Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   PureVPN PureVPN   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Appreciating the mushrooms in my area
    #1566214 - 05/21/03 04:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I decided after doing much reading about mushrooms to take a look around my area (NY/NJ area) in the woods to see what mushrooms I could find (active or not). The only thing I could find was a small patch of yellowish-white mushrooms growing right next to a compost pile (with gills of the same color). I read that white gills automatically means they shouldn?t be considered. What I?m curious about are white gills considered a sign of poison? If so, is there a reason for this?

Anyway, I enjoyed appreciating the beauty that I usually take for granted. I?m interested in learning about the mushrooms around me, even if they aren?t hallucinogenic? (although that would be nice too!)

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Appreciating the mushrooms in my area [Re: Twirling]
    #1566421 - 05/21/03 05:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

White gills are often used as a warning for beginners primarily because of the genus Amanita. Amanitas cause more deaths than any other mushrooms in the world. Another white spored genus with deadly members is Lepiota.

Among the white spored mushrooms there are good edibles and nasty poisons. And none of them are active in the psilocybin sense.

If you want them identified, you need to pick them, then write up a description and post it. Photographs are helpful (a picture is worth 1000 words).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Appreciating the mushrooms in my area [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1572320 - 05/23/03 04:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok! Thanks for the info. I finally got around to going for a walk in my local park, which has quite a few trails leading through a forest and into a field. I figured it would be a good day for mushroom hunting, since it's rained the past 2 days (and about 55 degrees out), but I only found 2 small patches of the same type of mushroom I found the other day (at least to my eyes). I looked near oak and pine trees and whatever else I could find, and saw practically nothing. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Here are two scans I made of the mushroom I found. Just curious as to what these are, since they appear to be fairly common. The gills are off-white/slightly brown and the cap is a beige color. I found them near a compost pile next to a pine tree. No bruising. This is about as good of a scan I could get, so I apologize if it's no good.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1572409 - 05/23/03 04:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The scan's not bad. It would be helpful to see the top of the cap. A spore print is something you should consider on any mushroom you pick, and it would be good for this one.

At first glance it looks like an Agaricus, the same genus as the mushrooms you buy at the store. That's a difficult genus to identify in.

Another couple of things you should check on with this specimen. Please cut it in half (the stem, too) vertically and scrape the inside and watch for color changes due to the bruising. Color changes can take up to an hour. The other thing is to smell the mushroom and tell us what it smells like. Places where the odor is often stronger are the base of the stem and top of the stem where it joins with the cap. Since you've separated the cap and stem, make sure you check the odor of both parts. If there doesn't seem to be any odor (or all you can smell is earth), try crushing the base of the stem with your fingers and smelling that part again.

Let us know what you find.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1572458 - 05/23/03 04:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's been over an hour and there are no color changes from spliting it in half. I gave both the cap and stem a whiff and it smells just like the type of mushrooms you'd buy in the store. I don't have access to the scanner anymore, but I'll remember to scan in the top and do a spore print for next time.

Thanks for all the help! I feel well on my way to starting a new hobbie!

--------------------

OfflineOJ
old hand
    #1572480 - 05/23/03 05:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i would agree

agaricus

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Appreciating the mushrooms in my area [Re: OJ]
    #1572544 - 05/23/03 05:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That seems awful long stem for an agaricus?

Maybe I am wrong.

But all the Agairicus speceis I have photographed had shrot stems.

mj
More likely a Stropharia?

What do you think?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Appreciating the mushrooms in my area [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1572642 - 05/23/03 06:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I agree that it seems tall for most Agaricus. The gill color doesn't look right to me for Stropharia. It sounds rather drab colored ("beige") for most Stropharias, too.

But it could fit reasonably well into either genus. Without a microscope we probably won't be able to definitively decide.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1572779 - 05/23/03 07:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just a little update, I put the mushroom in a baggie with some wax paper and the spore print turned out brown. I don't know if that helps at all. Not really worth scanning, but if anyone is really curouis I'll go pick another one and get a better quality spore print and scan the top.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1572853 - 05/23/03 07:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for the update. Could you describe the color a bit more precisely, please?

Unfortunately, brown describes an impressive range of colors. The way most people find best is to desribe it in terms of common items or materials. For example, cinnamon brown or dark chocolate brown.

Of course, a photo or scan would be a good way to pass along the information, too.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1572908 - 05/23/03 07:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I held up the spore print to my monitor while using Photo Shop and eyeballed the color. There is a slight gold tint to it also. This is the color-->

I'll try and get a better spore print scanned in as soon as I can.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1573437 - 05/23/03 11:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The main thing we need from a spore print is the color. Given that spore print color, I would put it into Agaricus.

It keys out as being similar to Agaricus chionodermus, described in David Arora's key as being erect and slender, growing mainly under pine trees. He says it's found in the west, so yours may not be that species, but one similar to it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   PureVPN PureVPN   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification