Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
The Science of Tripping
    #1574263 - 05/24/03 08:58 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Does anyone know any theories as to what exactly happens in the brain while one is tripping? I've heard once that it sends the messages in the brain to all parts of the brain, hence the synesthesia of the senses(hearing colors, seeing sounds, etc.) Any thoughts?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Edited by silversoul7 (05/24/03 09:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
Re: The Science of Tripping [Re: silversoul7]
    #1574282 - 05/24/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Does anyone know any theories as to what exactly happens in the brain while one is tripping? I've heard once that it sends the messages in the brain to all parts of the brain, hence the synthesis of the senses(hearing colors, seeing sounds, etc.) Any thoughts?

(Note: it's called synesthesia, and not synthesis.)

To understand what hallucinogenic drugs do to the brain, we would first have to understand how the brain works. We don't. There exist theories and all, but nothing is for sure.

It just seems too complicated for us to understand at this point.

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: The Science of Tripping [Re: Meph]
    #1574284 - 05/24/03 09:23 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

(*thanks for the correction)

I know we don't know for sure how it works, but like I said, I'm looking for theories people have come up with.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

#1574298 - 05/24/03 09:34 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Here's mine. I ask anyone who is more familiar with the subject to correct me if needed.

DMT (N,N-dimethyltryptamine) is a tryptamine serotonin antagonist present in the human brain and spinal fluids that is suspected of being responsible for OBE (Out of Body Experiences), NDE (Near Death Experiences), and mabye even human consciousness. It is the most potent hallucinogenic substance known to man.

Psilocybin (O-phosphoryl-4-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) is closely related to DMT, so it has similar effects (although to a lesser extent). Take mushrooms, and you are simulating death, or mabye increasing your level of consciousness?

All I know for sure is that it's all very mysterious. I'm sure the answer is somewhere out there. 

Anyways. That's a very brief summary with lots of holes in it. But I don't have the time to write more now  :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinecerebral gortex
Prying open my third eye.
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Patriots Nation
    #1574525 - 05/24/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

They have explanations of what psychoactive substances do to the brain in the Psychedelic Encyclopedia.

The only thing i remember is how LSD blocks a portion of ALL sensory input, which is why you might hear things, or see things that arent there, walls breathing, etc...

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: The Science of Tripping [Re: cerebral gortex]
    #1575332 - 05/24/03 09:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

were might i get a copy of this "Psychedelic Encyclopedia"?

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #1577509 - 05/26/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey people....
As meph was saying, DMT, psilocybin / psilocin, LSD and a few other psychedelic chemicals are thought to be serotonin antagonists, meaning that they reduce the amount of serotonin being absorbed by the synapses.
It has also been found that serotonin levels drop during sleep stages while a person is dreaming.

What I beleive to be the latest theory on the possible actions of psychedelics in the brain, is that they basically induce a lucid dream type situation. They think that maybe serotonin, along with providing our waking selves with a 'sense of well being', also supresses dream states, and the psychedelics take away this serotonin which, as Huxley put it, opens up our 'cerebral reducing valves'.

But anyway, this is just a very very simple theory on what psychedelics might be doing in the brain. However, it is more l likely that this is only a tiny piece of whats really going on - as was said before, the brain is a hugely complex organism with chemical and electrical goings-on that we are no where near understanding yet.

I think that it is such a pity that psychedelic research has been banned in most parts of the world, as the potential of these chemicals are too big, too significant, for the human race to ignore and sweep under the rug. We need networks of secret scientists carrying out underground research on psychedelics, both in their psychological effects, and in their neurophysiological effects...I think that if enough people actively help increase the understanding of psychedelics, either by taking part in experiments, or by processing data, whatever, we will really have a chance at taking the human race to the next level of our social evolution - its gonna be awesome guys!

OK OK....I'll stop ranting on about my pipe dreams now....

Offlinecerebral gortex
Prying open my third eye.
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Patriots Nation
Re: The Science of Tripping [Re: DF2K]
    #1577560 - 05/26/03 12:32 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Re: The Science of Tripping [Re: zee_werp]
    #1578327 - 05/26/03 12:21 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for that well-structured and informative post! :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1580830 - 05/27/03 06:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

peter stafford's _psychedelic encyclopedia_ is also available from the shroooooomery booooookstore
www.shroomery.org/books.php?cat=Psychedelic&screen=3

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1581306 - 05/27/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

We need networks of secret scientists carrying out underground research on psychedelics, both in their psychological effects, and in their neurophysiological effects...I think that if enough people actively help increase the understanding of psychedelics, either by taking part in experiments, or by processing data, whatever, we will really have a chance at taking the human race to the next level of our social evolution

"We" do/have. Hell "we" are doing that NOW. It is a slow process for sure.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: The Science of Tripping [Re: debianlinux]
    #1588217 - 05/29/03 08:18 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, of course...our mycelium is crawling through the soil of society, colonising more and more substrate...oh, how I can't wait for fruiting conditions to arrive!

I think the problem is networking. It's not really easy for researchers to openly ask for voulenteers, get proper funding, or publish data, or share data with each other, etc, due to obvious legal issues. But still, progress is definatley being made. If we all continue to contribute in whatever ways we do, weather it be helping your friends / family become more aware and accepting of psychedelics, or producing art work / literature / music which has psychedelic undertones, or helping with research, anything that helps build up ammo for the next step in the psychedelic revolution.

I think one of the most important things all of us can do to help regain psychedelics respected place in society, is to keep tripping smart. I mean I'm not saying you need to revise chemistry text books or build computers while tripping, but I think we need to shift the cliche view of the 'drug fucked tripper'. Use psychedelics responsibly, and always try to get the most out of them...don't you guys just love it when you come out of a trip feeling smarter? :laugh:
OK so now I feel like a geek :wink:
Happy trippin' everyone.

Edited by zee_werp (05/29/03 08:21 AM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1596063 - 05/31/03 11:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If we all continue to contribute in whatever ways we do, weather it be helping your friends / family become more aware and accepting of psychedelics, or producing art work / literature / music which has psychedelic undertones, or helping with research, anything that helps build up ammo for the next step in the psychedelic revolution.

I'm trying my best to do just that.  :wink:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1596066 - 05/31/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"Eat some mushrooms, you blind fool!"--Murex

Nice!  :grin:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineSuperSpun
Not quite surewhat happened

Loc: India
Re: The Science of Tripping [Re: Murex]
    #1598588 - 06/01/03 03:28 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

dmt isn't the most potent hallucianagen knopw to man. LSD is.

--------------------

Not quite sure what happened

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate