Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted
    #1560057 - 05/19/03 02:55 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Would This Work Or Am I Just Wasting Time? [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1560081 - 05/19/03 03:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This has been done, and it does work....providing a sort of "air exchange" i suppose, however, im not sure what you mean about not needing to water it....

What i would do is a 50/50 casing with peat, make a large casing, and spread rye grass seed overtop of the casing layer...It would be just like a natural mushroom patch, mushrooms growing out of grass. A misting once in awhile would suffice.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Loc: Chongqing, China
Re: Would This Work Or Am I Just Wasting Time? [Re: PDU]
    #1560117 - 05/19/03 03:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i bet the grass and mush would compete for the same nutrients and surface area if you used that setup. maybe not a great idea, but it seems logical that vegatation and mush would support eachother in terms of air exchange.

i don't know if anybodies ever tried this, but perhaps using sod in the place of perlite would provide enough humidity and also improve air exchange- kinda like having an automated, mini-ecosystem for a fruiting chamber. you would have to find the right type of grass that emits alot of moisture-- it would an intersting experiment.

OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Loc: MI
Re: Would This Work Or Am I Just Wasting Time? [Re: chineseguy]
    #1560425 - 05/19/03 04:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I'm a forestry student, let me at this one... Plants have two special cells on the underside of their leaves, these are called stomata. These cells are chemically induced to open and close in relation to how much water is actually available to the plants in the surrounding environment. The plants bring water up by opening the stomata and pushing out co2, this partial vaccume combined with water's cohesive / adhesive properties draws water up from the roots and into the leaves for photosynthesis (like sucking on a straw). Here the h20 is broken up and remixed chemically to make sugers and the such. Now, the plant has to expend energy and nutrients to bring the water up and in an ideal environement it will release the water (transpiration) at a rate only equal to what it is taking up. If their is less h2o in the environment than in the plant it will hoard the water by closing the stomates, thereby reducing the actual amount of RH in the system. This idea would require HUGE water reseviors (mature trees use about 100 gal. an hour in the Northern Boreal forest) and would quickly (emphasis on quickly) suck up all the h2o in a contained environment, depriving the growing mushrooms. It only works in nature because the soil is the biggest water / nutrient / resource sink in the world. Sorry for the length here, but I wouldn't recommend putting plants in with the shrooms if they're not in a seperate container (read Jiffy pot).

--------------------
Nothing is idiot proof. Just need a real talented idiot.

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: BetMomIsProud]
    #1560657 - 05/19/03 06:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation