Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Controlling Temps in terrarium...?
    #1561037 - 05/19/03 06:20 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

So CatDog was asking me the other day if i knew of any tips for lowering the temp in his terrarium. He tells me that the terrarium is a Sterlite clear-sided tub (white lid) with 2 inches perlite and 3/4 inch water. Air exchanges occur 2/3 times daily by fanning with the lid. The temp is running at 77-78F. He has succeeded at 75F before, but he was wanting to try to fruit at lets say closer to 70F. The box is raised off the carpet in a closet by four 1/2 pint jars. At least 4 feet away from the incubator.

Anyone have any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
Re: Controlling Temps in terrarium...? [Re: Dgrepo]
    #1561059 - 05/19/03 06:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

u could like freeze a bottle of water and throw it in ur terrarium at night(wipe w/ alchohol), i think this may even simulate the natural drop in temp at night, just an idea never tried it before

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Re: Controlling Temps in terrarium...? [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1561070 - 05/19/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

CatDog has done similar by putting pieces of ice inside and allowingthem to melt. But this added water inside (unwanted). I guess a bottle of ice wrapped in a towel underneath could ower the temp for quiet a few hours. I will recommend this.

-Thanks

OfflineArtifice
Poet

#1561902 - 05/19/03 10:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

To raise or lower temp at will with out the mess of excess water use one of those heaat/cold packs you use to help relive pain on a sprained ankle or banged knee and place it in the terrarium. you know what im talking about. Ive never tried it but it might be worth the experiment.

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: Controlling Temps in terrarium...? [Re: Artifice]
    #1562319 - 05/20/03 03:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

If you're going to be using the terrarium over and over, "icing" it can get tedious. A friend's buddy's terrarium was too warm due to being in a warm room, and he ran a cool mist humidifier (ebay, $12) into it with a tube used for dryer vents ($7 w/ masking tape). He then ran this twice a day, and it kept things nice and cool in there, not to mention humid.

-FB

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Re: Controlling Temps in terrarium...? [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #1562423 - 05/20/03 06:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

well the humidity is not a problem, and CatDog has been searching for a permanent solution so that it can be left alone without having to maintain it every 6-10 hours.

I will recommend to CatDog that cool mist humidifier.

Does anyone else have any home "rememdies" besides adding equipment that increases RH and temp. The RH is fine. CatDog doesnt want to adjust it. Only the temp. He's been banging his head against this wall quiet a bit.

He did raise the box another 2 inches off the floor (4" total). The sides of the box are now insulated with foam, and the 4 inch gap underneath has a brownie pan full of frozen water wrapped in a large bath towel stuck underside. This will work for now.

OfflineMetaMountain
New hand

Loc: FromSoFarAwayYouWontBelie...
    #1562456 - 05/20/03 07:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok I have a very similar problem so this is what i do:

I freeze bottles of water like plastic bottles 1 litre ones take them outta the freezer spray them with a strong solution of Hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) and keep them in the chamber...i do this every time it goes into the mushroom space and tend to use the same bottles...do this to keep contams at bay...I keep a check on the temps so i know when to chage the bottle...after the temps stablise at what i want them to be i usually have to do this only once daily....your mileage may vary depending on the size of your chamber etc.....

Oh btw...When you fill the bottles and cap them keep a little space otherwise they break..cause the water expands if u fill them to the brim...

This method requires the use of a freezer that can be a problem with some people and the perlite travels around that house as the bottles are carried around :grin:(sticks to them A little)

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Re: Controlling Temps in terrarium...? [Re: MetaMountain]
    #1572224 - 05/23/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

ok, as lazy as CatDog is, he ended up freezing a muffin pan full of water, wrapping it in a bath towel then wrapped in a trashbag and placed it under the terrarium raised off the floor 4 inches. all around the sides all the way to the floor is foam insulation. the pan dropped the temp to 69F, then after the ice melted ~1day later, the temp has remained below 74F since this thread posted 4 days ago. I guess the wet towel and the foam provided anough cooling and insulation that it has served more long term than expected. And the humidity isnt affected becasue everything is outside the terrarium. *note: 2 airstones are in the bottom of the perlite to help circulate CO2 from the perlite. i've read CO2 sinks. also distributing cooled air because the cool area is underneath.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale