Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCynosure
allow me to be your guide.
 User Gallery

Expanding or narrowing consciousness?
    #15662854 - 01/13/12 09:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It has always been my opinion that psychedelics expand consciousness and that alcoholic beverages narrow it.  While the majority of my basis comes from personal experience, I've read and heard numerous accounts of similar opinion from others.  I stand by my opinion.  The proof, in my eyes, is that psychedelics don't allow me to focus on any one entity, thought train, or emotion but rather I focus on things as a whole, unit, a group of things, or an assault of emotions while alcohol causes me to close in on one particular entity, thought train, or emotion at a time.

There's no doubt that psychedelics dissolve the ego and that alcohol empowers it.  This is seemingly a given that is easily observed by one's confidence in the self after drinking, improved social skills, separation from others, etc. as well as by the uncertainty in the self, characteristic of humbleness, feeling of oneness with others, etc. produced by psychedelics.

I recently read two books (the latest of which was "Cleansing the Doors of Perception" by Hutson Smith) that claimed that psychedelics do restrict one's consciousness rather than expanding it.  There weren't many experiences, observations, or thoughts tied to either instance of this claim.

I can't help but wonder if anyone else has this view.  What do you think?  Do psychedelics expand or narrow consciousness? Explain.

:psychsplit:

--------------------
"You can peel it [language] off the ceiling and make it dance in front of you" - McKenna

<3 .

Edited by Cynosure (01/13/12 09:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewildchild68
lion in a coma
 User Gallery

Re: Expanding or narrowing consciousness? [Re: Cynosure]
    #15662886 - 01/13/12 09:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't even think that's a valid hypothesis, they expand the fuck out of it.

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_Overlord

Loc: Temporal Singularity
Re: Expanding or narrowing consciousness? [Re: wildchild68]
    #15663010 - 01/13/12 10:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think they expand it, so much as they de-constrict it. We're all open-minded creative zen masters as kids. Our minds just gradually become more specialized and mechanized as we grow older, and slip into galvanizing "easy" thought patterns.

OfflineSnotfish
Striped
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Expanding or narrowing consciousness? [Re: Fungus_Overlord]
    #15663617 - 01/14/12 01:28 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_Overlord said:
I don't think they expand it, so much as they de-constrict it. We're all open-minded creative zen masters as kids. Our minds just gradually become more specialized and mechanized as we grow older, and slip into galvanizing "easy" thought patterns.

wow, that was worded perfectly.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order