Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinetokinman21
Stranger
Did Motown beat raves to the punch?
    #15693104 - 01/20/12 02:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So the rave culture feels really unique and all, but I sort of had a realization.  It's just about leaving your worries outside, getting really fucked up, and dancing the night away with cool people.  If I grew up in the motown/disco era I'd be like "man, you guys are pussies...we did the same thing, except we were on roller skates!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleifoundwaldo

Loc: Denver, CO Flag
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: tokinman21]
    #15693109 - 01/20/12 02:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm pretty sure getting fucked up and dancing the night away with cool people predates motown/disco...

--------------------

Offlinetokinman21
Stranger
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: ifoundwaldo]
    #15693132 - 01/20/12 02:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:
I'm pretty sure getting fucked up and dancing the night away with cool people predates motown/disco...

Lol I'm aware, but that seems to most similarly resemble the rave culture.

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #15693156 - 01/20/12 02:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tokinman21 said:
Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:

How so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Wedding_Dance.JPG

Invisibleifoundwaldo

Loc: Denver, CO Flag
    #15693163 - 01/20/12 02:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tokinman21 said:
Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:

What? Because it's dark, and there's usually drugs involved?

Pretty weak correlation.

--------------------

InvisibleMad_Larkin

Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: ifoundwaldo]
    #15693215 - 01/20/12 02:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:

:tmckenna:

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

#15693278 - 01/20/12 02:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've never been to a rave, or a disco... but i was just thinking that i'd love to go to a disco, they need to bring that back. It's the only kind of music i can dance to. Problem is no one but me seems to like that kind of music around here, not even people who were around back then. I live near Detroit too. I do see a lot of similarities, it's not really that deep like the op said a night of drugs, dancing, and a carefree attitude.

Maybe a rave with some trippy classic rock/disco beats mixed in would be more popular with that crowd. The Detroit Electronic Music Festival usually has a few DJs spinning that style i just described and everyone loves it. Maybe some raves are like that too, i don't know.

Offlinetokinman21
Stranger
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: ImperialCactus]
    #15693386 - 01/20/12 03:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ImperialCactus said:
I've never been to a rave, or a disco... but i was just thinking that i'd love to go to a disco, they need to bring that back. It's the only kind of music i can dance to. Problem is no one but me seems to like that kind of music around here, not even people who were around back then. I live near Detroit too. I do see a lot of similarities, it's not really that deep like the op said a night of drugs, dancing, and a carefree attitude.

Maybe a rave with some trippy classic rock/disco beats mixed in would be more popular with that crowd. The Detroit Electronic Music Festival usually has a few DJs spinning that style i just described and everyone loves it. Maybe some raves are like that too, i don't know.

I wouldn't exactly say raves aren't deep...I find that they tend to have a very strong, beautiful sense of love and community amongst the people there.

InvisibleDemonic_Chronic
The Plague Doctress
Trans-female

Loc: PNW Flag
    #15693395 - 01/20/12 03:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Drugs beat you to the punch! :cactuarrun:

DC

--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

Offline4896744
Small Town Girl
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #15693396 - 01/20/12 03:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Raves don't really exist anymore as far as I know, but EDM concerts can be pretty awesome crowds the more underground they are.

--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: 4896744]
    #15694977 - 01/20/12 08:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Did movies beat TV to the punch?

Did Atari beat Playstation to the punch?

Did breastfeeding beat solid food to the punch?

Did 4th grade beat 5th grade to the punch?

What "punch"?

OfflineHajnal
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New Eden
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: 4896744]
    #15695148 - 01/20/12 09:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iThink said:
Raves don't really exist anymore as far as I know, but EDM concerts can be pretty awesome crowds the more underground they are.

Exactly. Raves are gone, and that deeply saddens me. However as stated above, EDM concerts can be pretty badass if kept on the dl.

--------------------
Hajnal ['hɒjnɒl] - An elegant mixture of blood and circuitry; sorrow and love fill your systems, like the stars and black holes encompass the ∞.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: Hajnal]
    #15695265 - 01/20/12 09:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

House music!

:raveface::awetrippie::awecid::awebig::awebigvaped:

Invisibledrr
Female
    #15696342 - 01/21/12 06:28 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Motown and disco should not be confused, at all.

Jazz clubs in the 30s and 40s...Flappers and black jazz musicians smoking reefers... As somebody stated, getting high and dancing has been happening for a long time. People try to argue a connection between the rave scene and tribal types of gatherings that have occurred for thousands of years. I'm not going to call that a valid connection. But just a clue as to how long people have been dancing together...

If you think disco is the immediate predecessor to EDM, though, you are right.

Invisibledrr
Female
    #15696344 - 01/21/12 06:29 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Hajnal said:
Quote:

iThink said:

Exactly. Raves are gone, and that deeply saddens me. However as stated above, EDM concerts can be pretty badass if kept on the dl.

Could you clarify? Because I'm positive I have been to a rave within the last two years, not a doubt in my mind.

OfflineHajnal

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: drr]
    #15696406 - 01/21/12 07:05 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's more or less a Rave based on the mindset of the crowd attending. People used to goto Raves to come together as a culture that was extremely shunned, where the general theme and overall vibe was Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect. Anything and everything I've gone to in the past few years has been void of that vibe. People here and there may shout it or claim they abide by it, but really it's become an excuse to get really fucked up and dance to music.

It's become a party, not a collective. In the post below I'll post an epic poem that was written a long time ago that personally I think does a good job ad expressing that mindset, in comparison to what they've become, which is WHERES THE BASS DROP or OMG IM ROLLING SO HARD RIGHT NOW!!!1!1/

--------------------
Hajnal ['hɒjnɒl] - An elegant mixture of blood and circuitry; sorrow and love fill your systems, like the stars and black holes encompass the ∞.

OfflineHajnal

Folding@home Statistics
    #15696409 - 01/21/12 07:05 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

WorldWide Raver's Manifesto Project, Toronto

Our emotional state of choice is Ecstasy. Our nourishment of choice is Love. Our addiction of choice is technology. Our religion of choice is music. Our currency of choice is knowledge. Our politics of choice is none. Our society of choice is utopian though we know it will never be.

You may hate us. You may dismiss us. You may misunderstand us. You may be unaware of our existence. We can only hope you do not care to judge us, because we would never judge you. We are not criminals. We are not disillusioned. We are not drug addicts. We are not naive children. We are one massive, global, tribal village that transcends man-made law, physical geography, and time itself. We are The Massive. One Massive.

We were first drawn by the sound. From far away, the thunderous, muffled, echoing beat was comparable to a mother's heart soothing a child in her womb of concrete, steel, and electrical wiring. We were drawn back into this womb, and there, in the heat, dampness, and darkness of it, we came to accept that we are all equal. Not only to the darkness, and to ourselves, but to the very music slamming into us and passing through our souls: we are all equal. And somewhere around 35Hz we could feel the hand of God at our backs, pushing us forward, pushing us to push ourselves to strengthen our minds, our bodies, and our spirits. Pushing us to turn to the person beside us to join hands and uplift them by sharing the uncontrollable joy we felt from creating this magical bubble that can, for one evening, protect us from the horrors, atrocities, and pollution of the outside world. It is in that very instant, with these initial realizations that each of us was truly born.

We continue to pack our bodies into clubs, or warehouses, or buildings you've abandoned and left for naught, and we bring life to them for one night. Strong, throbbing, vibrant life in it's purest, most intense, most hedonistic form. In these makeshift spaces, we seek to shed ourselves of the burden of uncertainty for a future you have been unable to stabilize and secure for us. We seek to relinquish our inhibitions, and free ourselves from the shackles and restraints you've put on us for your own peace of mind. We seek to re-write the programming that you have tried to indoctrinate us with since the moment we were born. Programming that tells us to hate, that tells us to judge, that tells us to stuff ourselves into the nearest and most convenient pigeon hole possible. Programming that even tells us to climb ladders for you, jump through hoops, and run through mazes and on hamster wheels. Programming that tells us to eat from the shiny silver spoon you are trying to feed us with, instead of nourish ourselves with our own capable hands. Programming that tells us to close our minds, instead of open them.

Until the sun rises to burn our eyes by revealing the distopian reality of a world you've created for us, we dance fiercely with our brothers and sisters in celebration of our life, of our culture, and of the values we believe in: Peace, Love, Freedom, Tolerance, Unity, Harmony, Expression, Responsibility and Respect.

Our enemy of choice is ignorance. Our weapon of choice is information. Our crime of choice is breaking and challenging whatever laws you feel you need to put in place to stop us from celebrating our existence. But know that while you may shut down any given party, on any given night, in any given city, in any given country or continent on this beautiful planet, you can never shut down the entire party. You don't have access to that switch, no matter what you may think. The music will never stop. The heartbeat will never fade. The party will never end.

I am a raver, and this is my manifesto.

--------------------

OfflineShpongle1
Male

Loc: Above The Clouds Flag
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: Me_Roy]
    #15696479 - 01/21/12 07:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Me_Roy said:
Quote:

tokinman21 said:
Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:

How so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Wedding_Dance.JPG

Dude what the fuck is up with all the dicks in this picture?  Is this how it was back in the old days?  Bunch of guys standing around sporting wood in pants specifically made as to have a little bag in front so your erection can be noticed?

--------------------

There are more people imprisoned for the commission of drug offenses in the United States - close to 500,000 - than are incarcerated in England, France, Germany, and Japan for all crimes combined.  Examined in another way, the United States has 100,000 more people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses than all the countries of the European Union combined, despite the fact that the European Union has 100 million more citizens. :crankey: 

- "Drugs and Drug Policy: The Control of Consciousness Alteration, 2007.

Offlinetokinman21
Stranger
    #15697073 - 01/21/12 11:27 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Hajnal said:
It's more or less a Rave based on the mindset of the crowd attending. People used to goto Raves to come together as a culture that was extremely shunned, where the general theme and overall vibe was Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect. Anything and everything I've gone to in the past few years has been void of that vibe. People here and there may shout it or claim they abide by it, but really it's become an excuse to get really fucked up and dance to music.

It's become a party, not a collective. In the post below I'll post an epic poem that was written a long time ago that personally I think does a good job ad expressing that mindset, in comparison to what they've become, which is WHERES THE BASS DROP or OMG IM ROLLING SO HARD RIGHT NOW!!!1!1/

Maybe a party is better?  At the rave I was at, the majority of people still had that mindset, but it wasn't all about peace and love...it was also about energy, and leaving the outside world behind.  Maybe that's what we need now, not a dwelling on negativity through the bolstering of positivity, but simply on neutrality.  When it's just treated as a big party, there are thousands of people who come from all mindsets and walks of life, and everybody has their place on the floor where they fit in.  It is a more welcoming atmosphere for everybody rather than just a specific group.  It's no longer just about finding people like you, it's about enjoying and loving people who might not be like you.  It's the social medium of the future, my friend.  :hippie:

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: Shpongle1]
    #15697312 - 01/21/12 12:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shpongle1 said:

Dude what the fuck is up with all the dicks in this picture?  Is this how it was back in the old days?  Bunch of guys standing around sporting wood in pants specifically made as to have a little bag in front so your erection can be noticed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codpiece

This fashion needs to be brought back outside of larps and rennaisance faires.

--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:

Offlineshazoomies
Stranger
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: KremrBigSikter]
    #15697431 - 01/21/12 01:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ravin' ain't dead

:discorex:

But of course you're going to find similarities between rave and disco, it's the same common link that has been in every counterculture, and that is the rejection of social norms and ideals.

Edited by shazoomies (01/21/12 01:14 PM)

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
Re: Did Motown beat raves to the punch? [Re: Me_Roy]
    #15697450 - 01/21/12 01:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Me_Roy said:
Did movies beat TV to the punch?

Did Atari beat Playstation to the punch?

Did breastfeeding beat solid food to the punch?

Did 4th grade beat 5th grade to the punch?

I lolled SO FUCKING HARD I think i burst a capillary in my eye...
Breatmilk beat solid food to the punch?
GOLD>>>>GOLD I say!

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

OfflineHajnal

Folding@home Statistics
    #15698642 - 01/21/12 06:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tokinman21 said:
Quote:

Hajnal said:

Maybe a party is better?  At the rave I was at, the majority of people still had that mindset, but it wasn't all about peace and love...it was also about energy, and leaving the outside world behind.  Maybe that's what we need now, not a dwelling on negativity through the bolstering of positivity, but simply on neutrality.  When it's just treated as a big party, there are thousands of people who come from all mindsets and walks of life, and everybody has their place on the floor where they fit in.  It is a more welcoming atmosphere for everybody rather than just a specific group.  It's no longer just about finding people like you, it's about enjoying and loving people who might not be like you.  It's the social medium of the future, my friend.  :hippie:

That makes sense and I agree with you.. I just started running into a ton of d-bags and parties kept getting shut down because people can't handle their energy. A bunch of people from a bunch of mindsets all getting fucked up on a bunch of drugs the majority of them don't understand is just too much for me. Don't get me wrong I like parties from time to time, but I think there's a line separating raves and parties, and I prefer the rave side :x

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom