Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
soil/ground temps??
    #1568622 - 05/22/03 09:26 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

in trying to figure out why there seems to be more fruiting of mushies in the fall as oppose to the spring (at least this is what i have noticed), i got to thinking about soil temps being a factor.

with the temp, humidity, rainfall being the same between the two seasons, it is my totally uneducated hypothesis that soil temp or ground temps have something to do with shrooms fruiting....both active and in-active. is this true?

here in upstate south carolina, there are hardly ANY mushies fruiting right now. the temps are right, the humidity is right, god knows we have been getting slammed with rain, so is it possible that the soil/ground temps just haven't warmed enough for the mushrooms to fruit.

granted i start questioning my own reasoning when i go to a cow field and there are no shrooms fruiting on the dung...active or in-active....'cause i would assume (oh hell....newbie assumption...watch out!!) that dung loving mushies wouldn't care what the ground temps are.

any ideas?

If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: soil/ground temps?? [Re: subterranean]
    #1568671 - 05/22/03 10:10 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Undoubtedly the temperatures have something to do with it.

But note that the species are different as well. It might be better to think of them as fruiting in a season similar to the way various flowers come out at different times during the year.

In a recent talk by Dr. Jack States (he's great on mushroom ecology) he pointed out that both hypogeous fungi (truffles and false truffles) and mushrooms are mycorrhizal simultaneously on the same trees. In a given year, if the mushroom season is very good, the truffle season is not, and vice versa. He believes that this is due to supplies of nutrients from the trees to the fungi. Depending on the weather that year, the trees will tend to decide to donate nutrients in quantity to their mycorrhizal associates at different times. If it happens in summer when the weather is still warm then the mushroom mycelia benefit most and they fruit well. If it happens later when it's colder then the truffle mycelia benefit most and you have a good truffle season.

I guess I'm saying that there are probably more things affecting when a mushroom fruits than you can shake a stick at.

Happy mushrooming!

Happy mushrooming!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification