Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
Some more "PF Tek" questions...
    #2578077 - 04/19/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

When the PF Tek states that the lid band should be loose, should the lid just rest on the jar or should it be twisted just slightly?

The PF Tek states that the best time to remove the birthday cake from the jar is when the primordia appear on the cake. How can they become visible if the cake fits snuggly in the jar? Do they appear in the layer of dry vermiculite? How are they visible? Because the cakes are placed vermiculite side down, wouldn?t that damage the primordia?

The PF Tek says to spray the insides of the aquarium before the cakes are placed inside as well as the spray shield and lid. Should both sides of the spray shield be sprayed? Couldn?t the water droplets on the side facing the cakes possibly drip onto the fragile cakes?

How can you judge when the veil is about to break (for when you want to harvest them before it breaks)?

I thought I read somewhere that you can also harvest the mushrooms just after the veil breaks without losing much potency, is this correct or should I harvest the ones I plan to eat only before the veil breaks?

Should each mushroom be harvested individually or should they all be harvested at the same time?

I should be starting the PF Tek this week when the rest of my supplies arrive, until then I want to make sure I'm prepared.

Thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineboomer420
liquid blue
Male
Loc: show me
Re: Some more "PF Tek" questions... [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #2578118 - 04/19/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

your makin it a lot harder than it really is, just do what the tek says

--------------------
Shit house mouse

InvisibleLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#2578122 - 04/19/04 01:54 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

When the PF Tek states that the lid band should be loose, should the lid just rest on the jar or should it be twisted just slightly?

I used foil for the lids instead, I found it easier than having to poke holes in the metal tops. Use 8 layers of foil, so that means take two pieces of foil and fold each one twice, each being 4 layers of foil.

Quote:

The PF Tek states that the best time to remove the birthday cake from the jar is when the primordia appear on the cake. How can they become visible if the cake fits snuggly in the jar?

The pins become visible after the mycelium has fully colonized the mixture of BRF and vermiculite. Some strains, I've found, have difficulty pinning inside the jar - so just birth when the cake is fully colonized.

Quote:

Couldn’t the water droplets on the side facing the cakes possibly drip onto the fragile cakes?

I never made the same type of setup used in the PF-Tek, I actually used a 50-gallon bin with wet perlite at the bottom for creating humidity. Yes, water droplets falling onto the cakes actually is quite a hazard, so be careful with the amount you're spraying, or just use the same method I did.

Quote:

How can you judge when the veil is about to break (for when you want to harvest them before it breaks)?

You can't really tell an approximate time, but it will be pretty obvious - the cap will start pulling upward, away from the stem. Honestly, I don't think there really is much of a difference in potency when it comes to closed cap or open cap - taking 2 grams of closed caps one night then taking 2 grams of open caps really wouldn't be too different in comparison, IMO. But hey, the closed cap do sell better.

Quote:

Should each mushroom be harvested individually or should they all be harvested at the same time? 

Sometimes on your first flush, they will all mature at different rates - In this occurence, I usually just picked the ones that were ready and let the others finish. After all was done, another dunk and back into the chamber. I highly reccomend getting into casings after you get the PF-Tek down, its much more efficient. Feel free to send me a PM if you have anymore questions (about casings mainly?).

Also, I was wondering if you were planning on setting up an incubator? You definitely should, it greatly increased my colonization time and helps to prevent contaminants from taking hold. I reccomend this TEK - http://fungifun.org (PF TEK for simple minds, something like that)... Its great. Make sure to keep those ratios on the ingredients right -

1/2 cup verm
1/4 cup BRF
water added to the mixture should bring the vermiculite to field capacity. (about 1/2 cup)

Good luck! :smile:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2578136 - 04/19/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

1. Put the lid on normally.

2. Wait a week after the outside of the cake finishes.

3. Cakes are way tought then you think. They can handle a few drops of water or more.

4. Just as it starts to tear. he he he.....you'll know :grin:

5. Just after, just before not that big a deal. Not gonna be a noticable difference.

6. At the same time if possiable but you can cut them with a razor as they mature for the real early ones.

Here ya go

I know this belongs in the growlog forum but it seems more would see it here that can use it. That and I?m sure most have seen it already but maby somebody can use this to help them out.

Grow Log
Tek : PF
Strain : South American [SA]
Spores : Came from homemade prints. 36 total jars to be injected.
Substrate :Brown Rice Flour [BRF] and Vermiculite [Verm]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10:15 PM 3/4/03 : Project is started. Jar prep is just putting small holes in the lids for the spore syringe and then taping them closed until inoculation. Tape used is the standard black electrical tape. First batch of jars is mixed. The mix used is 2 parts verm, 1 part water, and 1 part brf.  [ This mix is the max fruiting formula by PF.] Mix is put into 1/2 pint canning jars lightly, not packed in, and left it airy. Put substrate in until it reaches the threads of the jar, then add dry verm the rest of the way.
Jars are PCd at 10psi or 240f for a period of 45 minutes. Then jars were left to sit overnight to cool.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/23611-pic_1.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

8:39 PM 3/5/2003 : First batch of jars injected. (24 jars)

10:04 AM 3/6/2003 : Incubator is running to low 77F. Going to turn it up today.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/69842-Pic_2_.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

5:45 PM 3/6/2003 : Second batch of jars is in the PC will be injected tomorrow. Turned up incubator runs at 83F. 86F is the best and if the incubator is 83F and myc growing in the jars is suppose to create a little heat I figure this should work out well.

1:11 PM 3/7/2003 : Second batch of jars is done. (12 jars)

12:10 PM 3/9/2003 : Jars are doing good, no signs of contams

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/74102-Pic_3_.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

2:54 AM 3/19/2003 : Tape removed from the holes today and coffee filters put over the top of the jars for added protection. Holes were opened so the CO2 in the jars could escape. I gave 12 jars to a friend who kept fucking up. 24 jar?s about 75%done.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/89166-Pic_4.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

12:13 PM 3/22/2003 : Well it?s Saturday and the jars will probably be done by the 25th. So it was 36 jars. 12 were given to a friend, 24 done by Tuesday.

10:26 PM 3/23/2003 : 15 jars were done enough to put into dunk. I dunk and cold shock before birthing and after every flush.  The other 9 jars have a spot the size of a pea that has to be covered so I?ll do those on the 25th.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/81008-pic_5.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

7:17 PM 3/24/2003 : 15 jars put into the pod. Put in and put a layer of moist verm on top. With geolite I just put the cakes on it. With some other chambers I put the cake on a lid filled with verm. This is done to give the shrooms on the bottom and the top of the cake some added moisture.
The other 9 jars just finished so I?m going to give them a couple more days to make sure the middle of the cake is done.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/68648-Pic_6.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

4:57 PM 3/27/2003 : 5 More cakes birthed today, 4 left going to do them tomorrow or  3/29/2003

3:58 PM 3/29/2003 : Well I lost another cake. My wife?s little 1 cake pod made from a 2 liter and a small fish pump and a little geolite used up her last cake so I gave her a SA to grow. The last 3 are in the cold shock dunk.
So the total is 36 jars done all colonized with no contams. 12 given to a friend, 1 to the wife, 23 mine

12:08 PM 3/30/2003 : Last of jars put in 

12:02 PM 3/31/2003 : The first 15 cakes are pinning nicely and some have shrooms coming from the bottom.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/38858-Pic_7.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

11:01 AM 4/3/2003 : Things look to be going well.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/55988-Pic_8_.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

1:02 AM 4/4/2003 : Took the first flush from four of the cakes. More will be done later today.

<a href="https://files.shroomery.org/files/040103-23/36336-Pic_9.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

5/8/2003 : Total 23 cakes 164 grams dried.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineDominar
Stranger

#15684015 - 01/18/12 03:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry to dredge up and old thread but it came up in the search results.

But what's with the SOPA pics?  Is the host site making a point?  As far as I know SOPA hasnt passed yet.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale