Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLarz
Stranger
how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ?
    #15661048 - 01/13/12 04:06 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I am fairly new to growing mushrooms. I have inoculated some logs with shiitake plugs last year and hope to have some mushrooms this spring from that. I think I ended up paying something like $40 for 300 plugs when you include the mailing costs. I seemed to have heard something about creating your own plugs by soaking and boiling dowels and then putting them in a plastic bag with some grain spawn. I am interested in trying this and finding out more on how to do that ..

I am also interested in any books. I have a book, but it's about cultures in petri dishes and very involved. This grain spawn thing seems a little easier and worth trying perhaps ..

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

Loc: Italy Flag
Re: how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ? [Re: Larz]
    #15661098 - 01/13/12 04:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

You can make plugs easily, soaking dowels for a while, then sterilizing them in a jar, and inoculating them with some grain spawn.

The best book on mushroom cultivation is GGMM, you can find it here

http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Gourmet-Medicinal-Mushrooms-Stamets/dp/1580081754

--------------------

OfflineLarz
Stranger
Re: how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ? [Re: atricoz]
    #15672549 - 01/16/12 08:34 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hey thanks,

Does that book cover creating plugs from grains spawn ?

How long will shiitake mushrooms pop if you inoculate logs from plugs created using that method ?

Also, can you recommend a good supplier of grain spawn ?

Thanks alot ..

Offlinemarkalbob
Stranger....than most
Male User Gallery
Loc: Madison, WI
    #15672600 - 01/16/12 09:12 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Larz said:
Hey thanks,

1 Does that book cover creating plugs from grains spawn ?

2 How long will shiitake mushrooms pop if you inoculate logs from plugs created using that method ?

3 Also, can you recommend a good supplier of grain spawn ?

Thanks alot ..

1 I believe it does, but you also just got 99% of your answer...if you can handle grain spawn, you can handle plug spawn.

2 this will depend on the wood used, inoculation rate, temps, etc.....9 months-2 yrs is probably a fair starting guess, it could be as little as 6 months with high inoculation and warm incubation.

3  if you're looking for dowels too, why not just buy dowel spawn?  It would save you several steps, and if you wanted to do more doewls you could sterilize a few hundred dowels in a jar with a bit of bran, and just toss 2 or 3 of the dowels you bought in there instead of buying grain spawn and innoculating all your dowels.  in either case, Field and Forest, Sporeworks, and Fungi Perfecti all have dowel spawn I believe, as well as grain or sawdust spawn.

Offlinebakenast
Muffen Stuffer
 User Gallery

Re: how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ? [Re: markalbob]
    #15673221 - 01/16/12 12:48 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

When i was gonna wanting to make plugs from grain spawn last year i had a heck of a time finding out how to do it properly so i tried this and it works great everytime.

1.get wooden dowel plugs from mcfeelys.com there cheap there..
2. soak your plugs by submerging them in water for 24-48 hours."i add gypusm to the water soak" not necessary though..
3. PC like your would grains.
4. just do GTG by dumping a lil bit of colonized grain's onto sterilized dowels.  In a week or so your dowels will be fully colonized.. you can then either refrigerate for future use or drill holes in logs and tap in and seal with melted wax..

OfflineM8M
Stranger
Re: how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ? [Re: bakenast]
    #15674610 - 01/16/12 07:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

You will get dowel pins cheaper here
http://www.wood-dowel.com/store/70-mushroom-spawn-plugs

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ? [Re: M8M]
    #15674627 - 01/16/12 07:21 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

YOu can also use sawdust spawn instead of grain spawn to inoculate the dowels, and sawdust spawn is very easy and quick to make.  Have fun.
:headbanger:

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

OfflineLarz
Stranger
Re: how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ? [Re: Aleon]
    #15675167 - 01/16/12 09:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I saw on Fungi Perfecti this Sawdust Palm Inoculator for inoculating logs with sawdust, but the thing costs $34. I am wondering if that is a better way to inoculate logs or is it just as easy to make dowels from sawdust/grain ?

If I buy sawdust or grain spawn can I keep the stuff alive in my refrigerator for an extended period of time so that I can keep perpetuating it ?

Say I inoculate a bunch of dowels from sawdust or grain and use some of those to inoculate logs and keep the rest in the refrigerator, then a couple of months latter could I make more dowels and use some of those but always keep some spawn on hand in the fridge or wherever ? I am guessing maybe I would have to try to get all the mold from any old food out of the fridge (or maybe keep the spawn well sealed), but I am curious how long I could potentially keep spawn going that way ?

OfflineTunnel_Bunny
Medicinal Mushy Newby

Loc: United States of America
Re: how to create shiitake plugs from grain spawn ? [Re: atricoz]
    #21731284 - 05/28/15 07:52 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

how can i sterilize plugs without a PC?

--------------------

PE6

Offlinet3chnobily
Strangest
Male

Loc: As Seen In VT
    #21731318 - 05/28/15 08:19 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

" I saw on Fungi Perfecti this Sawdust Palm Inoculator for inoculating logs with sawdust, but the thing costs $34. I am wondering if that is a better way to inoculate logs or is it just as easy to make dowels from sawdust/grain ?"

use a funnel to hold the spawn and ram it into the hole with a dowel

you can probably get away with pasteurizing plugs in a mycobag but sawdust spawn is better in every way.

Edited by t3chnobily (05/28/15 08:22 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale