Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

My takes on casing
    #1577667 - 05/26/03 03:36 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Greetings,
I've recently scoured the FAQ on the note of casing.
After PJ has been growing for about a year now, I must say that the 1:4 ratio of casing layer:substrate is totally absurd and not needed.

Personally, a 1/4'' and 1/2'' casing layer is all that is needed for a bountiful and beautiful pinset. I've used 1/4-1/2'' casing layers on up to 6'' of straw with no problems, and great flushes.

What are your takes on this, shroomites?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: My takes on casing [Re: daba]
    #1577672 - 05/26/03 03:38 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

well I'm screwed... I just cased about 2-3 inches of mycel with about 1-2 inches of cococoir/verm 50/50.... hehe, oh well, some of the mycel is already through, I just want a few shroomies from it (only 3 cakes pf style).

--------------------
Sko

Anonymous

Re: My takes on casing [Re: Sko]
    #1577681 - 05/26/03 03:44 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

1-2 inches of casing material is an overkill, IMO.

I don't even compress my casing layer... I sprinkle it on, so it's just barely covering the mycelium.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1577688 - 05/26/03 03:50 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

>I must say that the 1:4 ratio of casing layer:substrate is totally absurd and not needed.

Go and tell this to an agaricus grower and see what he will tell you.

Of course you can always use less, particularly with P. cubensis, since this mushroom doesn?t need a casing at all, but if you want to achieve an optimum in water supply and structural support for the fruiting you want as thick a casing as possible(withing the limits provided through this 1: 4 ratio).

On the other hand, casing layers over 2 inches aren?t really needed, I think I?ll add this to the FAQ.

Edited by Anno (05/26/03 04:01 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1577695 - 05/26/03 03:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

A quote from The Mushroom Cultivator:

"The correct depth to apply the casing layer is directly related to the depth of the substrate. Greater amounts of substrate increase yield potential which in turn puts more stress on the casing layer. Prolific first and second flushes can remove a thin casing or damage its surface structure, thereby limiting future mushroom production. A thin casing layer also lacks the body and moisture holding capacity to support large flushes.
AS A GENERAL RULE, THE MORE MUSHROOMS EXPECTED PER SQUARE FOOT OF SURFACE AREA THE DEEPER THE CASING LAYER.
Agaricus growers use a minimum of one inch and a maximum of two inches of casing ontheir beds. Substrate depths of six to eight inches are cased 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches deep. Substrates deeper than 8 inches are cased 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep. Nevertheless, experiments in Holland using casing depths of 1 inch and 2 inches demonstrated thatt the deep casing layer supported higher levels of microorganisms and produced more mushrooms. (See Visscher, 1975). To gain the full benefits of a casing layer, an absolute minimum depth on bulk substrates is one inch. For fruiting on sterilized grain, the casing need not be as deep as for fruiting on bulk substrates. Shallow layers of grain are commonly cased 3/4 to 1 inch deep"

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: My takes on casing [Re: Anno]
    #1577920 - 05/26/03 09:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah. I like that Keats quote from ode to a grecian urn=). The deeper your casing, the more moisture it can provide, and the more mycelium grows through it, which translates into either more flushes or better flushes. I'm sure you could get away with 1/4" without alot of problems, but technically a 1/2" or even larger should provide you with provide a better medium and a better crop.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Anonymous

Re: My takes on casing [Re: lemunhed]
    #1579819 - 05/26/03 11:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hehe, I'm glad you know the famous Keats quote lemunhed!

I figure with patch casing it's going to end up 3/4'' anyway.

One thing: I meant it for P. Cubensis, not agraius.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation