Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Congress Debates Drug War Ads
    #1562642 - 05/20/03 12:19 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/05_15_03congress.cfm

Congress Debates Drug War Ads
Thur, May 15, 2003

A House Subcommittee today approved legislation that contains provisions authorizing drug czar John Walters to spend taxpayer money on television ads to influence voters to reject drug policy reforms. If enacted, these provisions will allow the government to use your hard-earned money to tell you what to think. Drug Czar John Walters could use the provision to spend tens of millions of taxpayer dollars every year to stop sensible drug policy reforms around the country.

The House Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy, and Human Resources approved the provision as part of HR 2086, the "Office of National Drug Control Policy Reauthorization Act of 2003." The provision authorizing anti-reform propaganda is buried within the section renewing the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign, a controversial ad campaign that cost taxpayers over a billion dollars in the last six years, despite numerous government studies showing it has failed to meet its intended goals of reducing drug use. If approved by the full Congress, Drug Czar John Walters would be able to spend almost a billion dollars over the next five years on the failed media campaign, including ads telling voters to oppose drug policy reform.

The Drug Policy Alliance is urging Members of Congress to cancel the expensive ad campaign and spend the money on drug treatment, after-school programs and other prevention programs that cost less and are proven to work. At a minimum, say experts at the Alliance, the anti-taxpayer provision should be taken out and the media campaign should only be approved for one year instead of five.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has found that the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign not only fails to reduce drug use, but also may make youth more likely to use marijuana in the future. According to NIDA, the ads may give youth the perception that drug use is common among their peers; and may also trigger what psychologists call "reactance" - the more someone is told what not to do, the more they want to do it. Other experts believe the ads are so ridiculous and over-the-top that young people dismiss them outright, assuming they?re being lied to.

The Drug Policy Alliance has been challenging the ad campaign for years, arguing the money could be better spent on drug treatment or other programs. Most recently, the Alliance led a national campaign to stop the White House?s ridiculous "drugs and terror" ads which compared non-violent marijuana smokers to terrorists. The Alliance took out a full-page ad in Roll Call (a newspaper that every politician in Washington, D.C reads), hosted a groundbreaking "drugs and terrorism" forum broadcasted on C-SPAN, and criticized the ads in newspapers, on radio shows, and on TV. Drug Czar John Walters canceled the "drugs and terror" ad campaign earlier this year and the ads are expected to stop running by the end of the year.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Congress Debates Drug War Ads [Re: motaman]
    #1563256 - 05/20/03 04:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

what a fucking outrage

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Congress Debates Drug War Ads [Re: Strumpling]
    #1563272 - 05/20/03 04:58 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

..yet hardly surprising...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Congress Debates Drug War Ads [Re: Rono]
    #1563343 - 05/20/03 05:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

none of it is suprising anymore..... which I think will start causing problems for them very soon

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinetrippinlizard
gridwalker

Loc: in the shade of the mushr...
Re: Congress Debates Drug War Ads [Re: motaman]
    #1563431 - 05/20/03 06:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I love how they slice a big chuck outta my pay check, and than spend it on brainwashing my peers against my beliefs (Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof) HA!

damn elite, trying to keep stealing from me and my friends.

I just want to alter my consciousness, is that so bad?
:confused: :confused: :confused: 

--------------------
fine. do what you want, but i'm drinking the water.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Congress Debates Drug War Ads [Re: trippinlizard]
    #1563524 - 05/20/03 06:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

We need a law saying the government can't spend taxpayer money influencing any vote.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service