Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Loc: Chongqing, China
what caused this?
    #1569916 - 05/22/03 05:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

not sure if this is the right forum for this, but my bud recently birthed 9 half-pint cakes of B+ and ALL of the mushrooms so far have had no veil  :shocked:. Consequently, as the primadora mature, the caps become convex and inverted like a V.

There are several possible culprits here:

1) he used rubbing alcohol to sterylize the inside of the fruiting chamber during the first flush, but after dunking, the second flush is having the same trouble two weeks later.

2) he used rubbing alcohol to sterylize the shot glass which he used to make his spore syringes. its possible that a few small drops may have come in contact with some spores.

3) most unlikely, he's using a new "poor-man's pod" setup and thinks the air exchange may be insufficient.

anybody out there had this happen before? any ideas on whats going on here?thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Re: what caused this? [Re: chineseguy]
    #1570148 - 05/22/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Never seen it before, but it looks like poor air exchange.

Pick those little shrooms off of the cake, then put a layer of verm on top and one below the cake (make sure the verm is moist).

They should fruit better next time.

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: what caused this? [Re: Rustik]
    #1571933 - 05/23/03 11:23 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I also believe the culprit is lack of air exchange.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: what caused this? [Re: MAIA]
    #1572254 - 05/23/03 01:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I would also think that this is at least partially due to a lack of air exchange, but my bro did two things to make sure this wasn't the case and is still having this problemo: 1) he purchased a much more powerful air pump which dispenses 4 liters per minute and provides over 2 complete air exchanges per hour- this pump is left on 24-7. To make SURE this wasn't the problem, he is also fanning twice a day. However, when he first birthed these cakes, there is no doubt that the air exchange was very insufficient. Could that have caused these continuing problems even after the problem has been fixed?

Also, he remembered something which could be the cause: this is the first grow he has conducted where the spores where his own, from a previous grow. He remembers that when he took the print which provided these cakes, he was out of foil and used a notecard instead. For some idiotic reason, he decided to spray the card with Lysol to sterylize it, waited for it to dry, then layed the print on it. Is it possible that residual chemicals that were on the card could have caused these mutations?

Finally, I have been searching these forums to try to find some clues and it seems that rubbing alcohol is often the cause of mutations. Perhaps it's not a coincodence that these cakes have been exposed to significant amounts of fumes from rubbing alc., which probably has something to do with this.

--IMO, seeing as though every single fruitbody has had this mutation, there seems to be a genetic problem with these cakes, which was probably not caused by 4-5 days of poor air exchange. Thoughts?

Offlinepsilo9com
Koh Koh Gadget

#1572422 - 05/23/03 02:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

As far as I know, Lysol isn't a mutagen.
If it were, we probably wouldn't use it so readily around the house. It just kills stuff.

My guess would be it's in it's genes, but i'm no mycologyst

OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

Loc: Canada
Re: what caused this? [Re: psilo9com]
    #1573869 - 05/24/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

As far as I know, Lysol isn't a mutagen.
If it were, we probably wouldn't use it so readily around the house. It just kills stuff.

My guess would be it's in it's genes, but i'm no mycologyst

Actually Like bleach it has caused my fruits to mutate.

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: what caused this? [Re: FocusHawaii]
    #1574450 - 05/24/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

that helps explain alot. thanks.

OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

Loc: Canada
    #1574543 - 05/24/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

but the Small Fruits are probably Due to not Fanning as Maia Said. Lift the Lid More and Fan it! 3 times a day!

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: what caused this? [Re: FocusHawaii]
    #1575659 - 05/25/03 12:16 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

the foaf has had identical aborts, among a flush of well off large GT's. air cant be it, because the other grew well. i would suspect your print-and dont use lysol again! sterilize ur card in the oven @300/30 min
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: what caused this? [Re: jakeholman]
    #1581530 - 05/27/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

thought i would share some pics of these freaks- i found it interesting that almost all the fruits have been mutated, but in different ways.

the classic "all gills with no cap" mutation:

this cake produced fruits in which the caps had very little color and holes like swiss cheese:

all the retards congregate:

the one thing that all the mutants had in common was deformations of the cap- some had no cap cover at all leaving the gills exposed while other had holes in the cap w/ discoloration. at least afoaf doesn't have to worry bout taking prints this time.  :smile:

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

#1581694 - 05/27/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

IMO, seeing as though every single fruitbody has had this mutation, there seems to be a genetic problem with these cakes, which was probably not caused by 4-5 days of poor air exchange. Thoughts?

If every single fruitbody has the mutation, then it could still be an array of things causing it. Genetics isn't the only thing they have in common - they were all prepared in the same manner, they are all being fruited in the same container, all being exposed to the same conditions...

Were they exposed to any sort of petrolium product at any stage? Petrolium products have been known to cause mutations in fruitbodies, I believe..

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Re: what caused this? [Re: Rustik]
    #1581778 - 05/27/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>>Were they exposed to any sort of petrolium product at any stage? Petrolium products have been known to cause mutations in fruitbodies, I believe.. <<

As stated above:

There are several possible culprits here:

1) he used rubbing alcohol to sterylize the inside of the fruiting chamber during the first flush, but after dunking, the second flush is having the same trouble two weeks later.

2) he used rubbing alcohol to sterylize the shot glass which he used to make his spore syringes. its possible that a few small drops may have come in contact with some spores.

the lysol probably had something to do with it as well. all things considered, at least afoaf got a decent flush out of it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder