Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblekake Happy Birthday!
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Math & Creativity
    #5390039 - 03/11/06 06:36 PM (18 years, 12 days ago)

I'm trying to figure out a sort of "which came first, the chicken or the egg" problem...

I've always been good at math and consider myself highly creative. I see a definite tie between the two. My question is, do you think my math skills are a direct result of the creativity genes or is it vice versa? Or are they both separate mental skills with some obvious shared ground? The only thing I think about is that Math is very concrete and Creativity is all about thinking outside the box. So whatdya think?

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Math & Creativity [Re: kake]
    #5390734 - 03/11/06 11:59 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

They're separate. Im creative and talented musically and artistically but I suck at math. I hate it and I hope I never have to see another math problem for the rest of my life.

I love to look at fractals but when it comes to doing math, well.. I can't.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#5401616 - 03/14/06 11:35 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Math is logical, based on careful thought

creativity is emotional, based upon instinct.

They are almost complete opposites. You can find Mathematical patterns in music or art but what makes a good peice of art work is the emotion that inspired it and what emotions it inspires.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

OfflineAKSE
My bruises areblue
 User Gallery

Loc: Ak
Re: Math & Creativity [Re: daytripper23]
    #5401624 - 03/14/06 11:39 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Yes they are most certainly seperate.

I am not good at math, nor do I like it at all. I love science. I hate math; it straight up sucks.

However I am very creative in writing, and just creativity in general. I cant see how math and creativity could have anything to do with eachother.

Like others said, math is logical and is a problem with a solution. Creativity has to do with your personality.

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5402328 - 03/15/06 07:31 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

I think that although work from different parts of our brain. THey can inspire eachother.

Although they are complete opposites in my opinion, I do feel there is a place where they can gel, and if you find that balance you can really take off.

My favorite parts of the pictures I draw are the mathematically inspired ones, not that I fully understand the math behind it, I just feel it has some beautiful images in it.

I like to believe that all opposites, in a sense, can be meshed, and that there is an equilibrium which really benefits both. CONGRATS to you if you have found it

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
Re: Math & Creativity [Re: peepeepottypants]
    #5404789 - 03/15/06 05:46 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

I've always have been good at math, and I like doing it too. But I'm not creative at all when it comes to art. I kind of get creative in writing but I don't think math and creativity are really tied together. Math is more logical thinking, and creativity is emotional I guess(I don't really know I'm not very creative).

Edited by aDoS (03/15/06 05:48 PM)

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: Math & Creativity [Re: BoneMan]
    #5405294 - 03/15/06 07:20 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Does that mean I have retarded genes or something?
I have always HATED (and never been good at) math and anything artistic

hmmm...I like guns and drugs

Pluto

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Math & Creativity [Re: Tien]
    #5405604 - 03/15/06 08:17 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

:yesnod:

Either that or you just have different interests  :tongue2:

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Math & Creativity [Re: peepeepottypants] * 1
    #5407946 - 03/16/06 11:47 AM (18 years, 7 days ago)

I'd say it's pretty naive to say they are different. Math itself is very creative and the ones that are the best at math are unbelievably creative. Do you think Einstein was creative? Damn straight he was. I'd say it's old hat to pretend like "math" is just some special thing that some people can do and others can't. It's just practice.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: Math & Creativity [Re: freddurgan]
    #5416433 - 03/18/06 04:16 PM (18 years, 5 days ago)

I think that what generally defines math is logic and is nothing creative. And what defines creativity is emotion and personality, nothing logical. But also you need a little of each in most professions. Like you said Einstein was not merely a logicician. He needed a level of creativity to create a hypothesis on, and the rest of it was largely applying logic. The same Can be seen in the opposite spectrum. A piece of Art is going to have mathematical patterns as a basis, but it depends on the artist to apply his creativity and emotion to this to make it a peice of art. Otherwise it is just boring.......

This conversation kind of reminds me of my thoughts on electronic music. I listen to and enjoy alot of electronic music, most of the ambient sort. I rememeber that i used to be afraid of electronica because with rising technologies we can create any sound we want to with the computer with exact precision, and i thought that it would replace my instruments, guitar and piano, as the only marketable music. Dont get me wrong, marketablity is not even close to the reason i am studying music, but if I could support myself financially through music in any way, I know i could always be happy.
Anyways, now i realize that the precision found in electronica is what turns me off to it at times. Although electronic composition of music has just as much creativity as manual music, Everything is to exact, from note to note, that it loses a matter of feeling. Because of this electronic musicians acutally make miniscule "errors" in the beats of drums for example. But this will never be as effective as manual musicians ability to create this disorder naturally, through inspiration of the divine. Thats what i believe at least.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Edited by daytripper23 (03/19/06 03:44 AM)

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

Re: Math & Creativity [Re: daytripper23] * 2
    #15643276 - 01/10/12 12:11 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I know this thread is old as shit, but I just had to comment.

To those saying that math requires no creativity, you're dead wrong. You have to be extremely creative to get anywhere in math. The only difference is that math is using creativity in a logical framework. Music, art are just pure creativity with little to no logical framework. Yes there are general ideas; the 5th resolves to the dominant. Some colors go together, etc. But I can give an example that breaks every rule in art/music/etc.

There is no "truth" in art. Math is all truths and proofs.

If you get into higher maths, it takes a TON of creativity to do some problems, especially with proofs.

Basic arithmetic/algebra is just algorithms. But some proofs in modern algebra/analysis are so off the wall it's hard to believe anyone could be that creative.

Anyway, sorry for the huge bump. I just had to say this.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom