Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen
    #1559866 - 05/19/03 11:31 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

From everything I have read on these forums about Scott's 3 in 1 organic compost, many of you seem to think it works well, others say it doesn't w. the main reason being it is low in nitrogen. While at the store today I came across Bonemeal, which is a nitrogen supplement, I think the label read something like 1% ammonium nitrate and up to 11% nitrogen of some other form. Could one not supplement the Scott's 3 in 1 w. bonemeal to boost the nitrogen content?? The bonemeal also contained iron. Anyone know if this would work?? Thanks!!!

Visigoth

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen [Re: Visigoth]
    #1559903 - 05/19/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I would simply suggest you use higher spawn rates, and use the additional spawn as the vehicle for supplementation. It's the safest way to go, being that your supplement will already be encapsulated in mycelium.

Scott's 3 n 1 performs acceptably with high spawn rates.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen [Re: mycofile]
    #1559953 - 05/19/03 12:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

on a tangent...

I was recently at the Home Despot and asked for
the scott's 3n1.

they said that they did not carry it, but that it was
nothing more than equal parts scott's potting soil
and composted steer manure.

anyone have any thoughts on the validity of this?

I am not keen on buying this hook line and sinker
from the ex-felon working the garden department
at HD speaking broken english...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen [Re: afoaf]
    #1560052 - 05/19/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I have repeatedly posted that for economic reasons (shipping costs) Scott's 3-IN-1 content differs by the region where it is made. The bag & label are identical in every region, the content is NOT. One region does not ship it's product to another. In some regions (such as Florida & southeastern USA) it is 100% semi/composted manure (preferable). In other regions it contains a very high percentage of forest humus, wood, topsoil, etc. Meaning, it is not an ideal substrate. Read the fine print on the label yourself.

6T :tongue: 
(EDIT) data base must be corrupted :confused:, as the pic above will not enlarge when you click on it. So, you cannot read it & I didn't save the jpg in my system. Sorry, but that is what the first line of the label states. Look on the label on the bag.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (05/19/03 01:18 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen [Re: SixTango]
    #1560411 - 05/19/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

sorry, I must have missed that.

thank you for the follow up information 6T.

--------------------

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

#1560754 - 05/19/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, for arguments sake, let's say that the 3 in 1 in my region is in between, meaning: Not mostly manure, like it comes in florida, and not forest products, as comes in california. Instead it is strictly a mix of soil and manure, w. a low nitrogen content. Would supplementing the 3 in1 w. bonemeal be beneficial?? And if so, what ratios would one recommend to use when doing such a thing??

Visigoth

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1561077 - 05/19/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

visigoth, even in your circumstance you describe, I would use the spawn as the vehicle of supplementation.

But, if you insist, yes you could supplement with bonemeal, I"m not sure I would, and I'm pretty sure I'd want to sterilize (not just pasteurize) if I used it.

To suggest how much, you would need to know the nitrogen content of your scotts, and have a target nitrogen content in mind. There are many other important aspects other than nitrogen content though.

Bonemeal's nasty stuff, why do you want to use it so badly? Wheat is good, good for you, good for shrooms. Colonize a lot of it, and use it for the scotts.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#1561217 - 05/19/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

nutritional supplementation through
higher spawn ratios...

sublime.

--------------------

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

#1562627 - 05/20/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok ok, I'll jump off the bonemeal bandwagon. So how much higher of spawn ratios are we talking here. Rather than the normal 1:8 could one use 1:5?? And u could pasteurize the Scott's or u guys recommend sterilizing??

Visigoth

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1562699 - 05/20/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've seen people pasteurize scotts and get good results. I would imagine that would be the standard practice, all things being equal of course.

I think if you take 1 qt. to 2 pans, you'll be around 1:4 ratio by volume. I would expect that to get decent results regardless of the quality of scotts in your area. I would expect it to get pretty damn good results if you have quality scott's in your area.

Keep us updated.

--------------------

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

#1562717 - 05/20/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a ton everyone, I'll keep u all posted!!!

Visigoth

--------------------

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

#1568923 - 05/22/03 10:54 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, another problem has arisen. My friend pasteurized the Scott's just like he's always done the dung. When he came back 12 hours later to spawn the Scott's, it was still completely soaked and had the consistency of mud!!! How in the world do u pasteurize this stuff w. out it getting overly wet??!! Would it be better just to steam it in one of those wallpaper steamer/cooler contraptions?? Thanks!!!

Vis

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1569210 - 05/22/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey visi, how about copying that PM I sent you into this thread.

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1569825 - 05/22/03 04:13 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

you should keep copies, and paste them. I have started doing that, for when I explain something in PM. just an idea =)

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Invisiblecalicyco
Re: Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen [Re: Raadt]
    #1569907 - 05/22/03 04:56 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Perhaps you could post your explainations for the rest of the world to see instead of in a PM? Why would advice on scotts fertilizer be grounds to send a private message?

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
    #1569952 - 05/22/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

have you thought of pressure cooking the bonemeal in jars,i've done vermiculite this way.just add the water,mix and pressure cook.

--------------------

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen [Re: charvo]
    #1570600 - 05/22/03 09:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, here's the pm:

I put the stuff in waterproof bags (autoclavable bags w/out filter patch, or old zip top vermiculite perlite or peat moss bags, just make sure they don't have any holes). Then I put them in a pot of water where the temp was regulated, and interior temp monitored. Takes a while to heat up the center like that though. Probably about 4 hours or more. Keep the water temp below 180 F, and let it go for an hour after the center hits 150 or so. Probably heat on high until you get the water to 180, then turn down just to warm if you've got a lid on the pot, low-medium if not.

A steam treatment may work, I don't have any experience with the wallpaper steamer method, but liked the sounds of it.

So...basically, just keep the water about 180 for 4 hours, then the center will be warm enough, and I can just leave it for an hour after that??

Visigoth

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1572088 - 05/23/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Perhaps you could post your explainations for the rest of the world to see instead of in a PM? Why would advice on scotts fertilizer be grounds to send a private message?

It's ground for a PM, cuz I got a PM with a question in it, and answered it. Then I saw the thread and thought it'd be a good idea to share it. I don't save PM's cuz I get and send a whole lot of them ever since adding the invite to my sig. But, yes it would be a good idea if I did I suppose. BTW, I regularly ask people to share my pm advice in appropriate threads that they may be participating in.

Anyway, I also mentioned that 6T has recently posted a method of pasteurizing in oven bags in an oven which would (theoretically, never tried it) work as well as the bag in a pot that I described above, while preventing the oversoaked mud mess that straw style hot water pasteurization causes.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1572176 - 05/23/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>I also mentioned that 6T has recently posted a method of pasteurizing in oven bags in an oven

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23705

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: Scott's 3 in 1, use Bonemeal to boost nitrogen [Re: Anno]
    #1572591 - 05/23/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, well this is what I was worried about. I tried that method w. dung before, and the consistency was so off that it turned out unusable. Does anybody have any tips as to how much water u should use to the amount of dung ur using, just a general ratio maybe?? Thanks so much!!!

Vis

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates