Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineilike_trees
Braun Taun
 User Gallery

Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity
    #15736344 - 01/30/12 12:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This technology can't be swept under the carpet. This could literally save all mankind and propell us to the stars if you let your imagination start to work.
:feelsgoodman:

If this is old news then I'm sorry, this just has me very excited.

--------------------
Old and in the way

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: ilike_trees]
    #15736423 - 01/30/12 12:17 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm going to be a jerk.  This guy is the most boring speaker I have ever seen.  I want someone who can sway people, someone who can make an argument with substance.  I learned a lot in this I already know

we suck, the world sucks lol

--------------------
★★

Offlineilike_trees
Braun Taun
 User Gallery

Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: the human abstract]
    #15736460 - 01/30/12 12:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was not aware of nanocarbon. I imagine this is the technology they're using in the new smart windows that are coming out. But this is just a crazy innovation. Imagine what kind of things we can try and do in labs with infinite energy. The kind of technology we could create... it's like tron :awebig:

--------------------
Old and in the way

OfflineIcelandShaman
Stranger

#15736526 - 01/30/12 12:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting. Imagine if we could incorperate this into our own dna. What if your skin had clorophil and absorbed light?

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
    #15736666 - 01/30/12 01:29 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Unfortunately we're in need of a social revolution before this kind of technology will be widely deployed to the people that need it.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: Idiot]
    #15736861 - 01/30/12 03:55 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, so there's three things he proposes: a transparent material that can be made opaque by applying a voltage to it (a bit like an LCD from a functional viewpoint), a material that 'converts' near-IR radiation into visible light (a bit like phosphorescence, but using IR instead of UV and with no time delay) and a material that supposedly 'stores' electrons that can be released at free will. The first two are nice and could be useful if we manage to produce nanocarbon in an energy efficient way, which we currently can't. The last is the most interesting one, because it appears to open the way to more efficient batteries.

So, nice, and potentially useful. But I don't like how this man acts as if he's found a panacea, while in fact, the people he is in contact with have made tiny bits of a huge puzzle, and we don't really know if the bits will fit and what other bits we still need.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #15736929 - 01/30/12 05:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Original poster,

Please start a discussion related to science or technology with some substantive original argument or background.  A pasted video and a claim that an unnamed technology can not be swept under a rug is not sufficient.

Offlineilike_trees
Braun Taun
 User Gallery

Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: johnm214]
    #15737285 - 01/30/12 08:45 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I dont know where you think he was speculating but, He didn't propose this technology; it's already been developed.

This debuted at CES. this uses the EXACT technology presented in my original video. I predict in the coming moths we will see a wave of new technologies that will boggle the mind.

Think about a pair of glasses with this technology and a built in processor and motion detectors. Boom! Hands free smart phone. What about smart phones? Would the conductivity make for more accurate touch screens, better battery life, cheaper production costs, and faster bus speeds? Obviously microcarbon is going to lead to some insane new computer hardware using its conductive properties. The thing that really interests me is he said this system converts light to energy and ten convert energy back to light to beam it to another location. Could you attach a data package to that light for an instantaneous comm systems? Like I said in my op, let your imagination soar.

--------------------
Old and in the way

Edited by ilike_trees (01/30/12 08:53 AM)

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
    #15737664 - 01/30/12 11:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I predict in the coming moths we will see a wave of new technologies that will boggle the mind.

What else is new

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlineilike_trees
Braun Taun
 User Gallery

Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: snoot]
    #15737788 - 01/30/12 12:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You're right. Technology is always surprising the he'll out of us with the leaps made every year. But w're talking infinite energy supply... It's very obvious very few of you actually watched the video. It's very self explanatory.

But basically TL;DW is this:
Microcarbon is super conductive plastic
Scientists did scientist stuff with nanochips and made super small solar panel cells that let you see at night.
The scientists combined the two and made a solar panel you can put on ANYTHING. Such as windows. And cars. And planes. And satellites... You get the point.
These solar panels can also share energy wirelessly.
This material also can reflect heat in summer and retain heat in winter thanks to traits that exist when it is positively or negatively charged.
charging it takes two volts for one millisecond and it will stay in that state until you send the charge again.

Sounds pretty revolutionary to me :shrug:

--------------------
Old and in the way

Invisiblekoraks
    #15738033 - 01/30/12 01:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ilike_trees said:
This debuted at CES. this uses the EXACT technology presented in my original video.

Is it? That Samsung screen looks like LCD technology to me. Completely different from a technological viewpoint from the nanocarbon stuff in the OP, but a bit similar in terms of functionality. That's just speculation on my end though - perhaps you've got more detailed info on this and would like to share it? I'd love to be proven wrong on this!

Quote:

ilike_trees said:
Scientists did scientist stuff with nanochips and made super small solar panel cells that let you see at night.

I didn't get this either from the video in the OP like that; I understand it's more like phosphorescence. The material absorbs IR, and transmits photons in the visible light spectrum. That's different from a concept involving a solar panel as power source + IR camera for image acquisition + processing + LCD for display like you appear to describe.

Again: the video in the OP lacks a lot of detail, so maybe I'm interpreting it totally in the wrong way, but I've got the feeling you're falling into the trap that I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread: the guy in the video makes it seem as if they've got a fully integrated solution, while in fact, they have a few very interesting technologies that can be some of the building blocks that contribute to a solution.

Offlineilike_trees
Braun Taun
 User Gallery

Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: koraks]
    #15738089 - 01/30/12 01:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

From the way the video put it, this had all been incorporated. That they had already tested the IR sensors on a film of microcarbon, and held the energy in a lead battery designed for the home. Wasn't aware it wa a trap... Is this some sort of trick needed to sway potential investors or something?

--------------------
Old and in the way

Invisiblekoraks
    #15738169 - 01/30/12 01:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ilike_trees said:
From the way the video put it, this had all been incorporated.

Well, incorporated...in itself, each of these innovations aren't really very useful: they are only valuable as part of a larger system. Mind you: as building blocks, they are indeed potentially _very_ valuable and they certainly are innovative, so I don't want to downplay this achievement. But I do think the presentation was a bit misleading.

Quote:

That they had already tested the IR sensors on a film of microcarbon

Well yes, but the essence of that innovation is the fact that they have a material that apparently directly converts IR into visible light. So it's not really a 'sensor', and more comparable with the glowing dial on your 1950s low-in-the-dark watch. But: great innovation, potentially very valuable.

Quote:

and held the energy in a lead battery designed for the home.

No, the essence of that one is that you don't need the lead batteries anymore! They have apparently developed an alternative to a battery that can store electrons and release them at will. This can be extremely valuable, if (IF) the performance and costs are indeed superior to current solutions. If (IF) they are, then it's potentially a huge leap forward.

Note that in the video in the OP, no means to produce energy has been presented. Sustainable forms of energy 'generation' (conversion) are mentioned several times, but they are part of the rest of the puzzle, to which the elements in the video are complementary.

Quote:

Wasn't aware it wa a trap... Is this some sort of trick needed to sway potential investors or something?

In short: yes. Academics have a huge marketing challenge. They do fundamental work that usually does not result in usable products that are ripe for the market, but they do require investments from society/businesses/benefactors who want to have the impression that something valuable is being done with their money. So researchers are constantly fighting for credibility and relevance, and both are usually different to demonstrate or establish. This results in claims being made that at first glance seem incredibly impressive, but a closer look usually reveals that there are huge leaps of 'buts' and 'ifs' incorporated in the story, and that things are formulated in a very ingenious way. This video is a good example: at first glance, you might think "wow, this is going to change the world tomorrow!", but if you look closely, you see that it's actually closer to "wow, this is going to be helpful if we manage to develop some more stuff that may change the world, if not tomorrow, then perhaps a decade down the line, provided someone else provides the building blocks that are beyond our project scope."

Offlineilike_trees
Braun Taun
 User Gallery

#15738284 - 01/30/12 02:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I still want night vision glasses
:snub:

I was really :awehigh: last night and found this video. I went all :tardpig: onto the Shroomery to tell the world they are saved! I failed to realize that if this were truly proven technology he would have an actual working, energy absorbing, heat reflecting window on stage with him.

What I mainly take from this is we are getting close to the singularity. I agree with the need for societal overhaul before the world is ready for this sort of thing. Energy companies would keep this sort of thing as hidden as they could. Not to mention I'm one of those people that think some people out there want us all slaves to resources to keep us in line. :tinfoil:

I guess ive forgotten all about the E-Cat. What are your thoughts on that Koraks? Seems a little expensive to implement to me but we'll see.

--------------------
Old and in the way

Invisiblekoraks
    #15738386 - 01/30/12 02:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ilike_trees said:
I still want night vision glasses
:snub:

Hehe, yeah, me too, don't get me wrong on that. It'd be awesome. And we'll get it; the question isn't if, but when.

Quote:

What I mainly take from this is we are getting close to the singularity. I agree with the need for societal overhaul before the world is ready for this sort of thing. Energy companies would keep this sort of thing as hidden as they could. Not to mention I'm one of those people that think some people out there want us all slaves to resources to keep us in line. :tinfoil:

I'm not so sure about the singularity, the infinite power of energy companies (no pun intended :wink:) and people trying to control us. Innovation is a step-wise thing and is recombinant by nature: it relies on ideas being combined to make new value for businesses and consumers. And sure, businesses (and employees) try to make a living and preferably a healthy profit/income. Frequently, that involves some form of opportunistic behavior and making use of information asymmetry, but that doesn't equal Illuminati trying to get full control over people's lives. So I guess I'm a bit less pessimistic about the nature of society than you appear to be, but maybe it's just a difference in interpretation.

Quote:

I guess ive forgotten all about the E-Cat. What are your thoughts on that Koraks? Seems a little expensive to implement to me but we'll see.

Apart from implementation, the issue of evidence or proof is still not worked out. The e-cat, or the whole concept of cold fusion is rather doubtful in terms of its existence and feasibility. I'm very skeptical of this; we need some solid evidence that can stand up to the scrutiny of experts worldwide, and currently, that sort of evidence is simply lacking. Until I see some of that, cold fusion fits in the category "interesting, but still a pipe dream". Let's hope I'm wrong and it does in fact work. But again, I'm skeptical. Note that I don't gain anything by keeping any lid on this, so I consider myself relatively unbiased. Looking at the data I have to my disposal (which is the same as you can find all over the net), I'm far from convinced of the e-cat concept actually yielding energy at this point. It's not as crackpot as cars running on water, but it's pretty close. Again, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Offlineilike_trees
Braun Taun
 User Gallery

#15738524 - 01/30/12 02:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You can buy a working E-cat they work. They are self sustaining an they work up to 600 kw. I believe I heard that the last test finally produced a unit that can sustain 1 mw. The site however does not give prices.

--------------------
Old and in the way

Invisiblekoraks
    #15738558 - 01/30/12 03:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ilike_trees said:
You can buy a working E-cat they work.

Well, you can buy an e-cat, that much is true.

Quote:

They are self sustaining an they work up to 600 kw.

No evidence is available that it actually yields the energy that the manufacturer promises. Apart from non peer-reviewed promises from the manufacturer that it does so, of course. I'm not convinced by that - like I said, evidence is needed that can stand up to the close scrutiny of external experts.

Quote:

I believe I heard that the last test finally produced a unit that can sustain 1 mw. The site however does not give prices.

I don't believe they've actually built a 1MW prototype yet. Last time I looked, they do offer it for sale, but that doesn't mean one has been built and tested already. I got the impression that the manufacturer believes the current technology (which isn't proven sufficiently; see above) can easily be scaled up to 1MW, but judging by nearly all complex technological projects, it is unlikely that this is possible without overcoming some unforeseen challenges. IF the concept actually works.

So I remain skeptical, even if the e-cat peepz are adamant that it will work. "Sell first, then see if we can make it work" is a strategy that has been tried thousands of times, and definitely not always successfully.

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge
    #15745207 - 01/31/12 11:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Nanotechnology is awesome. I am working toward a degree in Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in Nanotechnology (as well as Sustainability Leadership).

I'm really looking forward to the development of graphene, particularly as a semiconductor transistor in computer processors. There are currently problems with the band gap but there have been some proposed fixes and we're looking at a material that can theoretically help us create amazingly small computers. This is only one of the thousands of possible applications though.

--------------------

Sartre on conciousness: "a being such that in its being, its being is in question in so far as this being implies a being other than itself."
Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek
Phish videos and discussion!

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: The_Aviator]
    #15746631 - 02/01/12 10:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The_Aviator said:
Nanotechnology is awesome. I am working toward a degree in Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in Nanotechnology (as well as Sustainability Leadership).

Sustainability leadership????? :confused:

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge
Re: Nanotechnology and the Age of Infinity [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #15746678 - 02/01/12 10:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
Quote:

The_Aviator said:

Sustainability leadership????? :confused:

As in sustainable energy. I'm doing this because I'd like to be involved in materials processes that are sustainable and efficient. And I think some of the classes will be helpful for if I ever start my own materials business.

--------------------

Sartre on conciousness: "a being such that in its being, its being is in question in so far as this being implies a being other than itself."
Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek
Phish videos and discussion!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale