Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineglassman
simpleton
the results of a 6hr hunt in cherokee county
    #1576839 - 05/25/03 09:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

although we encountered dozens of mushroom species, weilii and pann subb eluded us in our search for new patches. my partner in crime and i did bag up several of these other species, just so we didn't come home empty handed.
Please post if you can help positively ID any of these.

These first little brown shrooms were found in an area that had construction begun on it quite some time ago, when all of the land around a cul-de-sac had been turned over for new development. the lots never sold and bermuda grass had been seeded in some of the newly turned lots. these were growing on the edge where the grass met the woods, so there were several types of trees around (pine, oak, etc) and lots of old and new straw (even whole bails) laying about. i don't notice any bluing and they smell like typical shrooms, so i assume them not to be weilii. The gills appear to be free in that they are not attached to the stalk. the stalk is equal width (club shaped on shrooms whose caps haven't opened yet) and hollow. it is rubbery, but snaps open crisply when bent. im making a spore print now.

A couple of miles away in a similar area there was evidence of construction a couple of years ago. there was a lot of gravel mixed with the clay/mud near woods, and we found very similar shrooms. i'm not really sure if they are the same type or not. the difference that i notice is that on the shrooms we found first, there was a ring zone on the stalk with purplish/black spores around it; however, this second find appeared to have tiny remnants of the veil tissue around the caps margin, making it look "toothy" (if that makes any sense). otherwise, the cap/gill/stalk characteristics seem very similar. This second find was in much greater numbers as well, and the mere 5 specimens of the first made it difficult to draw comparisons. i'm in the process of making a spore print for these as well.

i haven't the foggiest idea what species those are and any help would be greatly appreciated.

around old oak trees we found several varieties of amanita.

a couple of feet into the brush, beside a horse stable full of manure etc, i found a dead piece of wood (sorry i couldn't id the tree) that had a dense cluster of small fragile gilled shrooms covering it. the caps were bell shaped and the gills appear to be either free or attached to the stalk adnexed (?) there are no rings or veil, the hollow stalk is equal shaped and snaps apart when bent.
i dont have a field pic (sorry, angry farmer was gaining speed) but here is a pic of the mass of them back home.

no luck finding pann subbs either (i think). some specimens were in pretty sad shape when we found them so as you will see, the photos don't help much in trying to id. each of these were collected on or around horse manure/old hay, grass, etc. given the lack of information on these, i don't expect to be able to positively id any, but i did notice that some of the caps looked like they exhibited some characteristics of pann subbs, like the dark belted zone around the margin. anyway, this is just a hodgepodge of some of the finds around those areas.

also in muddy clay/ grassy areas we found a shit load of these white caps. These stems are quite fibrous. i thought these could possibly be Marasmius oreades , fairy ring mushroom?

i have more pics, but i've reached my capacity for the day. i hope this post works.

--------------------
I pulled that. . . right out of my ass. Like a cartoon. Whip! I've got a bulldozer! Whip! I've got a mug of soma! Whip! I'm outta here! ion

-glassman-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: the results of a 6hr hunt in cherokee county [Re: glassman]
    #1576955 - 05/25/03 10:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I live right near cherokee

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: the results of a 6hr hunt in cherokee county [Re: glassman]
    #1577229 - 05/25/03 11:57 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The brown mushrooms that you found are good ol Psathyrella velutina... the most common weilii look alike. Not active.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification