Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Calling It A Life
    #1562797 - 05/20/03 01:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm camping in this gigantic drunken mass of thousands of people, who are partying all day and night for four days. Cops are everywhere, beer cans and beer bottles are more common than trees, and every now and then I catch a whiff of pot smoke. Zoom in on a Saturday evening, the sun is still shining, and I am running through the bush after my friend Jon. Drunk and stoned, I'm smashing through the forest, collecting various insects and ticks all over me.

I come out to the clearing and see Jon walking towards the lake. This lake is deserted of people, full of wildlife. The sun is setting over the hills on the other side of the lake. Its beauty stuns me, and I have some kind of acid/drug flashback, I just want to stare at it, but I keep going. Jon is telling everyone he is suicidal and he's going to swim across the lake. Of course, no one believes him, but I caught the glimmer in his eye. He has it in him to do it, just like I have it in me.

I catch up to him on the shore.

A group of friends is trekking in behind us. Jon shouts: "You! People! Walk the other way." They do. I don't know how or why, but this group of people simply turns around and leaves. Is Jon telepathic? I look at him inquisitively. He gives me the look: this is how life goes.

"I'm going to swim into the lake Dave. Today is a good day to die. I'm calling it a life."

"Nah you can't. The water is too cold. You'll freeze. Its all slimey in there."

Jon takes off his shirt and is getting undressed.

"I dont care. I'm calling it a life. I don't know what the point of life is."

"Look at that sunset Jon. Its amazing. Look how the reflection on the lake makes a perfect line from the sun to us. Is it too beautiful to be real? We have to model that in virtual reality."

Jon doesnt care. "It cant be done."

"It already has been done! Someone somewhere has already done it. Sun, light, water waves, reflections. Its just a matter of putting all the pieces together"

"Well, I'm going in. And you're going to make a choice, if I live or die."

I counter, "I'm not the one making the choice. You are. You can stand here, or swim out there, or come back and drink with us. I have some weed."

"Lets smoke a j"

"I dont have it on me"

"Well then there is no point. Here I go. You're going to have to make a decision Dave. Swim after me and save me, or let me die. I'll be a corpse just floating out in the lake, I'll return to the sea."

"I'll see you in the next life then. If you go in there, I'm not coming out to get you. Look at all the seaweed and shit in there. Theres no fucking way!"

"Here I go" He takes off his shoes.

"Fuck you Jon! You cant get in, I'll tackle you and beat the shit out of you."

We rambled on like this for a good twenty minutes, until the sun set. I stared at the sun most of the time, and it was breathtakingly beautiful. I convinced Jon, or he convinced himself, and we went back and drank the night away. The whole time I was thinking, I could just swim out there, but I won't. Why was I throwing my life away, why did I want to end, and why didn't I take this opportunity? There is something about humanity that makes us want to save each other, to help each other, even when we hate ourselves. People can't simply kill themselves, because others will save them. It is only when we are alone that we can die.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Calling It A Life [Re: pattern]
    #1562808 - 05/20/03 02:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

[feels lump in throat]

Wow.

Anonymous

#1562827 - 05/20/03 02:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

People can't simply kill themselves, because others will save them. It is only when we are alone that we can die.

the truth :frown: 

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1562872 - 05/20/03 02:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I could never comprehend suicide.  :tongue:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1562931 - 05/20/03 02:45 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Wow is right...

The Power of Nature and Mother Earth is truly incredible. It sounds like Her spirit was there with the two of you that night, helping you to see the right path--helping you to see that Life truly is Beautiful. I can't be witness to a scene in Nature like the one you described without feeling that Life is ultimately worth living till the very end.

Good post, pattern!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: Calling It A Life [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1563030 - 05/20/03 03:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I can't be witness to a scene in Nature like the one you described without feeling that Life is ultimately worth living till the very end.

I know what you mean now... that sunset is burnt into my memory, I hope I never forget it.  Its great to get out of the city and wander into pure nature.  All in all one of the best weekends of my life, chasing women, getting very drunk with a huge crowd.  I cant remember the whole conversation we had (was stoned) but hope you enjoyed it. :smile: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1563161 - 05/20/03 04:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Pattern, your friend has some major problems dude...

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: Calling It A Life [Re: Strumpling]
    #1563283 - 05/20/03 05:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah he does! we all got problems, he's a good guy tho, always doing something funny or getting into trouble.

Life is a big problem, and we have to solve it. Can one find the solution and be a good person at the same time? I think its possible.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
    #1564287 - 05/20/03 11:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

wow that sounds like quite the night, sounds like you did a good job handling it.

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology