Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Lou Reed
    #1566217 - 05/21/03 02:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

any lou reed/velvet underground fans out there? i imagine there are a few. I cant get enough of these guys..

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Lou Reed [Re: ODhaze]
    #1566241 - 05/21/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, Lou Reed and the VU are great! :cool:

Lou Reed has a new album out based on the writing of Edgar Allen Poe. I want to get it! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Re: Lou Reed [Re: Papaver]
    #1566261 - 05/21/03 02:23 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i heard about that new album.

I remember the first time i heard his stuff, i found my moms Lou Reed in the 70's "Different Times" cd. Some songs were a little "not my generation" but overall the cd rocked and led me on to becoming a full out fan. I love Coney Island baby, one of my favorite songs.

I eventually bought his transformer cd, thats a good one too,

Ive got a "best of" cd of the VU but tons of their mp3's so i guess it makes up for it. i was listening to them when i made this post, lol

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

Offlinesmoke6969
stoned

Loc: USA
    #1566315 - 05/21/03 02:43 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I like a little Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground.  I remember the first time I ever heard The Velvet Underground wit Nico and thining "Oh wow this is who sings all these great songs i have heard before!"  And take a walk on the wild side is a good song.  I love the lyric "and she never lost her head, even when she was giving head! " that always makes me chuckle  :laugh: 

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#1566319 - 05/21/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A number of years ago I picked up a great VU boxed set. It had the content of all of their albums, plus a lot of demos and out-takes.

I'm a sucker for the sound of the early VU -- that sort of driving, metallic, drone -- the very antithesis to the light, airy, "jangly" sound of the Byrds or the Beatles of that same period.

Lou's a great poet and performer too. I really like his phrasing. One of my favorite albums of his, for poetry, come from the late '80s and is called "Magic and Loss." It is a collection of ruminations on the deaths of his friends, and cancer vs. medical technology. I highly recommend it! :cool:

Yeah, the "Transformer," 1970s period was great too. It's all good stuff!

He did a cover of an old Jay and the Amercians tune, "This Magic Moment," for the David Lynch movie, "Lost Highway," and being a fan of that late-50s/early-60s period of rock and roll, I was really impressed by the way he performed it. I would like to see him do an entire album of covers from that period. I think that would be cool! :laugh:

Also, I don't know if they are still together or not, but he married musician/performance-artist Laurie Anderson a number of years ago, which is cool in itself. Talk about your New york, avant-garde, power couple! :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1566368 - 05/21/03 03:06 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i prefer reed/vu stuff up into the mid- to late-70's, i guess. but that reunion concert was kinda neat too. i really like the early vu stuff best.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1566457 - 05/21/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I love The Velvet Underground. My favorite album by far is their third album from 1969 called "The Velvet Underground". Such a beautiful piece of work. Really mellow.

As far as Lou's solo stuff, I have "Transformer". It's a really good album. I doubt i'd like any of his other solo works.

My favorite line from "Wild Side" is "Jackie Is Just Speeding Away,Thought She Was James Dean For A Day". That's how I feel on speed. James Dean.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Lou Reed [Re: Bilge]
    #1566465 - 05/21/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

That box set that Papaver mentioned is fucking great. Loaded would have been a much stronger album had some of those out-takes been included..."Ride Into the Sun", the original "Satellite of Love"...riches. The 1st CD full of alternate takes of the songs from VU and Nico was a bit much tho...do we really need eight versions of "All Tomorrows Parties"?...overkill for sure, but fuck it -- it's the Velvets...altho' "Prominent Men" is worth hearing...Reeds Dylan influence was never clearer...in a good way...

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#1566969 - 05/21/03 06:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I bought his new album, The Raven, today!  :laugh:

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but so far it's pretty cool, and I would highly recommend it! :cool:

It has Ornette Coleman on it, and Laurie Anderson and Steve Buscemi. Willem DaFoe does a real impassioned reading of Reed's wickedly cruel re-write of Poe's classic poem, The Raven! All in all, so far, I think it's a real good album. Parts of it are like a really cool book-on-tape, and other parts have some really rockin' songs! :cool:

--------------------

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #1567065 - 05/21/03 07:34 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a fan

OfflineIntheneed
Level 5--beenthere done that.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Spirit Ditch
Re: Lou Reed [Re: funkymonk]
    #1567471 - 05/21/03 09:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I love it sooo much.. listening to it when I saw this post... my favorite song is chelsea girls ..

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: Lou Reed [Re: Intheneed]
    #1567511 - 05/21/03 09:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i'm downloading some velvet underrground right now, i'm working on the VU album. I've almost got all of the self titled cd, but i can't seem to get "the murder mystery" which happens to be my favorite velvet underground song, so that sucks. That song is probably the tripiest thing they did. I would say my favorite album of theirs is "white light/white heat" though. One of my favorite bands.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Re: Lou Reed [Re: Intheneed]
    #1567528 - 05/21/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

glad to see so many other enthusiastic fans, im definatley going to check out that new cd Papaver mentioned,

i was just listening to venus in furs, that song is pretty cool, something about the music thats just kindof hypnotizing, it brings you into a whole new scene in your mind (it does for me at least)

i recently saw a special about music and they had lou reed make a commentary,mostly he just complained about people thinking he was dead. his house was pretty cool though, he has an all white room all devoted to listening to music and writing.

heres a quote:

" yeah bowie is cool and all, but whenever we get drunk he starts thinking he is ziggy" -Lou Reed

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: Lou Reed [Re: thestringphish]
    #1567536 - 05/21/03 09:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well i'm tired and sunfried, but pls allow me to get my licks in....i have the 1st velvet underground and Whitelight/white heat(both with John Cale), plus Loaded...........and two live albums, "max's kansas city" (mono) the 1969 velvet undergroung live album(2 record set)....i also have the first Lou reed album(1972). i got rid of transformer cauz i thought it was a worthless piece of shit.......i have Berlin, Coney island baby, "rock and roll animal" and Lou reed live(of course) as well as street hassle, "the belles", and "growing up in public"(1981).....i also had the chance to see him live in october of 75, April 75 and Oct 76......good stuff man :grin: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Lou Reed [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1567613 - 05/21/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

D'oh! :crazy:

I just noticed a sticker on the wrapping for the new cd that says, it is also available in a limited edition double cd, and I looked it up on his web-site, and it has a bunch of more fucking songs! :shocked:

I guess I'm going back to the record store tomorrow to try and negotiate an upgrade...

If any of you are planning on buying it, look for the double cd version!

--------------------

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
    #1567672 - 05/21/03 10:34 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i hate that, i did the same thing with phil lesh and friends "there and back again" and Gov't Mule's "the deep end vol.2" but i just kept the ones I got and downloaded the extra songs.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Lou Reed [Re: thestringphish]
    #1570736 - 05/22/03 10:43 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

No,I HATE VU (see avatar).

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Lou Reed [Re: monoamine]
    #1570759 - 05/22/03 10:53 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Today I went and exchanged Lou Reed's, The Raven, single CD I just bought for the limited edition 2 CD set!

The girl that helped me was very nice. Her skin white as the purest alabaster, and her hair black as a raven's wing. She looked at me through two little buttons for eyes, resting above a crude half smile, drawn on a piece of cardboard, and affixed to her face with two aging pieces of cellophane tape.

The scarlet ribbons in her hair were still red with the blood of her own birth, and as my thoughts drifted off, up, and o'er, the giant cardboard cut outs of The White Stripes, I pondered the wrecked ships of past loves -- their hulls broken on the jagged rocks of distant opiate shores under cocaine skies -- and at once, suddenly, and startlingly, feeling the tell tale bump of my own heart, under my polo shirt, I found myself babbling and rambling aloud...

"Be that our sign of parting, bird or fiend!" I shrieked, upstarting--
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul has spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken!--quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!"
Beyotch!

But, I digress...

I wanted to talk to you all about the double album versus the single album. If you like Lou Reed, and you like Edgar Allen Poe, then get the double album -- it is well worth it! :cool:

It has so much more material, and it really works much better as a concept with the extra material. I becomes truly interesting piece of audio theater. It's like a book on tape gone bad. The more I hear it, the more I like it.

However, this is not a music album, per se, it is a sonic and poetic experiment. It's not meant to be danced to. It's meant to be listened to, in a dark room, late at night, while under the dreamy influence of some laudanum...

And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadows on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted--nevermore!

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#1571250 - 05/23/03 01:31 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Groovy! Tis indeed quite creative. :grin:

That sounds like a pretty interesting album. I'll have to look into this Lou Reed character some time. I've heard a lot about him. Well, his name, at least. :wink:

The sleep experiment failed, so I decided to check this out. Now for the second attempt!   

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Lou Reed [Re: Ulysees]
    #1571271 - 05/23/03 01:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, the top couple of paragraphs were things that popped into my mind on the drive home, so I thought I'd share them with you all... :wink:

PS: I'm listening to that album right now, and tripping on DXM, so I'm kinda havin' a good time... :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale