Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSaffron
Stranger
What to do now....(post posible heat damage).
    #1563197 - 05/20/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don't know what to do now, I think my mycelium is dead but I am not sure. I have always found all mushrooms interesting but this was the first time I have ever tried to grow any. I used the 'Shroom Wizards Grow Guide' because before I found the shroomery there was a few web sites that raved about it and I didn't know better. It was a simplified BRF tek that was working alright until a mishap occurred.

I innoculated using a spore print and in 8 days I saw growth coming down the sides and shortly after many of more of my jars showed growth 2 exceptionaly well. Then tragedy struck, a thermostat problem caused very hot air to be blown on them for probably a couple hours. I moved them and then checked the tempature of the area and it said 96 unfortunately it was a crapy digital that only goes that high so it could have been much hotter I am not sure. Any way I looked to see how the mycelium looked. In one jar one small growth spot got slightly smaller and another about the size of a pencil eraser had became much clearer and about half its original size, so there was some obvious heat damage. The thing is however the majority of the jars didn't apear to have been damaged. I didnt notice any growth after 3 days so I used a marker to outline where the growth is and now its been 2 days since that and I dont see any growth. So my question is should I give up on them now and start again or wait longer to see if anything starts moving again? If I should give up should I through it out should I perhaps throw my substrate/mycelium in some a bin of steer manure in my backyard, or do something else with it?

I also read somewhere that if you innocuate on a pulled out oven rack the rising heat with prevent contaims from falling is this a bad idea? Because I did that and I didnt get any contamination but now I worry that might of cause too little oxagen to be in the jars?

Any suggestions whould be appreciated on where go from here. I will be using PF tek next time.

Thanks,
Saffron

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: What to do now....(post posible heat damage). [Re: Saffron]
    #1563206 - 05/20/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

small sentencess

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: What to do now....(post posible heat damage). [Re: fugu]
    #1563442 - 05/20/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wait them ..and start again

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Offlineapuffball
The omniscientfool

Loc: wherever i go
Re: What to do now....(post posible heat damage). [Re: fugu]
    #1563590 - 05/20/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Seriously just ask wat u need to and spare us the stories, jus playin...do yo thang

--------------------
Are things meant to happen, or are we meant to make things happen?

Offlineapuffball
The omniscientfool

Loc: wherever i go
Re: What to do now....(post posible heat damage). [Re: apuffball]
    #1563592 - 05/20/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry I cant help, its just too damn long to read

--------------------
Are things meant to happen, or are we meant to make things happen?

OfflineSaffron
Stranger
Re: What to do now....(post posible heat damage). [Re: apuffball]
    #1563606 - 05/20/03 05:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hehheh yea I guess its kinda long winded = /

I just hate it when people post but leave out a lot of detail hehheh.

I also dont have anyone to really talk to about this so I needed to 'vent' ; P

Saffron

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1563688 - 05/20/03 06:02 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Your mycelium could very well be dead. I'd give it a few more days and if there is still no growth, toss 'em and start over. If the mycelium is dead, then they probably wouldn't spawn any poo, but why not give it a try if you are just throwing them out anyway.

There is a lot of debate as to if the oven tek actually works. Anno has done some pretty convincing experiments to show that it doesn't, but some people still swear by it. I would suggest making syringes out of your print next time, and inoculating with those instead. This is much more sterile. But if inoculating straight from the print worked for you, then why change anything.

I don't understand what you mean by causing a lack of oxygen in the jars. Please explain.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineSaffron
Stranger
Re: What to do now....(post posible heat damage). [Re: Demiurge]
    #1563917 - 05/20/03 07:47 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the advice Demiurge, you rock.

Yea I thought something might start kickin' like a spore that didnt get mosturized.

The reason I mention lack of oxygen in the jars was just because I thought that since air expands and because thinner there would be less precious O2 because I have heard of people having to much C02 (or rather it settling to the bottom). And plus I didnt know how the different gases would behave like for all I know 02 could rise much quicker than C02 when heated and cause a prob? Anyway that was the some of the curiousitys behind the question. Also two jars that were opened grew faster...

I appriciate your answer. thanks,
Saffron

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1564826 - 05/21/03 12:47 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You should have some method of air exchange in your jars, so this shouldn't be a problem. Mycelium don't need a lot of oxygen to grow, but they do need it to be replaced occasionally. It is possible that your slow colonization is not due to heat, but instead a lack of air exchange. check out this link:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23733

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Edited by Demiurge (05/21/03 12:50 AM)

OfflineSaffron
Stranger
Re: What to do now....(post posible heat damage). [Re: Demiurge]
    #1566975 - 05/21/03 07:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't have any, that could be the problem. I will have to see, thanks man.

Saffron

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom