Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUnknownK
Stranger
Moisture on inside of jar walls after sterilzation
    #15666045 - 01/14/12 04:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I just attempted my first steam sterilization today as I couldn't find masking tape in the store near me I made do with covering (badly) the jar lid holes with some sticky notes and then covering that over with some foil. It's been a couple of hours since I finished the sterilzation and there are water droplets on the inside of the jar walls so I presume that water from outside still got into the jars?

For the sterilization I tore up a hand towel, fitted it into a pot creating a couple of layers and then placed the jars on top of that. I'm going to attempt to make a batch of another five jars and this time try putting foil on top and then tightening it around the jars with some rubber bands to stop steam from rising up them. Does this sound like a good idea.

And does the first batch seem drenched or should I wait a few more hours and see if how the jars look after?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSober
Its getting stranger.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Behind you
Re: Moisture on inside of jar walls after sterilzation [Re: UnknownK]
    #15666097 - 01/14/12 04:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what kind of substrate are you using? Usually when after im done sterilizing  my jars there is some water in them just from the grain having some in it and that escaping during the sterilization process. But it sounds like your not using a pressure cooker? And if there is a wallgreens around you they carry this 3M tape that is micropore (like a medical tape kinds, they have it in the back with first aid i think.) and that would probably be better then masking tape or sticky notes.

--------------------
I have no right to call myself one who knows. I was one who seeks, and I still am, but I no longer seek in the stars or in books; I’m beginning to hear the teachings of my blood pulsing within me. My story isn’t pleasant, it’s not sweet and harmonious like the invented stories; it tastes of folly and bewilderment, of madness and dream, like the life of all people who no longer want to lie to themselves.
~Hermann Hesse, Demia

OfflineISOfantastic
Mad Scientist Wannabe
Male

Loc: Firmly planted in reality
Re: Moisture on inside of jar walls after sterilzation [Re: Sober]
    #15666119 - 01/14/12 04:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

A good idea is to grab yourself a cheap PC from a department store, a small one will run 20-40US.
Best investment you can make in this hobby!
If you want to know if the cakes are too wet, best thing to do is knock them up and see what happens. 
If you don't want to risk it, just make new cakes.
Two layers of foil wrapped tight should be sufficient to keep steam out.
:thumbup:

OfflineUnknownK
Stranger
Re: Moisture on inside of jar walls after sterilzation [Re: ISOfantastic]
    #15666140 - 01/14/12 04:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm doing a pf tek in which I mixed about 500 ml of vermiculite, 250 ml water and 250 brown rice flour together in order to make 5 jars worth and then topped it with dry vermiculite. The pot I'm using a basic one I think with a hole in the top for letting steam out which I also put a sticky note over.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate