider
In search ofWisdom

Loc: CANADA
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: Swami]
    #1581250 - 05/27/03 11:27 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Please do not insult authors like that, though you are probably right about the fact that most authors write for money but not all. The truly great authors (an art which is becoming increasingly rare) write because of passion and they write for themselves not for others. Literature is not to be accepted blindly by the masses as the sum of all wisdom but rather it is meant to waken a part of you that you are not aware it is there, it is meant to open yourself to a new idea, what is done with that idea is up to the individual.  :grin:   

--------------------
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer, the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path."

Invisiblesunyata
nonexistentexistentialist
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: WaveRider] * 1
    #1581426 - 05/27/03 12:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Some of you people make me laugh. You do realize that the knowledge of our species is transmitted through the written word, right? I would love to see the outcome of a life lived by someone who refused to accept any second-hand knowledge, stubbornly attempting to think through every single thing on their own. First of all, it's impossible; no one here who is able to think or speak figured out how to do that without the influence of their society and culture. Secondly, such a person would likely reek of ignorance, as many people in this world do. Swami, Phluck, all of you guys have obviously inherited other people's ideas and philosophies, and have chosen to model your thinking after a certain historical lineage of thought (Cartesian rationalism, or what have you). Of course none of you would deny this; my point is that all you are criticizing are the choices people make in terms of what kinds of ideas they allow to influence them.

Now this is a valid criticism. A lot of "knowledge" is being disseminated in the world right now that isn't worth a shit. Much of it can be found in the New Age section of the bookstore, but just as much bullshit is transmitted by the so-called experts in politics or history, for example. Maybe more. The new age movement is pretty laughable at times (Gary Zukav is a total joke IMO), but they have built their "theories" around some profound truths that have formed the core of the world's great wisdom traditions for millenia. The problem (as with almost any subject) is that there is so much chaff there that it's hard to find the wheat.

In my opinion the fault for this (if we have to find fault here at all) lies more with the profit-driven book publishers than anyone else... A large segment of the public is becoming interested in topics of a "spiritual" nature, IMO because they are beginning to recognize the dead end emptiness of our current set of cultural values, and something about Deepak Chopra's words (for example) resonates with them. Publishers see this trend and say, hmm, spirituality is hot this year. Let's flood the market with books by every hack popularizer and take advantage of this emerging demographic. Hence the chaff.

The average person isn't interested in heavy reading, so they ignore the quality sources of the perennial truths hidden in the new age mumbo jumbo and head straight for the books of whoever they saw on Oprah last month. Instead of reading Chogyam Trungpa or Abraham Maslow (or heaven forbid, the Dhammapada or the Tao Te Ching), they end up reading Wayne Dyer or whatever author the hype machine currently has puched to the top of the heap, and they end up getting a ton of crap mixed in with the genuine stuff. This to me is unfortunate because the stupidity of the new age gurus leads to many intelligent people throwing the baby out with the bathwater and dismissing the teachings of some of our species' wisest minds along with the ramblings of some of its most confused.

As far as modeling your life after a book, well, all I can say is we all model our lives after something, or many things to be more precise. None of us exist in a vaccuum, and we are constantly being molded by everything around us, whether we like to admit it or not. One person is influenced by a book they read, another by a person they know or a commercial they saw. It's all the same. A discerning mind will generally choose better influences, but we live in a culture that encourages uncritical acceptance of all kinds of authority, and it does not surprise me to see that many people have a difficult time determining who is worth listening to and who is not. I would discourage blind acceptance of any belief, but there are people worth listening to, and yes, some of them can probably be found in the new age section.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: sunyata]
    #1581506 - 05/27/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Great post!

The types of spiritual books that I like best are those of the "I was lost and now I'm found" variety. I don't mean Christian books (although they are not exempt), but personal experiences of someone whose life was clearly not working (health, money, realtionships, etc) and found a way to access real power and control over their limitations (real or self-imposed).

Even brilliant writers with profound philosophies, whose lives are a mess, I would tend to avoid (if I knew that much about their personal life).

The "We are all Dolphins from Sirius" books hold no appeal except as pure amusement.

--------------------

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1581520 - 05/27/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

books are great.

books written by intelligent people inspire intelligent thought.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1581644 - 05/27/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"I was lost and now I'm found"

~~*Freak pictures he and Swami arm in arm staggering towards a muddy culvert after a few too many pina coloda's(Swami was buying :grin:) per chance to dream singing Amazing Grace*~~

I once was lost~*hic*~ but now i'm found~*hic*~~
was blind.....*~~hic*~~but now i see...... 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Invisiblesunyata
nonexistentexistentialist
    #1581797 - 05/27/03 02:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Great post!

Thanks!

Quote:

Even brilliant writers with profound philosophies, whose lives are a mess, I would tend to avoid (if I knew that much about their personal life).

See, not me. I guess it depends on what kind of life you consider to be a mess. I recently learned that Alan Watts was apparently an alcoholic or something and didn't see much of his kids, but I would be much poorer intellectually if I had known this and avoided his books. There are lots of philosophers whose biographies would lead me to stay away from their work but that would mean ignoring someone like Nietzsche or Heidegger who may be a real genius with a lot of important things to say.

Quote:

The "We are all Dolphins from Sirius" books hold no appeal except as pure amusement.

I have never even seen one of these books before. My eyes must just automatically skip over them at the book store or something. They definitely sound interesting, but it's weird that this is the stereotype that occurs to most people when they think of someone in our culture who considers themselves to be spiritual outside the framework of organized religion. I've never met anyone who believes that stuff, though I know many people who shop in the the new age section. They aren't reading dolphin stuff, but they are still receiving confused and muddled messages from people who really don't know what they are talking about all the time. But whatever turns a person's crank, I suppose.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1581809 - 05/27/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

kafka was a mess, but he had alot of insight.

i find people whose lives are a "mess" are much more intersting than those with stable lives. security is non-existent in this world, and if someone manages to hold onto it for their whole life, well, i guess thats good for them.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1581897 - 05/27/03 03:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Kirkegaard was kind of a madd fuXXor himself, i read his biography many years ago, still doesn't mean he didn't have any wordz of wis-dumb to impart.......and who could forget jack kerouac and........aww n/m :grin: 

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1583357 - 05/27/03 11:48 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

See, not me. I guess it depends on what kind of life you consider to be a mess.

Would you rather read a fitness book by Arnold Schwarzenneger or Orson Wells? If someone says do A, B, & C which will result in D, but the author himself has not achieved D than how can you have any faith in his methodology?

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

#1583484 - 05/28/03 12:20 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Would you rather read a fitness book by Arnold Schwarzenneger or Orson Wells? "

And WHO would you rather listen to describing the invasion of our planet by Martians? :grin: 

--------------------

Anonymous

#1583499 - 05/28/03 12:23 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Try it?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1583937 - 05/28/03 02:22 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

FreakQlibrium: And WHO would you rather listen to describing the invasion of our planet by Martians?  :grin:

Honestly?  Schwarzenegger.
Can you imagine how funny that would sound?
Goddamn... it'd be great!
:cool:--> "I'll be back... with the mothership." 

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: Sclorch]
    #1584264 - 05/28/03 07:27 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

lol

"Goddamn... it'd be great!
--> "I'll be back... with the mothership."

that was funny

"How arrogant it is to sit down to write when one has yet to stand up and live."

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

#1584270 - 05/28/03 07:33 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Honestly? Schwarzenegger.

i was actually alluding to the famous (1939?) pseudo invasion by Martians that was orated by Orson Welles(radio broadcast i think) and actually had us earthlings believing we were being invaded....it just wouldn't have been as credible with Ahhhhnold doing the play by play :grin: 

--------------------

Anonymous

#1584720 - 05/28/03 11:33 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FreakQlibrium: And WHO would you rather listen to describing the invasion of our planet by Martians?  :grin:

Honestly?  Schwarzenegger.
Can you imagine how funny that would sound?
Goddamn... it'd be great!
:cool:--> "I'll be back... with the mothership."   

:grin:

Now  that is funny!

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: People who model their life after some book [Re: ]
    #1584734 - 05/28/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ya...
and then george clinton & bootsy collins come boogalooin' on down the ramp...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order