Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

PC'ing BRF Aftermath?
    #1570701 - 05/22/03 10:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Finally got my pressure cooker, and even though the person (ebay) I bought it from, said it was adjustable, it's not. So, I did 15psi for 30 minutes or so. I didn't want to "cook" anything. Pressure cooker is a known good (brand new) model, so I wouldn't expect it to be off by much.

My question is, after I did two batches of these, and removed the aluminum foil (I used regular metal lids, with holes, double taped with blue painters masking tape (works great btw), and then wrapped in foil to prevent water seepage) I was stunned.

I didn't pay much attention before, but it almost looked like my BRF power, has "cooked" or "swollen."

I buy regular brown rice and grind it myself into a damn near powder formatation. I can't really remember what it looked like before, as I never paid attention, but they went from say, a fine point BIC pen point, to a BIG medium BIC pen point. Almost like they cooked and swelled up.

It seems weird as if they would do this, and I won't be around to shoot them up with syringes for 2 days, so I will be able to take pics and post back before I waste my time/syringes, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this?

The water content in the jars is stable. I was getting just a "light" amount of condensation on the walls after putting the lids, etc on. Nothing was standing at the bottom of the jar, etc. After removing the foil, the water content on the walls, looked identical, so I'm pretty sure I didn't mess anything up.

Just curious.

Thanks.

PS: For more precaution, after I put on the aluminum foil, I put 3 rubber bands around each "tall" half pint.

TIA.

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, it's fun until you realize you are only screwing yourself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeggy
Stranger
Male

Loc: south africa
Re: PC'ing BRF Aftermath? [Re: u4ia]
    #1570912 - 05/22/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"a friend" used a very fine rice flour and noticed these swelled too after sterilizing... that was three weeks ago and so far things are progressing quite nicely thank you!

--------------------
"a trippy absolute.eye tripping disease.no resolution no auto save"

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1571101 - 05/23/03 12:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Normal grain rice is cooked in 15 minutes in a normal pot.

Why would it wonder that rice flour is cooked in 30 minutes in a pressure cooker?

I?d recommend, just from bad experience, to pressure cook the jars for 45 minutes.

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
Re: PC'ing BRF Aftermath? [Re: Anno]
    #1571112 - 05/23/03 12:45 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yeah u said u grind it ur self into near fine powder, i take this to mean that there r little peices of rice in there, if rice usually expands bout 3-4 when u cook it, why would it matter that it was in slightly smaller peices and mixed with verm, im sure ne others little rice chunks u cooked swelled up just the same

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: PC'ing BRF Aftermath? [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1571127 - 05/23/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A little swelling is somewhat normal. I would PC for longer, afoaf does his for 50 min. and doesn't notice large swelling. Is your water level too high? Maybe water is getting in, afoaf puts 1.5'' of water in the PC (also from ebay, 21 liter huge PC for $14).

-FB

edit: ' to ''

Edited by FunkyBudah (05/23/03 12:51 AM)

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

Re: PC'ing BRF Aftermath? [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #1571663 - 05/23/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

No water got in.

Water level is correct.

Maybe I'm just too anal, and am worrying too much.

This was my first time pressure cooking, and I didn't want to "bake" my half pints. 

Damn PC's are loud though, and I think 30 minutes will be fine for right now.

Jars were DAMN hot was taking them out, I don't see how anything could have survived. :smile:

At least I reached my goal, and that was prohibiting water from entering. :laugh:

I just didn't know if the swelling was normal, as I would assume "cooking" would mean making the BRF lose some of its nutrients, and thus the jars would be bad, or not viable for research. 

Oh ya, when relieving pressure, it smelled like cooked rice. :smile:

I'll keep this updated over the next few days, or once I see some mycelium growth.

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, it's fun until you realize you are only screwing yourself.

OfflineRaedon
enthusiast

#1571665 - 05/23/03 07:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

All PC's are adjustable to 15 PSI.. just turn the burner down. :smile:

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: PC'ing BRF Aftermath? [Re: Raedon]
    #1571815 - 05/23/03 10:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Honestly, i don't understand why everyone PC's shit for like 5 hours and then more and more... I know a kid who has PC"ed numerous jars ar 15psi for about 20 minutes and has never had a contam. I don't know how durable various contams are, so maybe that kid has just been lucky but, the less the better as lond as it's sterile

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

Re: PC'ing BRF Aftermath? [Re: lemunhed]
    #1571843 - 05/23/03 10:28 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Not all PC's are adjustable.

Mine can only be used @ 15psi. Internal regulator. Once it hits 15psi, it opens up, once temps get nice and high, the wobbler on the tops starts making its noise.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale