Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
My Weekend Hunt... Pictures Galore!!!
    #1577335 - 05/25/03 10:42 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hello, friends! :smile:

This weekend I made a trip to my mother's house in Northwest PA.  She owns 52 acres of woodland property, which I thoroughly combed in search of our fungi friends.  My hunts were very successful, and breath-takingly beautiful!!!

Luckily I had a digital camera with me, and I was able to take pictures of many of the mushroom species I found.  Due to the large size and amount of the pictures, however, I have posted them  here, on this webpage I created.

Please take the time to visit this site and look through all of the pictures I have.  Unfortunately, there are pop-up ads, but they are easily gotten rid of. 

Some of the mushrooms I have identified, and others I have not.  I am aware that I have not provided enough information for most of the specimens to make proper identifications, but any educated guesses on the unidentified ones would be appreciated.  Thank you,

RebelSteve

P.S.  I have been extremely anxious and excited this whole weekend to come home and post these pics for you guys to see, so I really hope you enjoy them!

You guys in the hunting forum have really inspired me a lot!

I U ALL!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Center of the Room
Re: My Weekend Hunt... Pictures Galore!!! [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1577390 - 05/25/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i see zero pictures you liar!

--------------------
:::::Sincerely Yours, I disown you:::::

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1577392 - 05/25/03 11:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Awww.. Damnation, too much bandwidth transfer in one night. From what I saw(up to the coprinus), those are some damn nice pics. Looks like you had some fun man. Did you ever find those morels you were looking for?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1577401 - 05/25/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

So you're left handed? Or just faking that you can play guitar? I don't recognize the fingering as any common chord. Or maybe you just flipped the photo around?

The ones on the first page are classic examples of Agrocybe praecox, a common springtime mushroom. The features to note are the cracked caps (cellular cuticle!), attached gills, growth in mulch (common for this species), ring on the stem (not all Agrocybes have one), and that sort of dirty brown color to the spore print. Good job showing specimens at different stages of growth. It makes identifying some mushrooms way easier when you can see that.

You know what the second ones are.

When I got to page 3, your site had exceeded its allocation for data transfer, so all I got was that annoying Geocities error message page.

I guess I'll try again later.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My Weekend Hunt... Pictures Galore!!! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1577434 - 05/25/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh no... I wonder why it is giving that error?!  The site worked on both mine and my dad's computers, but both those computers have the pictures stored on their hard-drives.  It says I am only using 13 megabytes or so of the possible 25, so I don't understand what the problem is.

Do you think I just uploaded too many pictures at one time, and it needs a day or two to be able to process them all?  I hope that's what it means...

If not, I will find some way for you guys to see the rest of the pics.  Sorry about the tease!  It was completely unintentional, I assure you! :laugh:

Oh, and by the way, I do not really play the guitar.  I am just holding one and trying to look cool.  :wink:

And thanks for IDing that first mushroom, too.  It's nice to know! :smile:

Peace,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1577452 - 05/25/03 11:44 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The reason for that error is that geocities is stingy with their bandwidth. You're only allotted a certain amount of data transfer per day at geocities.

My guess is they give you 2-4mb of bandwidth everyday. What this means is that your directory(site) can send out 2mb of picture/text/whatever a day for people to view, once 2mb of pictures/text/whatever has been sent out and viewed by people they put the lockdown on your site for about 8 hours or so. Unfortunatly using bandwidth costs money, and this is geocities way of saving money.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My Weekend Hunt... Pictures Galore!!! [Re: Gumby]
    #1577478 - 05/25/03 11:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Oh man, that sucks. I'm a little confused, though. Does this mean that you will only be able to see 2-4 MB of my site? Or every 8 hours or so you will be able to see 2-4 MB more? Sorry, I'm slightly computer illiterate.

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (05/26/03 12:09 AM)

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#1577483 - 05/25/03 11:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

By the way... It will be worth your wait.

Here's a little preview of what's to come: :laugh:

:wink:

-RebelSteve

EDIT:  That is a normal-sized Bic lighter, just so you know.  It kinda looks like one of the miniature ones because the Morel is so big!

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (05/26/03 12:11 AM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1577524 - 05/26/03 12:17 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Every 8 hours you should 2-4 megs should be avaliable for viewing.
It's fine if you've only got a few people viewing the webpage, but when you link it from a huge site like this, the page gets nailed and all your bandwidth for the 8 hour period of time gets eaten up pretty fast.

That's an INSANE morel, by the way :smile:

Edited by GumbyDude (05/26/03 12:19 AM)

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My Weekend Hunt... Pictures Galore!!! [Re: Gumby]
    #1577536 - 05/26/03 12:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, I see! 

And I agree. . . .  It's quite insane! :laugh:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1577881 - 05/26/03 06:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OK, I got to page 3 (and the rest) this time...

Those look like Oyster Mushrooms, Pleurotus ostreatus. They should have a white to pale lilac colored spore print.

The next ones look like Coprinus plicatilis.

Nice newt photos. Was the one posing actually holding still like that?

Tremella foliacea seems reasonable. Yours look to have dried out a little.

The next one is similar in appearance to Pluteus cervinus. A spore print would tell us if that's so quickly - they have a pink spore print.

On the next page, those first ones look like Turkey Tails, as you guessed. Those are grayer than I usually see, but there are some that look colored near the bottom of the photo on the log you weren't photographing.

Then some more polypores. I don't think those 2 are the same species. The smaller ones look like they're going to grow into more of a hoof-like shape than the big ones. Did you try bruising the pores on the big one? They look a lot like Ganoderma applanatum.

The "young, but fairly large mushroom" could be any of a lot of things. Cortinarius, maybe?

The orange mushrooms look like Mycena leaiana. They're pretty common out east and favor beech wood.

And morels aren't hard to identify. Nice ones.

You had a nice day. Some excellent photos in there.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My Weekend Hunt... Pictures Galore!!! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1578515 - 05/26/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I am glad you got to view the whole page at last!  :laugh:

I looked up all the identifications you suggested in my ID book, and they all seem correct to me!  You are a superb mycologist, ToxicMan!  I wish I would've gotten more detailed information on some of the specimens so we could be sure, but I will make sure to do that on my future hunts.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look through those photos and trying to ID them!!  I am looking forward to making more hunts in the future and seeing what sort of mushrooms will pop up in my area later in the season.  I've developed a great affinity for finding and photographing members of the fungi kingdom!  It is so fun, and I think that mushrooms are incredibly photogenic! :smile:

Thanks again,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags