Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
Cooling my friend's system
    #1575865 - 05/25/03 05:19 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

My friend has a glass aquarium, not sure which size, 10 gal maybe. He lives in Arizona where the people even set their thermostats too damn high to have a decent grow. Right now his best temp is 81.6 degrees inside the aquarium, this has not worked for him in the past. How does he cool the aquarium for fruiting comfort?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: Cooling my friend's system [Re: igore]
    #1575884 - 05/25/03 05:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

There have been at least a couple posts here on this, in the past day or two even. Did you do a search before asking?

Anyway, my friend's buddy uses a cool mist humidifier and it keeps the terrarium nice and cool as well as humid.

-FB

Offlinephotovorix
retard
Loc: US
Re: Cooling my friend's system [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #1575891 - 05/25/03 06:18 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

if you wanted to get fancy... You could get a Radiator made for a PC cooling system... the hosing and a pump... a resivwhatever(to hold the liquid) and some anti-freeze. wrap the hosing around the terrarium in a spiral shape, hook up the radiator with a pc fan attatched to cool it.

fill the (container) with the anti-freeze, you can use water too but this works better. make sure all attatckment points are good and solid, especialy if your using the anti-freeze.

flip the pump on and watch your temp drop quite a bit. The pump and fan are designed to be lower wattage, to run off of a computer power supply (you can buy these seperate as well)

This will work, although it will also work ont he outside of the terrarium at the same time, esp. if you wrap the tubing around the outside, so make sure it doesnt get too cool (turn the fan off if it does, or put the positive wire from the fan in the yellow hole on the power connector, and the negative in the red, this will run the fan slower, at 7v instead of 12v) and be careful about outside condensation.

this method could prove slightly expensive but if you've got money to burn but dont want to cool the whole friggin roon, its worth it. I used a similar rig on my computer, and it helped soo much with cooling the cpu, and the theory works with pretty much anything that needs to be cooled.

I might suggest getting some copper sheets , maybe 4"x4", and inserting them between the glass and tubing at random intervals to improve heat transfer. Besides not being inside a computer case, thats the only modification to structure i can see it needing (and it doesnt need this, it may help if it doesnt cool you enough though unmodified)

Feed back would be good :-) unless its mean to me ;-)

::Edit::

You could also use soft copper tubing for wrapping, that would conform to the object better, me things. then step up from the copper ends to silicon for attatching to everything

Edited by photovorix (05/25/03 06:23 AM)

Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
Re: Cooling my friend's system [Re: photovorix]
    #1577404 - 05/26/03 01:20 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Umm...Thanks for the suggestion, sounds a little extensive for my friends taste and skill level. He's not a fan of anti-freeze>

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1577577 - 05/26/03 02:40 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Killer idea.  :grin: 

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinephotovorix
retard
    #1578245 - 05/26/03 01:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Umm...Thanks for the suggestion, sounds a little extensive for my friends taste and skill level. He's not a fan of anti-freeze>

Its actualy quite easy, duct tape some tubing to your aquarium, make a few connections, plug it in your good to go ;-)... and like i said you can use water instead of anti-freeze ;-)

Offlinem0rb
mushroom mobster

Loc: New England
    #1578382 - 05/26/03 02:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

damn thats a great idea photovorix !

-m0rb-

--------------------
"The business of America is business," - Calvin Coolidge

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Re: Cooling my friend's system [Re: m0rb]
    #1578549 - 05/26/03 03:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Unless your aquarium is made of metal and so is the tubing I don't see that working very well-I may be wrong but I've installed water-cooling on my PC before and plastic/glass probably wouldn't transmit that much heat in the same way silicone/aluminum -or- steel does. But like you mentioned, the copper, now that would work a lot better I'm sure.
-Mr.Sleep

Offlinephotovorix
retard
Re: Cooling my friend's system [Re: MrSleep]
    #1578835 - 05/26/03 05:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I know the copper piping would work, I've used it before. just connect it to the water cooling equip. with silicon/rubber tubing.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1578904 - 05/26/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

My friend has a glass aquarium, not sure which size, 10 gal maybe. He lives in Arizona where the people even set their thermostats too damn high to have a decent grow. Right now his best temp is 81.6 degrees inside the aquarium, this has not worked for him in the past. How does he cool the aquarium for fruiting comfort?

This method has worked for my friend in the past. It's simple, effective for small chambers and fun to set up.  :cool:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=1514668&Forum=Forum2&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=1514502&Search=true#Post1514668 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinephotovorix
retard
Re: Cooling my friend's system [Re: dog]
    #1578936 - 05/26/03 06:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Too bad weed doesnt come in bottles  :crazy:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation